VT's Favourite Movies of the Year 2023

Designer1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Every film I have visited the cinema to see this year.

IMG_0608.thumb.jpeg.ac18df7db57ad0642828be645d84bed8.jpeg

IMG_0609.thumb.jpeg.3307adbccfa2500ae2734beda931eea3.jpeg

IMG_0612.thumb.jpeg.9b8d4b5614eb578aaa8829ba36bd17f9.jpeg

My daughter may have had some say in the choices.

Agggh you’ve just reminded me , I saw Puss in boots with the kids 

I’ll maybe slot it in 5th place on my list 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

New releases do tend to cost extra to watch on  Netflix

I thought Netflix it was just the quality of the picture or with adverts that affected the price , not new releases ?
tbh I get mine as part of my Sky package so not actually checked  

• 5 weeks later...

In total saw approx. 31 movies with UK release dates, as far as I can tell, and the only one I really didn't enjoy was Saint-Omer (really boring). A very good year of cinema! Top 10 in countdown-stylee were:

10) How to Blow Up a Pipeline

9) Anatomy of a Fall

8 ) The Boy & The Heron

7) All the Beauty & The Bloodshed

6) Napoleon

5) Godland

4) May December

3) Killers of the Flower Moon

2) Past Lives

1) Oppenheimer

Particularly honourable mentions to 'All Quiet on the Western Front', 'How to Have Sex' and 'Rye Lane', which were all on the edge of the top 10. 

Some alternative awards too:

• The Aaron Eckhart award for Movie Science: Meg 2: The Trench, in which the baddies are doing a deep-sea mining operation out of some shipping containers at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, and while investigating them Jason Statham swims around without any protective equipment. Brilliant. 
  • The Chris Cooper award for Effortlessly Lifting a Fairly Shit Movies with a Brilliant Performance: shared between Till (Danielle Deadwyler) and Operation Fortune (Hugh Grant), very different movies both of which had little to love apart from those actors. In the case of the latter one, it's particularly embarrassing how much better he was than literally everything else happening. 
  • The 'I've Been There!' award for Recognising Birmingham On Screen: Mission Impossible 7, in which Grand Central semi-plausibly doubles as Abu Dhabi airport. 

EDIT: Actually realise I missed 'Return to Seoul' from the main list so imagine that somewhere near the bottom of the top 10. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

On 01/12/2023 at 20:14, Mark Albrighton said:

Every film I have visited the cinema to see this year.

IMG_0608.thumb.jpeg.ac18df7db57ad0642828be645d84bed8.jpeg

IMG_0609.thumb.jpeg.3307adbccfa2500ae2734beda931eea3.jpeg

IMG_0612.thumb.jpeg.9b8d4b5614eb578aaa8829ba36bd17f9.jpeg

My daughter may have had some say in the choices.

You seem to have made a mistake here and missed off paw patrol super pups 

Unfortunately the only film I saw at the cinema this year, my daughters first ever cinema trip, and I watched it in German and understood maybe 20% of it... Speaks to the er quality of the film that I didn't understand it but still loved it... :ph34r: but seriously it's pretty good 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

You seem to have made a mistake here and missed off paw patrol super pups 

Unfortunately the only film I saw at the cinema this year, my daughters first ever cinema trip, and I watched it in German and understood maybe 20% of it... Speaks to the er quality of the film that I didn't understand it but still loved it... :ph34r: but seriously it's pretty good 

The boss has moved on from paw patrol*. That being said, I had the pleasure of watching the first paw patrol movie the other year. Essentially three episodes stuck together with the ever irritating Chase having a somewhat forced character arc that strained credibility.

*to give an idea of how far we’ve moved on, for her upcoming birthday I tentatively investigated the possibility of taking her and her friends to see Mean Girls the musical. This idea was soon dismissed when I watched the trailer and saw John Ham seemingly making a reference about choking a partner during sex. I’d like to think we’re still closer to the annoying Ryder and his equally irritating pups than we are there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The boss has moved on from paw patrol*. That being said, I had the pleasure of watching the first paw patrol movie the other year. Essentially three episodes stuck together with the ever irritating Chase having a somewhat forced character arc that strained credibility.

*to give an idea of how far we’ve moved on, for her upcoming birthday I tentatively investigated the possibility of taking her and her friends to see Mean Girls the musical. This idea was soon dismissed when I watched the trailer and saw John Ham seemingly making a reference about choking a partner during sex. I’d like to think we’re still closer to the annoying Ryder and his equally irritating pups than we are there.

I love the law patrol films almost purely for the insane jump in quality 

The 2nd one has the same story arc bollocks but with skye

Sat watching toy story 4 with the 3 year old hoping for big things next year with TS5 and frozen 3

• Like 1