New England Manager 2024

Vancvillan

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

This feels nailed on.

Can see the logic, but it does feel a bit different. Southgate had actually played for England, played at the top level. Carsley of course had an international career, but he had it with Ireland; maybe it's uncharitable to say he had that career with Ireland (through his grandmother) despite having been born in Birmingham because he knew he'd never be good enough to play for England - maybe he just really really loved Ireland and would have chosen Ireland over England - but he did not play European football and was never a really top player. Would senior internationals respect him enough?

Promoting the U21 manager is such a lower tier club team thing to do.

Sure, if Southgate and his entire team walked on the eve of the Euros then maybe? But we need someone with something resembling success at club level.

There should be several dozen names about Carsley.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can see the logic, but it does feel a bit different. Southgate had actually played for England, played at the top level. Carsley of course had an international career, but he had it with Ireland; maybe it's uncharitable to say he had that career with Ireland (through his grandmother) despite having been born in Birmingham because he knew he'd never be good enough to play for England - maybe he just really really loved Ireland and would have chosen Ireland over England - but he did not play European football and was never a really top player. Would senior internationals respect him enough?

Yeah I'd say Steve Cooper would have more chance than Carsley. Cooper was in the FA system himself and managed likes of Foden so that feels a decent fit especially given the precarious position of his current employment.

First choice will be Howe though based on his general managerial record in last decade.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Sure, if Southgate and his entire team walked on the eve of the Euros then maybe? But we need someone with something resembling success at club level.

I dunno, we won the euros, the theory should be that several of those players then progress in to the first team so why couldn't the manager progress with them? 

Club level is so different from international level, someone like Potter imo couldn't do it, he simply doesn't have the time with the players to get his methods across but you could argue that with klopp and pep too, for me a huge part of international football is really simple, pick the best players in their best positions keep them smiling and send them out to kick a ball, you dont need a tactical masterclass 

But again same as Southgate from what I've seen it feels like the quality is in the players rather than carsley, they win in spite of him not because of him 

• Like 1

Under 21 football at international level is completey different to club level, an U21 manager, even at a Premier League club will be managing a squad where half of them if not more will end up in the lower leagues, whereas the manager of an U21 national team, is managing a group of the very best youngsters that that country has to offer, many of whom will already be playing at Premier League or Championship level, and a decent amount of them will go on to become full internationals, and the opposition also have players already playing senior football, and that will go on to be full internationals, and will have top coaches working for them, so a U21 manager at international also has to be better tactically to combat that.

I don't know if Carsley should be the manager or not, but he's done a much better job by far with the U21s than Southgate did, and Boothroyd for that matter, has them playing very good football, is getting results and has won trophies, I'd kind of be more interested to see what he can do than someone like Howe, who I think would be a boring appointment, would be like giving the job to David Moyes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lampard got it, as seems the kind the FA like, profile not too unlike Southgate's

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't expect Howe to be available. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that his overlords are looking for steady hands to hold on to European football until a more glamorous option comes along. 

Complete speculation though - maybe their plan is to upgrade the squad depth significantly, which is what would need to happen for them to really compete at that intensity all season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Sometimes it works. Just look at the current World champions. 

Not saying I want Carsley, just that he shouldn't be rules out on the basis of worrying about looking 'small time'.

On 15/12/2023 at 20:35, useless said:

Under 21 football at international level is completey different to club level, an U21 manager, even at a Premier League club will be managing a squad where half of them if not more will end up in the lower leagues, whereas the manager of an U21 national team, is managing a group of the very best youngsters that that country has to offer, many of whom will already be playing at Premier League or Championship level, and a decent amount of them will go on to become full internationals, and the opposition also have players already playing senior football, and that will go on to be full internationals, and will have top coaches working for them, so a U21 manager at international also has to be better tactically to combat that.

I don't know if Carsley should be the manager or not, but he's done a much better job by far with the U21s than Southgate did, and Boothroyd for that matter, has them playing very good football, is getting results and has won trophies, I'd kind of be more interested to see what he can do than someone like Howe, who I think would be a boring appointment, would be like giving the job to David Moyes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lampard got it, as seems the kind the FA like, profile not too unlike Southgate's

I thought this was Lee Carsley’s hand-written application letter for minute. 

• Haha 1

They can't really give Lampard the senior job now, or if they did there would be a big backlash, but if Carsley leaves the U21s, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them give Lampard that job, with a view to promoting him to the seniors, people will still remember he wasn't great at club level like Southgate, but if he does okay with 21s and wins a few easy

They're probably not going to get someone like Howe or Potter, and if don't want to go with a foreign manager, the only choices become the likes of Lampard, or Dyche, or to promote someon already in the coaching set-up.

Edited by useless
In case some replies go off topic

The FA should have established a better succession plan for the post-Southgate era. 

Considering the investment in the 'FA way', they'll want an internal appointment -- someone they know they can trust and who isn't going to diverge from the rules they've imposed on themselves.  

Unfortunately,  no one has been given a platform to come up alongside Southgate. Steve Holland isn't going to step up. Lee Carsley doesn't have it. They know Gary and Phil Neville but won't touch them for this appointment. And as @useless said, appointing someone like Lampard to anything other than the U21 or U18 job would be suicide for them. 

Keeping in mind the internal appointment thing, I can only think of one other name: Sarina Wiegman.

I don't think for a minute they'll appoint Wiegman but it goes to show how the FA has boxed itself into a corner here. They'll end up making a poor appointment as a result. 

On 16/12/2023 at 20:49, foreveryoung said:

What do you think Potter is waiting for. It's not the United job that's for sure.

Potter will more than likely be on gardening leave, being paid a monthly wage by Chelsea, if he takes up employment with someone else the Chelsea money stops so there's zero emphasis for him to do anything 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Potter will more than likely be on gardening leave, being paid a monthly wage by Chelsea, if he takes up employment with someone else the Chelsea money stops so there's zero emphasis for him to do anything 

He looked terrible at the end of his Chelsea reign. He could use a full 12-24 months looking after himself.

• Like 1

Â