Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

On 20/01/2024 at 15:48, Tom13 said:

Some people can spot player potential, others are more or less blind to it.

Well, maybe you are a better man than me at spotting potential......Maybe you could forsee he was going to turn out like this, bully for you.........I go with what I see, as I am not great at predictions.

If I was good at seeing potential, I'd get a job in a football club.....but as I am only a spectator, I will go with what I see at the time.

Think all I've seen since news broke about us bidding for him is comparisons to Philogene and some people not being excited about this signing (could be more on Twitter then here tbh)

Way I see it, Emery/Monchi have probably been watching Rogers for a while. I trust Emery's judgement on players and if he wants to sign him then I look forward to seeing him in a Villa shirt. Not really seen much of him so no idea what to expect. I remember not being excited about Moreno last January and that turned out to be a good signing. For whatever reason Emery wasn't convinced with Philogene and I don't expect him to come back to Villa at all. 

Considering we have reportedly made 3 bids for him, the first 2 were rejected quite quickly yet we have not heard nothing about the 3rd bid which makes me think there's an agreement of some sort that he plays his final game for Middlesbrough against Chelsea and it will get wrapped up fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

I have no idea, if it is a good move.....just trust the boys that are paid to know.

buts he's tall, so I'm warming to it.

what is there not to like😛

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

People don't seem to have latched onto the fact that Rogers is playing a different role this season, he's not longer a winger, but a No.10, playing through the middle, his vision and creativity has become one of his strong points.

It reminds me of when we signed Cash and Watkins with both of those it based on them having one good season in a new position but those new postions helped them move up to a completely different level to what they had been previously, Cash was an average at best midfielder, and Watkins was an okay winger, but nowhere near as he was to become as a centre-forward.

......6'4

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

I think we may see him in the middle, if he signs. Emery and Co have obviously seen something in him that ticks the boxes for them and us. 

It's the ceiling - he has a bit of everything about him, including great physical attributes, and if you can develop a player like that, you're laughing.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's the ceiling - he has a bit of everything about him, including great physical attributes, and if you can develop a player like that, you're laughing.

I agree, it's these types of signings that excite, everything to gain and very little risk. Kesler as well, great recall, one I think will make a big impact and shock a few of us. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yup don’t see why people can see this with Duran. Different players of course but both have great physical attributes which is well and truly needed for the premier league .

• Like 2

He'll be seeing what we've done with Watkins turning a young English striker from the Champ into a league superstar and England international.

Probably buzzing out his tits for this move!

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have no idea, if it is a good move.....just trust the boys that are paid to know.

buts he's tall, so I'm warming to it.

what is there not to like😛

I trust in their judgement although I know little about him. We look to be signing players that will be part of our long term future as well as the present.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Yup don’t see why people can see this with Duran. Different players of course but both have great physical attributes which is well and truly needed for the premier league .

100% - they seem to focus on what's missing rather than the foundation he has to build his game on but then not everyone has an eye for potential. Duran could be an unreal player. 

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I like to watch 5-minute clips of players on YouTube and then make my mind up.

I also email the club giving my opinions as I'm quite a big deal when it comes to internet scouting. 😎

You just love the music they add to the clips

• Haha 1

I trust Villa to judge his potential far more than myself going on YouTube and Fotmob. 

I trust Unai and his coaches to make a player the best they can be if they listen and buy into him. 

It's great buying big name players like Diaby, Pau and so but you also have to create them to function as a whole. 

I know little to nothing about the guy but the management we have do and deserve our trust in this move. 

In relation to Fotmob, whilst I had a quick look, he's played the equivalent of 14.5 full games this season with 2 goals and 6 assists.

If he maintained that over a full season, ignoring the chance of bettering it, it would be roughly 43.5 games, 6 goals and 18 assists. 

If all else fails, he's 6'4" according to Wiki so we can shove him in DM to win headers and be a nuisance. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I watch a lower league football occasionally often see players pull off unbelievable skill - highlight reel stuff and crowd comments are often “why isn’t this lad playing in the premier league” the truth they simply aren’t good enough as athletes there are thousands of extremely talented players playing at lower levels. A big difference I’ve seen between Rodgers and JPB other than physical attributes is the amount of time they spend on the ball Rodgers releases that ball so much quicker, players simply don’t have the time in the premier league to dribble past players like they did in the past. Rodgers looks like a fit for a modern system team.

I definitely agree that the athleticism is very important but for me, the mental part of the game - as you mentioned with Rogers vs. JPB - is the real difference maker. Decision-making, composure and concentration are absolutely vital, especially with the way Emery plays. 

• Like 1

Â