Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I was disappointed, when a section of the fanbase booed Cameron, after scoring....It was uncalled for.

The lad never deserved that......he has been one of us, for so long and didn't want to leave..... we got good spons for him £20 mill

Cameron did his job, for his employer......some of the reactions was childish and spiteful.

If anyone, was going to score against us for Sheff, I'm glad it was Cam......keep that buy back clause interesting....and shows what a decent academy we have.

We can't keep all our academy players happy and some have to move on, with our blessing.....but surely us fans should have some respect, when they come home, and show what a good job we have done with them.

Shame on those who turned on him.

When he was substituted he had a standing ovation from the trinity and the North stand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kidlewis said:

This is one of the worst decisions against us ever…. I can’t think of any apart from the Mings incident v Man City which was as bad as this 

Blimey I wasn't aware of that incident - absolutely blatant non-accidental hand to ball handball. How could VAR not call that?  Unbelievable.

OK ... the officiating was really poor.  

• The push in Watkins' back
  • Possibly the two handballs
  • Ramsey being manhandled on the line
  • The new phase of play goal by Bailey
  • The foul on Duran, and giving them a free kick which led to Archer's goal

These were errors which affected the outcome of the game. 

I thought the players were fine, but the ponderous tactics against a low block don't work. I gave Lenglet the PotM, more because he did well for his full premier debut.

This draw, for me, is on Emery. He has to give the players the tools and permission to try and break down the low block. I would sooner see more intercepted passes and unsuccessful runs at the defence. Don't let the opposition set up the low-block catch them on the counter.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

We needed to move the ball a lot quicker against sheff , playing the so called patient ball just enabled their block and they did not get out of shape most of the game. Tinkering with players takes away their natural mode of play and therefore you get that player at 70%,  and we all know bailey and Diaby play in the same space so they should get a half each because what use is a shadow to us. We were set up wrong and some do not have the fitness yet but without our ball winner it was a struggle to get going all night with people  blaming the ref and var but if we do our job and play as a team we should blow these away.

Emery made an interesting point in post match interviews, about how we lost control of the game after the disallowed goal, effectively allowing heads to drop and Sheff U to mount some useful attacks for the first time in the game.

I think his view was if we had just kept calm and stuck to the game plan, another moment would have come - like the Zaniolo moment - that even PGMOL couldn’t rule out, and we would have won.

There is something in this and it is a counterview to the talk here about how we were set up wrong etc. 

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Emery made an interesting point in post match interviews, about how we lost control of the game after the disallowed goal, effectively allowing heads to drop and Sheff U to mount some useful attacks for the first time in the game.

I think his view was if we had just kept calm and stuck to the game plan, another moment would have come - like the Zaniolo moment - that even PGMOL couldn’t rule out, and we would have won.

There is something in this and it is a counterview to the talk here about how we were set up wrong etc. 

We weren't set up wrong, we had a perfectly good goal disallowed. Yes we made hard work of breaking them down but we did plenty enough to win... if that goal wasn't chalked off we probably would have scored another two. 

I have no worries going forward, we'll beat United and Burnley and be top for new year.

• Like 3

Couple of relatively minor things that wound me up the other night at Villa Park, after my first visit for a while. 

From where I was sitting I wasn't sure who'd scored for Sheffield Utd, of course my assumption was that it would be Archer, but nevertheless would've have appreciated some confirmation. I was amazed that none was forthcoming. Is this now standard when the opposition score? If so, how petty.

And what's the deal with not announcing the attendance? It seems that they don't even release it to the media. Weird.

Oh, and one other thing. As the teams scrolled across the scoreboard at the beginning of the match they'd spelt Konsa wrong! It appeared as Konza 🤦 ffs

Edited by chips'ngravy
  • Shocked 2

18 hours ago, PaulC said:

I think we were a bit too predictable.  Moving it slowly. Yes I agree about Mcginn. Its hard for the best sides to break down such an organised low block and we are still learning. 

I don’t think it’s so much that we are predictable we have a style of play like most teams do to some extent but we just really struggle against teams that defend deep. If Emery is the top top manager we believe he is he needs to work out how to break those teams down.

2 hours ago, tinker said:

The whole weekend has been littered with horrendous decisions,  there's no agenda against us the officials are just crap, full stop. 

Indeed, where PGMOLand VAR are concerned, cock-up is always a more convincing explanation than conspiracy 

If they did have a conspiracy to do down the Villa they would balls it up.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

My problem with the Ramsey call was not that they saw Ramsey holding the right arm of the keeper. (He did)  It’s that they ignored his jersey being pulled nearly off pulling him down.   I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that Ramsey grabbed an arm just trying not to be pulled to r the ground.  

IF VAR had decided that the ref missed a clear and obvious foul for a pk and the second foul (Ramsey holding the keeper) was voided along with the goal, nobody would have had a valid reason to complain 

It Strikes me they see what they want to see, and ignore what they want to ignore.....There will be good days, and bad days, with Refs and VAR

I still don't know, How Ollies man handling wasn't a penalty....I have seen less given.

I still don't understand how anyone can judge the pressure of a push.....pushing with the hands, should be a foul, irrespective of the pressure applied.....its football, not handball.

There is no valid reason for using the hands to push a player.....it unbalances the recipient, and it should be a foul.....its spoiling the potential skill in the game.

I love the " it was a bit soft" from the pundits......what they really mean is, they didn't want it given....The bias is stifling.

Every decision now is being micro managed by the media....and they are openly bias towards their previous employers actions....are their comments even worthy of opinion?

On 23/12/2023 at 16:08, PaulC said:

Maybe but I'd like to know what our results are without Kamara In the team.  Luiz gets all the plaudits but for Kamara is key to the way we play. 

I think, Kamara allows Dougie to play his natural game. Thats the key for me.

When Dougie is restricted by playing defensively, the same for McGinn, we lose their attacking guile....IMO they are not CDM's in the true sense of the word.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

So, the MOTD commentator didn't have a clue about rules or football... then 3 former players agree it should have been a goal and the handball was a penalty...

If this lady ref is better than the current shite then I couldn't care what sex she is....

If you ask me, the only league with worse officiating than the Premier League is the WSL 😬

On 23/12/2023 at 14:13, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get all this but when you struggle to break a team down you grind it out. We did that and clearly should have had 2 penalties. We were robbed.  I don’t think I’ve seen a clearer penalty than that handball all season. We were robbed.

I agree, but thats down to interpretation of whether we did or not.

IMO we played in front of them for most of the game....thats not going to hurt anyone.....we needed to be more robust and get in amongst them.

Zaniolo's run in to the box, showed the assertive effort, I am seeking.....but passive, passing is not grinding out, in my book.

Opponents needs to be unsettled, skill and guile is the prime ingredient for such a task, but sometimes a more robust approach is required, to gain that competitive edge. In a game like that, we was always going to have our superior skill negated, by spoilers,  Our decision making lacked a bit of courage for me, in not going directly at them, and creating chaos.... we helped make them organised, by the way we approached them.

There was plenty of opportunities, for players to go down the flank, towards the by line, instead, at the first sign of a yellow shirt, they pirouetted, and played the ball back inside, in front of their defence, in a passive, non effectual fashion....That for me is not grinding out a result, its playing safe and within yourself.

I also agree with the poor decisions, but we have to help ourselves, decisions, won't always go our way.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1