VT's Favourite Movies of the Year 2023

Designer1

It's that time of year to share your favourite movies of 2023. UK release date of 2023 on IMDB preferable thanks.

My top 20 below, with Killers of the Flower Moon coming out on top with When Evil Lurks a close second.

films2023_new.thumb.jpg.5dc700541bee8df34938da287287e17a.jpg

A very solid year 👍

Top Left to Bottom Right:
Dungeons and Dragons
Killers of the Flower Moon
Suitable Flesh
Spider Man Across the SpiderVerse
The Blackening
Thanksgiving
John Wick 4
Past Lives
Air
When Evil Lurks
Saltburn
Talk to Me
Are You There God? It’s me Margaret
Hell House LLC: Origins
Broker
Influencer
Knock at the Cabin
Saw X
Evil Dead Rise
The Royal Hotel

• Like 1

I guess mine would have to be Oppenheimer as it's the only movie I've been to see this year that was released this year. I've watched other movies released this year at home but as I can't remember which ones they were I guess they weren't that memorable :D 

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

It's that time of year to share your favourite movies of 2023. UK release date of 2023 on IMDB preferable thanks.

My top 20 below, with Killers of the Flower Moon coming out on top with When Evil Lurks a close second.

A very solid year 👍

Dungeons and Dragons
Suitable Flesh
The Blackening
Thanksgiving
John Wick 4
Past Lives
Air
When Evil Lurks
Saltburn
Talk to Me
Broker
Influencer
Knock at the Cabin
Saw X
Evil Dead Rise
The Royal Hotel

Of these, I've only seen Air, which was an enjoyable little movie.

I didn't go as much this year compared to other years for whatever reason so based on limited trips to the cinema 

1. Dungeons & Dragons -  I enjoyed this far far more than i should have , maybe low expectations coupled with some good humour  = winning formula 

2. John Wick 4 - yeah its stupid , but its a good stupid , love watching imaginative methods for people to get killed this franchise comes up with 

3. Guardians of the galaxy 3 - ok , the rabbit , walrus and otter were bloody annoying and they turned it into a kids movie , but Drax and Mantis saved the day 

4. Killers of the flower moon  .. Probably because I've read the book  and thus know what they cut or glossed over , it just felt a bit disappointing that  206 mins and then they kinda rushed the end 

5. Oppenheimer - I didn't' hate it , but i didn't get the love in for it either 

6. Indiana Jones and the dial of destiny  - a zillion times better than the last outing Kingdom of the whatever  .. it wasn't without its flaws and plot holes , but it was back to your typical Indy film so as a popcorn flick i quite enjoyed it 

I think that was it  .. 6 times in a year !!   , 2021 /2022  I'm sure I went pretty much once a week 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

My visits to the cinema and new films on streaming services 2023 is as follows:

Oppenheimer

so don't keep us hanging , which was your favourite film ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oppenheimer

Barbie

Rye Lane

GotG 3

Mission Impossible 7 (1)

Robot Dreams

--

Bank of Dave

The Miracle Club

More than I remembered initially from 2023 it seems. Robot Dreams was an LFF animated one. Quite charming really, if a little too long. 

Someone mentioned Barbie, without a shadow of a doubt the absolutely worst film of the year. There you've reminded me of another film I watched this year, well when I say watched, I mean turned off after about 40 minutes.

Never have I seen so much overhyped bollocks written about a film and people falling for it.

It's utterly dreadful 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

A very solid year 👍

Dungeons and Dragons
Suitable Flesh
The Blackening
Thanksgiving
John Wick 4
Past Lives
Air
When Evil Lurks
Saltburn
Talk to Me
Broker
Influencer
Knock at the Cabin
Saw X
Evil Dead Rise
The Royal Hotel

Thought Saw X was good as well, I've been really disappointed by their recent entries so this was a nice surprise.

Across the Spider-Verse probably my favourite this year, but I've just not been able to see much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Someone mentioned Barbie, without a shadow of a doubt the absolutely worst film of the year.

It's fine bicks.  You are Kenough. 👍

Besides, this can't possibly be the case in the same year that Exorcist Believer was released.

• Like 2

I can never do this. I watch loads of films on streaming (hardly ever go to the cinema), but I never take any notice of what year they come out. New releases do tend to cost extra to watch on Prime or Netflix, so I expect I probably don't see them until they become free for subscribers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

It's fine bicks.  You are Kenough. 👍

Besides, this can't possibly be the case in the same year that Exorcist Believer was released.

Thankfully I didn’t pay to see it  :D Anyway, I'll leave you budding Kermodes alone and slip back to working out my album list

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I've heard really good things about the Puss In Boots flick, worth a look?

Yeah, in fairness I thought it was alright. Although it was towards the start of the year, so memory is a bit hazy. 

I’m not a fan of the shrek films, it was definitely superior to all of those.