New England Manager 2024

Vancvillan

2 minutes ago, Hornso said:

He looked terrible at the end of his Chelsea reign. He could use a full 12-24 months looking after himself.

Yep, if someone offered me £200k a week for sitting at home for a year or £250k a week for the pressure of the man utd or England job then it's safe to say I'm staying at home 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yep, if someone offered me £200k a week for sitting at home for a year or £250k a week for the pressure of the man utd or England job then it's safe to say I'm staying at home 

You'd run out of ways to keep busy though, surely. Oh.

Quagmire-arm.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=c737d919

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Why do people always suggest managers that could get PL gigs in this type of conversation?

The England job isn't going to improve your CV, it is part time, it's not even seen as an honour anymore and whilst it's well paid for a part time gig it's not what it once was for any aspiring young manager.

It'll be a yes man , an FA man and someone with little hope of having a stellar career in management in the big 5 leagues.

Probably be that prick Aidy Boothroyd tbfh.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Why do people always suggest managers that could get PL gigs in this type of conversation?

The England job isn't going to improve your CV, it is part time, it's not even seen as an honour anymore and whilst it's well paid for a part time gig it's not what it once was for any aspiring young manager

it's also a job that you can basically only fail at. Even if you win a tournament you will 100% have "Well with that squad he should've won more". You have to be a nutter to consider the job IMO.

15 hours ago, villa89 said:

Mourinho will whore himself out for it and the media will beg to get him appointed. The FA may wish to get someone they know better though and Mourinho could create a lot of bad headlines.

There is no chance this will happen. It will cause too much backlash at various levels of the national game (I’m thinking women’s football in particular) and damage what has become a carefully curated, politically conscious image around the national team. 

They added Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink kind of out of the blue. I think he’s being groomed for the role tbh. I don’t really give a toss who it is provided (1) it isn’t Mourinho or some other hateable Representative for Wellingborough and (2) they play entertaining football. 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

There is no chance this will happen. It will cause too much backlash at various levels of the national game (I’m thinking women’s football in particular) and damage what has become a carefully curated, politically conscious image around the national team. 

They added Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink kind of out of the blue. I think he’s being groomed for the role tbh. I don’t really give a toss who it is provided (1) it isn’t Mourinho or some other hateable Representative for Wellingborough and (2) they play entertaining football. 

I think if they are grooming someone for the job it's Lee Carsley. The FA will think that appointing Sir Gareth from the U-21's worked well and may want to do the same thing again.

Lampard would be absolutely hilarious.

He would complete his cycle of failing upwards if he became England manager. 

Surely nobody would be able to boast such a magnificent CV with absolutely no success or competence to back it up as Lampard if that happened?

On 15/12/2023 at 10:13, kurtsimonw said:

I don't disagree that the football is mostly poor to watch. But I think people are already rewriting history that still exists. Youth football is mostly irrelevant in the bigger picture, and we have 1 centre back, no left back, 1 wide player and most people don't rate Pickford.

Who out of Grealish, Foden, Sterling, Saka, Rashford, Gordon and Bowen are you counting as our one wide player?

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Who out of Grealish, Foden, Sterling, Saka, Rashford, Gordon and Bowen are you counting as our one wide player?

Saka.

Sterling is out of the thinking though his England record is decent and he's having a good season, the others have either never done anything for England or can't get in their club team.

Grealish, Rashford or Gordon starting on the left for England is a scary thought.

Just now, villa4europe said:

Southgate... 

I know this is slightly tongue in cheek, but at least Southgate only failed at one managerial job. He was actually decent for the U21s so Boro is the only real job he's been shit at.

Lampard has been quite shit at one job and completely shit at 3 other jobs. To get the England job on the back of that would be hilarious

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Saka.

Sterling is out of the thinking though his England record is decent and he's having a good season, the others have either never done anything for England or can't get in their club team.

Grealish, Rashford or Gordon starting on the left for England is a scary thought.

I mean I couldn't disagree more to be honest. Grealish and Foden have both started on the left for England before with great success. They don't regularly start for their club but it's man city.

Rashford has also been excellent before, although his current form is admittedly alarming.

As much as I hate Gordon, he's been fantastic this season. Bowen is in unbelievable form.  They've both been better than Saka this season so it's a bit weird not to count them in the conversation.

Excluding the defence we have easily the best squad we've ever had. Honestly, I don't think it's even close. And that squad includes probably the best CM in the world at the moment, probably the best CF in the world at the moment and one of the best DMs in the world at the moment. 

Defensively it's not as good as the golden generation, for example, but there's still talent there. It's not as bad as you're making out.
Picking our best goalkeeper and defenders would be a big step in the right direction for a new manager for a start

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean I couldn't disagree more to be honest. Grealish and Foden have both started on the left for England before with great success. They don't regularly start for their club but it's man city.

Rashford has also been excellent before, although his current form is admittedly alarming.

As much as I hate Gordon, he's been fantastic this season. Bowen is in unbelievable form.  They've both been better than Saka this season so it's a bit weird not to count them in the conversation.

Excluding the defence we have easily the best squad we've ever had. Honestly, I don't think it's even close. And that squad includes probably the best CM in the world at the moment, probably the best CF in the world at the moment and one of the best DMs in the world at the moment. 

Defensively it's not as good as the golden generation, for example, but there's still talent there. It's not as bad as you're making out.
Picking our best goalkeeper and defenders would be a big step in the right direction for a new manager for a start

I think our best players (Bellingham, Rice, Kane, possibly Stones) are among the best, if not the best, in their position. Everywhere else they're not even close. I even include Kyle Walker as an almost cert on the team sheet, and it's clear he's a bit past it. As for Luke Shaw, he's probably my shout for most overrated player in World football. 

I think Saka is a difference maker that you need at the highest level. At the World Cup he had France on toast. Anthony Gordon can't beat a player to save his life, and I don't think we're going to be the 'chuck the ball in to the box at every opportunity' side that Newcastle are.

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think our best players (Bellingham, Rice, Kane, possibly Stones) are among the best, if not the best, in their position. Everywhere else they're not even close. I even include Kyle Walker as an almost cert on the team sheet, and it's clear he's a bit past it. As for Luke Shaw, he's probably my shout for most overrated player in World football. 

I think Saka is a difference maker that you need at the highest level. At the World Cup he had France on toast. Anthony Gordon can't beat a player to save his life, and I don't think we're going to be the 'chuck the ball in to the box at every opportunity' side that Newcastle are.

I think you're doing Gordon a huge disservice there. He's been brilliant this season.

But there's also 3 or 4 players in the running before him anyway.

Even fullback where you're saying we're weak we have Walker, Shaw, Trent, Chilwell, James, Trippier, White, Livramento, Rico Lewis etc
They don't have the same quality that we have in the spine of the team but as a squad it's a pretty good selection.

I honestly think we have the same problem with England as we did with Villa under Gerrard. We have a very good squad who are being made to look less good than they should be by a restrictive manager. A manager who knows what he's doing would be winning trophies with this squad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

England easily have one of the top 5 best squads in international football. Probably top 3 actually. 

• Like 1

Â