Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

9 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Not quite.

It wasn't good enough.

Anything but a win is unacceptable, but we didn't lose.

In the past we would have.

That is different.

What we really wanted was to go top of the table, at least for a day maybe even for Christmas. Same as.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I still can't get my head around them watching their defender drag him around by his shirt, and them reviewing it for a red card on Duran. That **** referee man.

I think it’s because he caught the other player in the face with his elbow when trying to get his shirt free, luckily common sense prevailed.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I still can't get my head around them watching their defender drag him around by his shirt, and them reviewing it for a red card on Duran. That **** referee man.

and didn't their goal come directly after the free kick from that, which somehow had been given to Sheff Utd?

given the precedence of VAR on Ramsey, why wasn't called back to watch slo-mo videos of Duran's shirt being pulled to decide if Sheff Utd goal could count?

I thought we played some neat, good looking football but real penetration was lacking.

I'm mystified as to why VAR denied us a goal and a very clear (handball) penalty.

I also realised tonight why following the match day thread damages your health.

Merry Christmas every one and up the Villa.

• Like 2

How was it not next phase of play for the disallowed goal and why isn't the ref shown the entire passage of play in situations like that? The foul had no bearing on the goal as they retook possession twice before we nicked it back. Carragher also seemed very keen that we not get any favourable decisions (now that we're in the mix with his precious reds.)

• Like 1

Referee was inconsistent, but it went both ways. The Ramsey fault was fair enough. The handball and show in the back, I struggle with. It's so clear and obvious. 

Regardless off the VAR decisions we weren't good enough. Didn't create enough chances. It's a opertunity to learn and improve playing against low block teams, there will be a lot more of these matches.

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I think Unai got it wrong with Diaby x Bailey x Cash out on the right - they seemed to get in each other's way. The only time they looked like a threat was when Leon or Moussa ran at them with pace. I think Cash made some good crosses at times, but he slows things down way too much. I don't think we utilised the opposite wing enough either.

I agree. I think only Diaby or Bailey can start. Then bring the other one on second half to take advantage of weary legs.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Hilarious that our goal came from their player faking a head injury instead of playing on. They spent the last 20 minutes falling over with the lightest of touches. Utterly deserve to go down. 

The same player who set up their goal 😆

So weird.

Think we missed Torres massively. Lenglet is solid enough but Torres' range of passing is so important against a team who are sitting back like that. 

Other than that not much to say. Ref and VAR were very poor but we need to have more guile to beat teams who are set up not to lose. Reminded me a lot of the Mostar home game in that regard.

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

McGinn got through that without getting booked. We may have [drawn] the battle, but we'll win the war at Mold Trafford.

Yep, very important.

Looking forward to that game, especially if Pau and Tielemans return.

Let’s go n smash em!!

• Like 2