The Lower Grounds Matchday experience

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Don_Simon

On 05/01/2024 at 16:21, chappy said:

Can’t get over the fact there isn’t enough space on the benches for people to sit down - I used to go into the Holte Suite around 2pm and if there wasn’t space at a table then fair enough, I hadn’t got there in time. But at the prices they’re charging you should be able to sit down to eat the overpriced food!

Ironically your ticket has an assigned bench and seat number but the benches and seats have no numbers assigned to them! :D

• Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

On 05/01/2024 at 11:52, villa4europe said:

to be fair i paid more for "full" corporate and absolutely loved it

still think as a birthday present or any kind of present its a good idea, been going to the villa for 20 years with your dad as ST holders? its his 70th birthday and you don't know what to get him? this is the answer

I did the corporate for my brothers 40th birthday, he now wants to do it again for mine, we will look at going here rather than a lounge in the trinity

For comparison how much is a full corporate ticket?

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

For comparison how much is a full corporate ticket?

£250 I think, can't remember for 2 reasons, firstly it wasn't the lounge I wanted, I wanted a cheaper one but would say that the experience of trying to book a lounge is very weird, secondly they send you through all the prices but they leave VAT off so you get a nice 20% bump when you book

Edit - wanted the Heineken, got the mcgregors 

The game also got moved to a Friday night kick off which didn't kill it but came close, my plan was to be there for the early kick off watch villa stay for the late kick off, make a day of it, instead I paid the money to be there for 3 hours 

Edited by villa4europe

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2024 at 17:07, OutByEaster? said:

It's open now for the Newcastle game.

So I noticed this post and thought, why not give it a go.

And today I was 'successful'... I do now wonder what percentage of people in there are doing it for 'free' through this ballot. Seems a bit lucky to get it on the first go!

Apparently, for this game, it should be £70 bolt on - my wife and I means effectively £140, why do I somehow think it'll fail to provide that kind of value?!

But for free, let's go see if I'm being unreasonably in my views of this!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

So I noticed this post and thought, why not give it a go.

And today I was 'successful'... I do now wonder what percentage of people in there are doing it for 'free' through this ballot. Seems a bit lucky to get it on the first go!

Apparently, for this game, it should be £70 bolt on - my wife and I means effectively £140, why do I somehow think it'll fail to provide that kind of value?!

But for free, let's go see if I'm being unreasonably in my views of this!

Ha! Well done. Fill your pockets with pic n' mix on the way out would be my advice! :)

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Just thought I'd do a very simple review of the Lower Grounds as I was there because of what I read on here.

Doors opened up at 5.15 and me and the wife turned up about 5.30. Greeted by representatives who check your name off a list, give you one of those classic plastic clip wristbands like you used to get in theme parks in the 90s and then tell you where everything is including bar, cloakroom and toilet. You're then given a programme per person and go in.

On entering, place had maybe 100 people in max at that point so there was plenty of places to sit on the long table and benches that were spread through the room with a central platform for the special guests to talk later.

Around the room were some small food stations, manned normally by one server. There was:

Chips and gravy and a choice of three burgers

Chicken drumsticks and chips

Nachos stand

2 x Hot Dog stands

Pick and mix stand with mini doughnuts

Ice cream stand with mini tubs of ice cream of a waffle cone whuch is filled with gelato like ice cream and a choice of toppings.

That was it. Food was very quick to serve but largely pre-prepared and could be luke warm. Occasionally they'd run out of chips and some kid would run across with a fresh tray. Queues at the busiest were maybe five or six people long. Very much what you can get on the normal concourses minus the speciality foods, pies, sausage rolls etc.

The bar was long and even at it's busiest you were generally served within a few minutes. Drinks seemed to be soft, white or red wine, a selection of lagers and ciders. No payment means it's quite quick turnaround.

The atmposhere is fairly standard. TVs are playing sports but the sound system plays pop music at about the right level so you can have a conversation. Decoratively, there's a few shirts around but it's a pretty bland room. A host introduces a couple of ex players and interviews them for about 20mins and then they float around for photos to return to the stage about an hour later for a repeat.

Going to the toilet at VP is a unique experience in here, felt weird without 20 guys vying for one spot!! Lovely, clean, largely empty toilets were great!!

Then we left about 15mins before they would have closed. That was it. We could have returned for an hour after the game (just drinks) but it was late and the result didn't make me feel like sticking around!

My wife and I discussed the value... For free, amazing! So stuffed, warm, chilled environment, clean toilets. Would we pay £70 for a bolt on? Hell no. Not even half that. If you're drinking alcohol it might be worth it but unlikely still. Feels more like it should be a simple lottery perk for ST holders if they want to persevere with it. Heck was floating about too but decided I didn't want to interview him on badge and get removed...!

All in all, A+ when free, terrible when it's £70.

Free naff fast food.

Unlimited pick and mix to take home to the kids. 

A few pints (or more if you're able).

Even if you downed 8 pints, you're hard pushed to get your £70 worth.

They have got the price point on this wrong especially if they're having to give some away free, and then those people that get it for free realise it's not worth what is being charged. 

53 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Free naff fast food.

Unlimited pick and mix to take home to the kids. 

A few pints (or more if you're able).

Even if you downed 8 pints, you're hard pushed to get your £70 worth.

They have got the price point on this wrong especially if they're having to give some away free, and then those people that get it for free realise it's not worth what is being charged. 

Badabada bing, for the lads like, mad fight, his face a sad sight, vodka and snakebite.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Just thought I'd do a very simple review of the Lower Grounds as I was there because of what I read on here.

Doors opened up at 5.15 and me and the wife turned up about 5.30. Greeted by representatives who check your name off a list, give you one of those classic plastic clip wristbands like you used to get in theme parks in the 90s and then tell you where everything is including bar, cloakroom and toilet. You're then given a programme per person and go in.

On entering, place had maybe 100 people in max at that point so there was plenty of places to sit on the long table and benches that were spread through the room with a central platform for the special guests to talk later.

Around the room were some small food stations, manned normally by one server. There was:

Nachos stand

2 x Hot Dog stands

Ice cream stand with mini tubs of ice cream of a waffle cone whuch is filled with gelato like ice cream and a choice of toppings.

That was it. Food was very quick to serve but largely pre-prepared and could be luke warm. Occasionally they'd run out of chips and some kid would run across with a fresh tray. Queues at the busiest were maybe five or six people long. Very much what you can get on the normal concourses minus the speciality foods, pies, sausage rolls etc.

The bar was long and even at it's busiest you were generally served within a few minutes. Drinks seemed to be soft, white or red wine, a selection of lagers and ciders. No payment means it's quite quick turnaround.

The atmposhere is fairly standard. TVs are playing sports but the sound system plays pop music at about the right level so you can have a conversation. Decoratively, there's a few shirts around but it's a pretty bland room. A host introduces a couple of ex players and interviews them for about 20mins and then they float around for photos to return to the stage about an hour later for a repeat.

Going to the toilet at VP is a unique experience in here, felt weird without 20 guys vying for one spot!! Lovely, clean, largely empty toilets were great!!

Then we left about 15mins before they would have closed. That was it. We could have returned for an hour after the game (just drinks) but it was late and the result didn't make me feel like sticking around!

My wife and I discussed the value... For free, amazing! So stuffed, warm, chilled environment, clean toilets. Would we pay £70 for a bolt on? Hell no. Not even half that. If you're drinking alcohol it might be worth it but unlikely still. Feels more like it should be a simple lottery perk for ST holders if they want to persevere with it. Heck was floating about too but decided I didn't want to interview him on badge and get removed...!

I'm sure they'd make more money by charging £5 at the entrance and charging for the drinks and food.  They wouldn't be short on punters. 

Edited by sidcow

To me it's sounds a lot like other bits of corporate where if there was an early kick off and a late kick off that you could also watch it there meaning you could make more of a day of it then it becomes more and more worthwhile but if sky moves your game it's a killer 

Also for £70 with beer included I would almost feel the need to get my moneys worth, not sure if that was the case with people in there or what it was like but I'd be getting drunk there, I'd be hitting that bar hard 

16 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Nachos stand

2 x Hot Dog stands

The other question is how sold out was it? Was it rammed or half empty? 

Â