Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

The 'getting a year older on the first day of the new year' thing is common throughout a lot of Asia, I think. They definitely do it here in Vietnam. I often get the interesting sight of asking a student how old they are and waiting for them while they visibly pause, remember I'm a westerner, and subtract one or two. Everyone here gets a year older at Tet though, not January 1st. Birthdays are rarely celebrated outside of big cities, and many people don't celebrate them in the city either.  A surprisingly large number of people basically don't know how old they are as well. There was a scandal a few months ago about a promising player in the Vietnam U21s turning out to be older than 21, but he probably doesn't actually know precisely how old he is. 

If you went back to the year 2000, and every time A.P. McCoy entered a race you bet £1 on him to win, you would be £1,743.63 down.

Is that actually a fact? How did anyone calculate that?

Attheraces.com worked it out.

Fair enough! Is there anyone who actually bets that way?

I doubt it, but it's quite a surprising statistic when you consider he's widely considered to be one of the best jockeys ever (I think. I can't say I'm much of a horse racing fan)

• 3 weeks later...

Poorly worded by the Beeb, I think. Should say he is the first manager to last in the job 3 years without a trophy.

Hodgson obviously lasted less than a third of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Samuel Beckett is the only Nobel Laureate to have played first-class cricket (apparently).

Is Albert Camus the only Nobel Laureate to have played in a World Cup finals tournament?

The word marathon gets it's origin from some Greek soldier running apparently 42.2km from the plains of marathon to Athens to tell the relevant authorities that a battle had been won between the Greeks and the Persians.

Edited by Folski

The word marathon gets it's origin from some Greek soldier running apparently 42.2km from the plains of marathon to Athens to tell the relevant authorities that a battle had been won between the Greeks and the Persians.

To add a tiny be to that , apparently immediately after giving the word of victory he dropped dead on the spot. 

This season Villa have so far had 7 'new' goalscorers (i.e. players who hadn't scored for the club before this season). Cole, Hutton, Gil, Okore, Sinclair, Cleverley & Sanchez. It is 22 seasons since that figure was beaten (10) when Regis, Atkinson, Staunton, Penrice, Richardson, Blake, Paul Mortimer, Parker, Teale & Froggatt opened their accounts, although the figure of 7 has been equalled a few times in between.

• Like 3

This season Villa have so far had 7 'new' goalscorers (i.e. players who hadn't scored for the club before this season). Cole, Hutton, Gil, Okore, Sinclair, Cleverley & Sanchez. It is 22 seasons since that figure was beaten (10) when Regis, Atkinson, Staunton, Penrice, Richardson, Blake, Paul Mortimer, Parker, Teale & Froggatt opened their accounts, although the figure of 7 has been equalled a few times in between.

When Grealish scores the winner in the cup final we'll break it then :D

(Welcome back by the way)

• Like 3

Â