Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

The Gloster Meteor actually flew during the war.It entered service in 1944. It was only used against the doodlebugs as the British did not want to risk it over enemy teritory.

So, that means that aviation went from bi-planes to jets in only 7 years. Very impressive.

You are quite right, but the Meteor's war service was somewhat limited. Likewise, there were Hurricanes around in 1938, and the Gladiators saw action in 1940-41 (Norway and Malta) - and there were prototype jets around in Britain and Germany in the late 30s - but I deliberately chose a year either side to make the point that they were the established main fighters at that stage.

Then again...

The B-52 Stratofortress:

bombers_b52_0009.jpg

First flight 15 April 1952, still in service!

And staying in service until an estimated 2040, at least.

An astonishing piece of equipment.

35071d1299760685t-gloster-meteor-mk-7-pilot-manual-lmet3.jpg

One of those flew over my house yesterday and I presume it did the same today (Though I didn't see it today). An absolutely magnificent sight

Saw a thing comparing the Meteor with the Me262.

The 262 performed better than the Meteor because it had a linear arrangement of compressors in its engines.

Frank Whittle was well aware of the fact that a linear arrangement would be better, and in fact jet engines to this day use a linear arrangement.

The problem was that materials to handle the stresses required for this were not yet properly developed: The 262's engines had to be replaced after something ridiculous like 24 hours of flying time.

German WW2 tech was way ahead of it's time pretty much across the board, even if, like in the case of Me262, their reach outstretched their grasp (a number of Germany's flagship tanks during period, particularly the Tiger tanks, were incredible feats of engineering but the weight so much and tolerances so small they ended up being, particularly the Tiger 2, fairly unreliable. Meanwhile the Russians bang out T-34s that the German's took the piss out of for being ugly and apparently poorly made, driven straight out of the factory to battle, but turn out to be one of the most successful tanks ever). The Germans actually invented the assault rifle, the Sturmgewehr 44 (which looks rather like the AK47 (and 74), testament to it's influence), but again despite being an incredible and lasting example of design was a pig to manufacture and maintain.

Was listening to R4 the other day and a bird expert was on talking about waxwings: he said that their diet of berries (often fermented) meant that their livers were of a size and so developed as to be able to satisfactorily deal with the equivalent of 2 pints of 4% strength beer per hour without the waxwing getting too intoxicated.

Apologies to resident VT Oddies if that's a croc.

There is only one football club in the top four English leagues (Premier Championship and Leagues 1&2) that contains none of the letters of the word 'mackerel' in its name .

Swindon Town

In last week's pub quiz, we got the question "Which English league club plays at The County Ground". Me and the other footybloke™ umm-ed and aah-ed, until my missus (who knows nothing about football, HATES it in fact) suggested "Swindon Town".

Correct. She's been insufferable ever since.

• Like 1

I had a chap at work ask me the pub question they got stumped on;

Name the five English players who've played for Real Madrid.

I started off with the first one who played there, the one they couldn't get, just to be smug. (I only know it due to having a Tesco carrier bag wearer for a best mate).

I got the obvious five (Laurie Cunningham, Steve McMananman, David Beckham, Michael Owen & Jonathan Woodgate. I presume all of the others are from the early days of Real Madrid as a club?

Â