Villa Park transport

OutByEaster?

On 10/02/2024 at 13:36, sne said:

City where I live have a shuttle bus service together with the local ice hockey club and the with pubs in the city centre. You buy a beer or some food ahead of the game and you get a free ticket to the buses for travel before and after the game. Works great.

They also do this at Brighton, Your match ticket also includes free local public transport 

Simply just show your match ticket to the bus driver or at the barrier of the train station and they let you on for free. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Kingman said:

They also do this at Brighton, Your match ticket also includes free local public transport 

Simply just show your match ticket to the bus driver or at the barrier of the train station and they let you on for free. 

It'll be interesting to see how they do that in the world of contactless tickets. I guess they'll have to integrate with whatever contactless system public transport is using.

Edgbaston runs a shuttle bus service (the 501) from New Street to the stadium on its major matchdays - obviously the attendances are a lot smaller and not everyone arrives at once, but they always seem pretty well used. That said, an awful lot of people walk that journey to or from the city centre.

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Well I'm sure they'll be happy because the new trains represent a 25% increase in capacity over the old trains. The carriages are significantly more spacious. 

So more crammed in sardines if there's an event on in town? Guess they'll be modelled on the overground trains/Thameslink ones around London that have very few seats but very wide and no doors either so you can pretty much walk from end to end easily.

Better trains are on the snow hill lines imo, again coupled together they are usually 5-6 carriages with good standing room so West Brom fans going to their games are getting a better service than we are.

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

Platform extensions were talked about last year but seems to have gone quiet 

11 car Pendolinos football specials straight into New Street/Walsall will facilitate that

Maximum for Aston is six. Given it's right by a junction aswell I'm pretty sure it's very unrealistic to get more on as then part of it would be over the bridge and wouldn't be able to open the doors.

People can suggest that but get off at Aston at the front and walk down the platform to the end and you'll see it couldn't cater any eight carriage train even.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

So more crammed in sardines if there's an event on in town? Guess they'll be modelled on the overground trains/Thameslink ones around London that have very few seats but very wide and no doors either so you can pretty much walk from end to end easily.

Better trains are on the snow hill lines imo, again coupled together they are usually 5-6 carriages with good standing room so West Brom fans going to their games are getting a better service than we are.

Is it worth continuing with this? You've been told existing trains are formed of 3 x 3 into six carriage formations, the same will be true of the new trains which have 25% more carrying capacity. 

I'm done here. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Is it worth continuing with this? You've been told existing trains are formed of 3 x 3 into six carriage formations, the same will be true of the new trains which have 25% more carrying capacity. 

I'm done here. 

Ah Sid didn't realise you were working for West Midlands Railway PR.😂

From the press release it appears it's just three carriages:

Class 730 fleet | West Midlands Railway

New electric class 730 fleet:

• 48 trains in 3 car formation to replace the Class 323s and doubling capacity for passengers on the Cross-City line

Nothing at all about 3 + 3 or bolting two sets together as you get currently. I was also coming back from town in the week and when it stopped at Aston the new fleet was coming in on the other side at same time from Walsall, pretty sure that was just three carriages rather than six.

From the way it's worded it just means they'll be more space in single three carriage train that arrives but for anyone that has the misfortune to get on one at rush hour at New Street you are basically crammed into the doors so won't be that great a reduction.

So that's my main point, you aren't going to actually see them coupled together very much so will be issues if they tried that on matchdays.

Less than half hour to go to kick off and I've gone all Portillo on this thread!

On 06/02/2024 at 19:04, nick76 said:

I drive for a number of reasons.

we used to have police at key points to traffic control, this aided massively to the traffic flow getting away from the ground, as an example an officer on the Lichfield Road.

Now I know that costs money but made a big difference in time it took to get away and stopped a lot of road rage from various motorists and buses.

If we can’t pay the police, then approved by the police public traffic control people maybe? I think this would aid the driving section of this question.  I’ve not really had trouble accessing parking.

I am now considering Public transport, due to the "free for all", of trying to get away from the ground after the match....I have experienced the road rage, first hand, too.

The manned Junctions is a brilliant idea, and would control the flows more steadily, it used to happen, years back.....The Junction at Lichfield Rd and Aston Hall Rd, is like a scene from, Mad Max and the Thunderdrome.

I have just discovered a special bus from Tamworth to Villa Park AV1 so I will be checking that out.

Public transport, is a huge answer to the problem, but it has to be managed properly.....too many cars, converge on Villa Park, and want to enter and exit at the same time, naturally.....that has to be an issue. However, detering that issue, before a solution is sought, is not the answer either.

I remember as a kid.....all the buses lined up outside Villa Park, going to their various destinations, around the city..it helps prevent loose cannons meandering around up to no good too.

It could and should be arranged much better than it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Noted that the football special to Witton was back again last night, seems to me to be just for the European games.

Was a bit strange considering it went against the club advice for home fans to use Aston, unless it was for aways fans. The announcements at New Street were in English not Dutch like previous games which suggests not.

Not sure if the railways and the club were on the same page, maybe one for the FAB group to discuss with the club.

Vill used to run the AV1 bus service from Nuneaton station on matchday to Villa park, they got rid of it though….was quite busy on the day too. Don’t think it would work out that well round here now tho, most people either drive or get the train if they want a drink and that bus had a no booze policy. People have moved on now 

Â