Joe Gauci

wishywashy

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

He was pretty good - but I think you're viewing him through koala-tinted glasses tbh 

We were in the championship, he was at the end of his career, still a PL standard DM in his prime. He also helped reset the culture in the club which helped us get promoted.

He gave Villa great service on and off the field.

Being an Aussie has nothing to do with it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

We were in the championship, he was at the end of his career, still a PL standard DM in his prime. He also helped reset the culture in the club which helped us get promoted.

"Great" is doing some very heavy lifting here.

28 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I think he’s actually one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play for Villa. Had the mobility of a bag of sand and regularly got skinned by poor championship players. Couldn’t pass the ball five yards. He may have been a better player earlier in his career but he was incredibly limited at Villa. Signing players like him and Glenn Whelan kept us in the championship longer than we should have been in my opinion. He seems to have a cult hero status for having a beard, winning headers, being good at taking penalties and for being a decent guy, but I thought he was bloody awful as a player. 

50 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

I think he’s actually one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play for Villa. Had the mobility of a bag of sand and regularly got skinned by poor championship players. Couldn’t pass the ball five yards. He may have been a better player earlier in his career but he was incredibly limited at Villa. Signing players like him and Glenn Whelan kept us in the championship longer than we should have been in my opinion. He seems to have a cult hero status for having a beard, winning headers, being good at taking penalties and for being a decent guy, but I thought he was bloody awful as a player. 

I remember one game, may have been against Blues where he was an absolute monster and won everything in the air.

But my main memory is how awful his passing was for us. Remember going to Preston away and he made a shocking back pass which cost us a goal early on. Also remember Sheff Utd at home when we came back to draw 3-3, his passing in that first half was nothing short of abysmal. Was misplacing everything.

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Really? Nothing at all?

3 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

He came into the club when we were in a bad situation and he helped behind the scenes with the leadership group as well as on the pitch. He won games for us with his penalty taking and he was part of the reason why we got back in the PL. He then took up a role within the club after being released for several years.

Your opinion has to be more than what you see on the field, it includes what you do off the field and on the training pitch.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Really? Nothing at all?

No nothing at all. I read enough to remember what previous coaches and players said about Jedinak and the leadership role he played while at the club. Maybe just do some more reading….

6 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

He came into the club when we were in a bad situation and he helped behind the scenes with the leadership group as well as on the pitch. He won games for us with his penalty taking and he was part of the reason why we got back in the PL. He then took up a role within the club after being released for several years.

Your opinion has to be more than what you see on the field, it includes what you do off the field and on the training pitch.

Yup. No ozzie bias here and this is my view too. He won us some games, he cost us the odd goal. But it's more important than that, he was a key part of the cultural shift that turned us around.

9 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

No nothing at all. I read enough to remember what previous coaches and players said about Jedinak and the leadership role he played while at the club. Maybe just do some more reading….

So why were you so pleased to see another Australian sign for us if it has absolutely no impact whatsoever on your perception of players? 

15 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Indeed. Great is crazy hyperbole though. He essentially did what he was paid to do for an incredibly short period. 

How would you describe McGrath, McGinn, Sid Cowans, etc?

On topic - it does sound like Gauci is being brought to understudy this year and cups for next season? Probably depends on an Olsen move. 

12 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I remember one game, may have been against Blues where he was an absolute monster and won everything in the air.

He also wrestled several of their players who were trying to push him over the halfway line so they could kick off whilst the rest of our team were celebrating a goal in the corner of the pitch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Indeed. Great is crazy hyperbole though. He essentially did what he was paid to do for an incredibly short period. 

How would you describe McGrath, McGinn, Sid Cowans, etc?

There’s a difference between being a great servant for the club and being a club Great as a player. McGrath is a legend, Cowans a Great and McGinn potentially being a club legend. Language has different meanings depending on how it is used.

10 hours ago, lexicon said:

So why were you so pleased to see another Australian sign for us if it has absolutely no impact whatsoever on your perception of players? 

Becuase I know of his potential as a player and I’ve supported Villa since 1976 an Aussie GK playing in the PL will mean more news about Villa in Australia. He earned his move and it’s with the club I support. If he was ordinary I would be questioning why we signed him.

Â