Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

4 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Norway and North Korea are only separated by 1 country. 

On a similar theme - Anchorage is NOT equidistant from New York, Toyko and Frankfurt.  (Sorry my source was wrong!)

Edited by allani

16 minutes ago, allani said:

On a similar theme - Anchorage is equidistant from New York, Toyko and Frankfurt.

Are you sure? Frankfurt looks about 1000 miles further than New York and Tokyo. Unless I'm misunderstanding you

36 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

In which case.........

Trivia Quiz - What 2 points of the uk mainland are furthest apart? 

Villa Park and sty andrews. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

In which case.........

Trivia Quiz - What 2 points of the uk mainland are furthest apart? 

Not that easy, are we talking straight line distance or road distance, if road distance what are the rules for which roads you can take?

But in general I think its Duncansby Head to Gwennap Head/Porthgwara Beach

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Pedant but it’s official name is Republic of North Macedonia 

Or you could have said Democratic People’s Republic of Korea as their official title.

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Newcastle is further west than Southampton.

(Thanks Reddit)

Not heard of that one, but my favourite is Edinburgh is further west than Bristol! (and Liverpool and pretty level with Cardiff!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jayEm said:

Are you sure? Frankfurt looks about 1000 miles further than New York and Tokyo. Unless I'm misunderstanding you

You are right.  My source for that is bollocks.

Anchorage is equidistant from:

Miami - 6436 kms

Beijing - 6403 kms 

Oslo - 6432 kms

1 minute ago, allani said:

You are right.  My source for that is bollocks.

Anchorage is equidistant from:

Miami - 6436 kms

Beijing - 6403 kms 

Oslo - 6432 kms

Geographically though Alaska is the most western and the most eastern state in the USA - in that some of the islands off Alaska are further west of the mainland than the most easterly point of Russia (which explains the big kink in the International Date Line).  There are two islands one in Alaska and the other in Russia which are 3 kms apart but which fall on either side of the IDL and so the time difference between them is huge.

Stanley Kubrick - arguably one of the greatest movie directors of all time - never won a single 'best director' academy award. He did win one solitary Oscar - for special effects on '2001'. SFX which he had little or no part in creating. 

12 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Is it not the Former Yugoslav Republic of North Macedonia anymore? 

Changed their name in 2019, after Greece allowed them to use the name Macedonia as long as it said Upper 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bickster said:

If we're doing this map stuff, Lands End has no claim to fame. It is neither the most southerly part of mainland Great Britain (Lizard Point) nor the most westerly (Corrachadh Mòr)

It’s the most south westerly point in England and GB and furthest from the most north easterly point at John O’ Groats. It’s definitely got its claims to fame as you can see when you go there, though my experience was a bit “is this it?”.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Not that easy, are we talking straight line distance or road distance, if road distance what are the rules for which roads you can take?

But in general I think its Duncansby Head to Gwennap Head/Porthgwara Beach

I think it’s straight line distance. 

I think John O’Groats and Land’s End are used as specific, fixed points and for ease. 

Beaches and headlands are normally tidal so the edge of land can never be defined.  
There must be an infinite number of points when measuring between 2 crumbling cliff faces.  

It’s interesting that we also refer to a “straight line” distance when it’s actually a slightly curved line.  

19 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s definitely got its claims to fame as you can see when you go there, though my experience was a bit “is this it?”.

Exactly this.   I can’t believe they charge people for the “experience”.  

Â