Black friday 2023

Demitri_C

Think I'll pass on spending the day hunting for deals.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/98-of-black-friday-deals-arent-the-cheapest-price-of-the-year-aey1d9q3h1Bu

"98% of Black Friday 'deals' aren’t the cheapest price of the year"

"Which? research has found that only 2% of products in the 2022 Black Friday sales were cheaper than at other times of the year.

We analysed more than 66,000 prices in the six months before and after last Black Friday to see how their sale day prices compared. "

• Thanks 1

Yep, it’s close to impossible to get a deal, and retailers have been pushing black Friday promotions since the start of November.

I did get a good deal on an xBox for my son though. £189.99 which seems to be where most retailers are at now, but combined with another promotion at Sports Direct I’ll be getting 2x £20 vouchers back. 

I’m not in the market for anything else though now (unless a good discount on Diesel comes up)

22 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Think I'll pass on spending the day hunting for deals.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/article/98-of-black-friday-deals-arent-the-cheapest-price-of-the-year-aey1d9q3h1Bu

"98% of Black Friday 'deals' aren’t the cheapest price of the year"

"Which? research has found that only 2% of products in the 2022 Black Friday sales were cheaper than at other times of the year.

We analysed more than 66,000 prices in the six months before and after last Black Friday to see how their sale day prices compared. "

Just as i assumed. Its mainly misleading people in most cases. Hopefully we wont see people acting that barbarians like past years 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yep, it’s close to impossible to get a deal, and retailers have been pushing black Friday promotions since the start of November.

I did get a good deal on an xBox for my son though. £189.99 which seems to be where most retailers are at now, but combined with another promotion at Sports Direct I’ll be getting 2x £20 vouchers back. 

I’m not in the market for anything else though now (unless a good discount on Diesel comes up)

Your wish is my command

Click

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Before we get too down on Black Friday, the Record Store Day Black Friday Event has a re release of an album by The Beat for just £44.99

If only the record industry could concoct a worse event than Record Store Day... oh wait... Its just another price gouging session

• Like 1

Daughter’s birthday coming up. Had to find some activity for her and her friends, a venue somewhere.

I found one sort amusement/games venue (“flip out” - I’ve been before, so I know what awaits me). Them and a few other similar venues - places that do crazy golf and the like - are doing £30 e cards for £20. The e cards last for 1 year.

Bought six, so £180 worth costing me £120. 

That’s now booked in, ultimately works out to have saved me about £50 (I have about a tenner left over on the one card to be used at a later date). It’s still going to stress me out on the day. But it’s cheaper stress.

Not black friday as I bought them on Monday this week, but our local garden centre has an aquatics section.

As we need another fish for the tank I fancied another loach, they had quite a few the week before. On Monday they only had two left, white baby weather loaches and at £12.99 each I thought a bit too much.

Ever the optimist I asked the manager if he could do a deal as there were only two left, he said he'd do them both for the price of one. Result!

Guy at the till takes the payment, then says "oh dear I've only charged you half price for one of the fish, but it's OK no worries".

So I got both fish for £6.50, double result :)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I paid £224 for mine, but that was three years ago. 

What do you make of it Mike?

I’m just getting back into playing and like the features on it allowing multiple effects and to jam along with it without needing additional peddles/other people etc

The annual surge of desperate mugs buying shitty-and-not-actually-any-cheaper-than-usual Chinese flatscreens has brought HSBC's online banking functionality crashing down.

This has left me unable to send the £3.50 I owe for yesterday's weekly kickabout, thus I am being tarred and feathered by my peers.

So **** you, Black Friday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Not black friday as I bought them on Monday this week, but our local garden centre has an aquatics section.

As we need another fish for the tank I fancied another loach, they had quite a few the week before. On Monday they only had two left, white baby weather loaches and at £12.99 each I thought a bit too much.

Ever the optimist I asked the manager if he could do a deal as there were only two left, he said he'd do them both for the price of one. Result!

Guy at the till takes the payment, then says "oh dear I've only charged you half price for one of the fish, but it's OK no worries".

So I got both fish for £6.50, double result :)

Was the gravy on offer too?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

What do you make of it Mike?

I’m just getting back into playing and like the features on it allowing multiple effects and to jam along with it without needing additional peddles/other people etc

For me, the novelty of the jam tracks wore off quite quickly, but the amp/pedal modelling is quite impressive. It's also perfectly fine as a trad amp, using the presets without the app. 

TBH, I haven't used it for ages, as I don't gig electric, and for recording I tend to go via a BOSS ME70 multiFX pedalboard direct into my DAW. 

But all this really belongs in the musician thread. 

• Thanks 1