Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

At least one of us will have too much to drink and have an encounter with what we 'believe' to be a Cornish Chough.

We've all been there, eh, eh, right?

I have, yeah. It was when I was younger though. I can now admit that I used to go to a pub called "The Chough", (in Cornwall), and listen to the Cure on the Juke box and play darts and stick ball. It was mostly cold in there, and the beer was average, but somehow it was sanctuary.

You couldn't do that now though.

You can't say "are you taking me up the Chough" these days without some politically-correct do gooder pointing out that...."it's not called the Chough any more, it's called The Mermaid".

• Like 3

I don't know why I know this but when I ask other people they don't seem to know it but the name of the dog sitting in front of the gramophone on the HMV logo is called Nipper 

There are 500,000 people buried at Witton Cemetery in Brum. Well, according to my Dad who was there yesterday speaking to someone who worked there!

We also have a family burial grave there, which none of us knew about but came to light when going through my grandparents papers after they died (naturally, they aren't buried there due to just finding this out)

• 2 weeks later...

This may need to be verified but sounds plausible:

When Villa play Forest next season it will be the first time 2 previous European Champions have played each other in a league game outside their domestic top flight 

Callum Styles, 16, Bury striker, is the first player to play in the football league who was born in this millenium 

Yeah, that's everyone now feeling a bit older!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The longest bridge in the UK is in Birmingham.  It's the Bromford Viaduct, which of course is the elevated section of the M6 between Castle Brom and Gravelly Hill.

3.5 miles end to end if you were wondering. 

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

The longest bridge in the UK is in Birmingham.  It's the Bromford Viaduct, which of course is the elevated section of the M6 between Castle Brom and Gravelly Hill.

Stretching the definition of 'bridge' a bit... 

Top of the pops 1982 was just on. Peter Powell says "here's a new band called The Mobiles" and straight away I say "Drowning in Berlin" just before he does. I can't fathom why I could recall immediately to mind the name of a one hit wonder when the hit was not really that big and was before I was really old enough to be properly into music.  There is a lot of other stuff I would much rather remember. 

I had a giggle though after the dreary dirge had finished and Peter declared they were going to be big in 1982..... Err, no sorry Peter. He also cracked some of the unfunniest jokes I have ever heard,  how did they get their jobs in those days,  did no one ever actually listen to them? 

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

how did they get their jobs in those days,  did no one ever actually listen to them? 

Or pay attention to what they got up to in general.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22 June 2016 at 20:16, The_Rev said:

The longest Viaduct in the UK is in Birmingham.  It's the Bromford Viaduct, which of course is the elevated section of the M6 between Castle Brom and Gravelly Hill.

Fixed ;)

Meh, there are lots of different types of bridges and a viaduct happens to be one of them.  It's a bridge with a lot of supports beneath it but it's still a man made object with express purpose of carrying a load above something.  I'm sticking to my guns here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jupiter does not orbit the Sun.

Clickety linkings

In short

It's so huge, in fact, that it doesn't actually orbit the sun. Not exactly. With 2.5 times the mass of all the other planets in the solar system combined, it's big enough that the centre of gravity between Jupiter and the sun doesn't actually reside inside the sun — rather, at a point in space just above the sun's surface.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2016 at 20:25, The_Rev said:

If it's up in the air and it carries stuff on top then it's a bridge in my eye!   

Nays spots a bridge.

Piggyback-Space-Shuttle-Atlantis-and-Boe

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BOF said:

Nays spots a bridge.

Piggyback-Space-Shuttle-Atlantis-and-Boe

So are those 2 making little baby aeroplanes ?

Did not know that was how they made Cessnas and Pipers

Edited by sne

Â