Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Mate we have made gigantic losses. Our revenue is tiny compared to the teams around us. One of Luiz, Ramsey, Martinez or Watkins will go.

It's just reality. Don't do it and we will get deducted points.

I’m taking a wait and see approach rather than be negative or scared during our best season in yonks…

the last comment Unai made on this was “it is not a drama”…

If he’s not worried, I won’t be either…

Let’s see rather than worry…

• Like 3

Just now, villarule123 said:

OK Chris

Keep burying your head in the sand I don't care.

The finances known are there. They show one clear thing. To comply with bullshit PSR it will happen. Are you ignoring Emery saying as much last week?

Just now, Jas10 said:

I’m taking a wait and see approach rather than be negative or scared during our best season in yonks…

the last comment Unai made on this was “it is not a drama”…

If he’s not worried, I won’t be either…

Let’s see rather than worry…

I don't see it as negative. Just reality! Doesn't take a shine off the amazing season so far. Just looking ahead.

Keep burying your head in the sand I don't care.

The finances known are there. They show one clear thing. To comply with bullshit PSR it will happen. Are you ignoring Emery saying as much last week?

I'll wait until something official is announced regarding FFP/finances rather than bedwetting over things people are putting out on Twitter. 

Emery said we would have to sell players to buy in the January window, we only got rid of players we didn't want and replaced them with players for the future. For all we know he means we'll be getting rid of the deadwood to buy players this summer too. We're lucky that we don't really need to upgrade on the first 11 this summer so maybe we'll just be replacing squad players this summer too. 

You're making out that selling one of our big players this summer is a fact. It isn't, only the people running the club know that unless you're a board member and we don't know. 

We might sell a big player this summer. As I've said a lot on here, I'm worried Luiz has some kind of clause in his contract as he signed it when he wasn't even starting games. Let's just wait and see and not believe everything we read on Twitter. 

• Like 1

I don't see it as negative. Just reality! Doesn't take a shine off the amazing season so far. Just looking ahead.

Ok but I wasn’t just focussing on you, there’s been too much talk of selling key players recently and it’s not a pleasant subject. It’s repeated constantly too.

For example, Unai was asked directly about Ramsey and clearly stated that he wants him to stay and to work with him - he’s not available. But people keep discussing his sale as some sort of foregone conclusion. Unai has been praising and talking about Dougie’s importance and the demands placed on him as well… it would set us back hugely to lose such a player. It’s not easy and quick to replace them… just as he has stated.

Simply, we have next to no idea on our situation when compared to those at the club. We will generate revenue and boost our finances in other ways rather than just focus on selling players too (it’s not the be all and end all)… again, there are dispensable ones we can move on without harming or weakening our first team…

Maybe being negative and moaning all the time is why we can’t have nice things as Villa fans…

"We follow the rules, but we are having a lot of meetings with the owners. It is not a drama," he said.

"We have to try and get a balance, but we are in this way. We are trying to have a plan and we have to get something in the balance, doing some decisions in our way.

"We want to improve the team always - and the squad - and to continue building and be stronger. But in case we have to follow some rules and take that one decision to change something in the squad, we will have to do."

8 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I'll wait until something official is announced regarding FFP/finances rather than bedwetting over things people are putting out on Twitter. 

Emery said we would have to sell players to buy in the January window, we only got rid of players we didn't want and replaced them with players for the future. For all we know he means we'll be getting rid of the deadwood to buy players this summer too. We're lucky that we don't really need to upgrade on the first 11 this summer so maybe we'll just be replacing squad players this summer too. 

You're making out that selling one of our big players this summer is a fact. It isn't, only the people running the club know that unless you're a board member and we don't know. 

We might sell a big player this summer. As I've said a lot on here, I'm worried Luiz has some kind of clause in his contract as he signed it when he wasn't even starting games. Let's just wait and see and not believe everything we read on Twitter. 

Yep, I think people are jumping to conclusions or even misinterpreting Unai’s comments. He’s never said we will or will have to sell an important or key player… not specifically or explicitly.

He has just said “players” or “changes to the squad”… that can be taken in different ways. We have been trimming the fat in recent windows and will continue to do so…

It was reported that we immediately rejected offers and enquiries for key players last summer too…

Once again, we have dispensable players that we can generate funds from.

Like he said, “it is not a drama”, we are on top of it.

We’ve just tied down two of our best players to new contracts too, Watkins and Bailey… isn’t that an indication of the direction we are going in?

I can only see a big player leaving IF a huge offer comes in… but from where? How many clubs can afford huge transfer fees now?

Also… how many of our key players would actually want to leave when we are in such a good place and doing so well? They look like a really happy bunch…Unai has created that family atmosphere, just as he had intended…

-

I’m not sure that Dougie has a clause and have always wondered whether he was informed that we intended to appoint Unai when he signed that deal… 🤔 

He clearly loves it at Villa and is integral… could possibly be Unai’s most valued player… 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

The relationship between Doug and Unai seems really strong and I’m sure he would be loathe to let him leave… it would be a major setback.

If we manage to qualify for CL… I can’t imagine anyone wanting out…

I still believe that it would take a huge offer and genuine interest from the player for anyone important to leave.

The gaffer helps us so much. The character of Ollie and Leon, it is great to have them in my team”. 

Luiz on his performances under Unai Emery: "I just think he has lifted me, it is the truth. He has told me every day, you need to defend, and if you go you need to score."

Unai Emery typically challenged Douglas Luiz mid-game: "He lost the first two balls in the second half and I told him 'please Douglas, you are a key player for us to keep confidence playing in our style'. He took control of the game with his skills and gave us confidence."

"I was speaking with him and told him he is very important for us and Aston Villa and progressing a lot but: ‘You can do more. I am going to try and push you to do more. Of course I am very happy for your call up and think it is very important for you and the club as well.’

"I think he can take more responsibility in our build-up. Of course he is scoring a lot of goals but he can add more assists, as a midfielder for our strikers. He can be more of a protagonist with the ball, I think.

“We believe in the group, we believe in Unai and we know he has so much experience. Everyone is happy and we need to keep going and continue.”

Edited by Jas10

20 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Mate we have made gigantic losses. Our revenue is tiny compared to the teams around us. One of Luiz, Ramsey, Martinez or Watkins will go.

It's just reality. Don't do it and we will get deducted points.

Is it? Even if it is, I can just ignore it and enjoy the rest of this season....;).

i.can.i.will.i.must

I’m not afraid to sell one of our first XI to re-invest in the team as long as it doesn’t become the norm. We have a structure now whereby I trust the process and if they feel it’s the right move then so be it. 

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I’m not afraid to sell one of our first XI to re-invest in the team as long as it doesn’t become the norm. We have a structure now whereby I trust the process and if they feel it’s the right move then so be it. 

In this context it shouldn’t be forgotten, that in 1981 and in 1982 two of our probsbly biggest if not definitely biggest stars of all time, ie. Andy Gray through moving on and Brian Little through injury were no longer playing for us but things turned out quite well in the end, a bit nervy at times perhaps but we got there in the end.  UTV!!!

• Like 2

On 29/02/2024 at 00:11, Philosopher said:

I agree with pretty much except, that Tim hasn't had enough time to make an impact in the two sub appearances he made.  You comment on Tim was unfair. 

Otherwise, absolutely have to keep our best players. I have said the same time and again.

Tim did nothing to change my opinion again today. Way off the pace. Looks like he needs a loan before he's ready for first team consideration.

The CM roles are very demanding, hence even experienced guys like Dendonker and Tielemans struggling there. 

Ultimately we’re all guessing but I very much doubt we have to sell a key player to avoid a points deduction re PSR. If that was the case the club wouldn’t have signed three development players for a significant transfer fee total in January. 

I suspect that we can meet PSR and raise funds for a couple of transfers through a couple of relatively straightforward disposals (Donks, Sanson, Digne, Cash, Carlos etc) and some well structured sponsorships (ie up front payments) including the adidas deal etc. 

The point re selling a key player would be to give us huge headroom to operate in the summer. Ie sell Doug and then have the ability to buy a world class replacement, an elite RB, Nico Williams and his brother etc . 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Ultimately we’re all guessing but I very much doubt we have to sell a key player to avoid a points deduction re PSR. If that was the case the club wouldn’t have signed three development players for a significant transfer fee total in January. 

I suspect that we can meet PSR and raise funds for a couple of transfers through a couple of relatively straightforward disposals (Donks, Sanson, Digne, Cash, Carlos etc) and some well structured sponsorships (ie up front payments) including the adidas deal etc. 

The point re selling a key player would be to give us huge headroom to operate in the summer. Ie sell Doug and then have the ability to buy a world class replacement, an elite RB, Nico Williams and his brother etc 

There's around 16 teams making noise about having to sell players because of FFP 

We'll then see the record spending again this summer 

I dont believe any of it 

Edited by villa4europe

17 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

In this context it shouldn’t be forgotten, that in 1981 and in 1982 two of our probsbly biggest if not definitely biggest stars of all time, ie. Andy Gray through moving on and Brian Little through injury were no longer playing for us but things turned out quite well in the end, a bit nervy at times perhaps but we got there in the end.  UTV!!!

looking back, thank God Brian had that injury

41 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The point re selling a key player would be to give us huge headroom to operate in the summer. Ie sell Doug and then have the ability to buy a world class replacement, an elite RB, Nico Williams and his brother etc . 

Selling a core first team player to improve the team and/or squad is a massive risk and far more likely to harm the team than help it.

Diaby was the biggest money signing last year, and he's not even in our strongest eleven.

Diego Carlos the year before and he's not even in our strongest eleven.

Buendia the year before and he's not even in our strongest eleven.

Watkins was the year before that, and tbf he is amazing. But we had a much different squad back then and an example of why we needed to spend big was that he only had to be better than Samatta and a broken Wesley and a never fit Keinan Davis to be the best at his position. The team needs to maintain it's key personnel now more than it needs that kind of investment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surely the noise is “we will have to sell to buy big” rather than “sell to be safe for PSR” 2 massively different statements, both on current financials and not what we could end up with, Prize money for 4th, ECL win and CL qualifiers all boost the coffers in many ways.   

same as jan, we moved on to bring in - which is prob (in my eyes) more to protect summer budgets, which we plan in - winter window is a chance to fix things, we didn’t need fixing. 

We don’t need a massive overhaul, 1 big deal would be nice buy not essential.  We have done the rebuild - if we can find a gem of a DM or ST then awesome.

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

looking back, thank God Brian had that injury

Unusually, I can't agree with you, unless you are referring to that potential transfer to the dark side, that was scuppered by injury. We were robbed of an immense talent through an injury that killed his career, I still can't really be anything but devastated about that and I suspect that Gary Shaw would have made his mark in any case. Who knows we could have seen Shaw, Little and Withe playing together, as we had previously seen Deehan, Little and Gray do so.

Edited by John

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, John said:

Unusually, I can't agree with you, unless you are referring to that potential transfer to the dark side, that was scuppered by injury. We were robbed of an immense talent through an injury that killed his career, I still can't really be anything but devastated about that and I suspect that Gary Shaw would have made his mark in any case. Who knows we could have seen Shaw, Little and Withe playing together, as we had previously seen Deehan, Little and Gray do so.

That is exactly what I am referring to mate. For me, he is the best player I’ve ever seen in a Villa shirt. My Mum used to work with his first wife’s Mother so I was lucky to meet him a couple of times in his hay day.(making bra’s) 

If his proposed £600,000 (what on earth would he be worth in today’s market? )move across the city had happened I would not have the fondest memories for him now as I do. I know this is selfish but he was our Brian and nobody else’s, especially them lot. He would’ve been a success at the sty because he was too good, not to be even taking into account the gypsy curse. 

I like you have often wondered what the three of them are playing together would have been like but the reality is if the injury had not been found he would’ve been plying his trade there. It was a done deal. God forbid they might of even won something

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With FFP we will NEVER be able to compete with Arse, Ure, Plop, Citeeeh, Chelsk or Spuds. Not sure that is to the benefit of the Prem League tbh.

Nor will Noocastle.

Without FFP , i think Emery would have bought in Jan

• Like 1

Anyone think Doughty from Luton is worth a punt if Digne gets sold in the summer?

still only 24, can whip a mean ball in from the left and one of Luton’s better performers this season. 

• Like 1

Â