The Lower Grounds Matchday experience

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think you can safely say it's making more money else the club would have done something different. 

I'm not sure it's completely safe to say that - but I suspect it probably is making more on the top line. Once you take out the programme, the food, the drink and so on I suspect it probably isn't particularly profitable at the moment, but top line matters. It's certainly not making the money it should be making and there are rumours that as many as half of the people in there aren't paying on some of the quieter matchdays, but there are reasons behind that.

Ultimately, the development happened very quickly, it was an opportunity that Heck saw and put in place without much time to nail the detail. The development of the Terrace View caused some damage to the ceilings and made the room unusable for a while, that meant that the club needed to spend money to fix the room up and took the opportunity to completely refurb and try to put something in place that would raise more revenue - all of that happened in just a couple of months at a time when there was also a focus on getting Terrace View done and get ready for the upcoming season both on and off the pitch with a brand new management team. It perhaps impacted some of the work they've now done in making the Upper Holte concourses a little better, which didn't help it's reception.

This summer, the club will have a chance to review what they've done and find the right way to sell what is a really good space, a really nice opportunity for supporters looking for a special occasion and a facility that should ultimately be popular with fans and profitable - if they get that right then perhaps the booing will stop and we'll have something that sits more comfortably in the minds of Villa fans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure it's completely safe to say that - but I suspect it probably is making more on the top line. Once you take out the programme, the food, the drink and so on I suspect it probably isn't particularly profitable at the moment, but top line matters. It's certainly not making the money it should be making and there are rumours that as many as half of the people in there aren't paying on some of the quieter matchdays, but there are reasons behind that.

Ultimately, the development happened very quickly, it was an opportunity that Heck saw and put in place without much time to nail the detail. The development of the Terrace View caused some damage to the ceilings and made the room unusable for a while, that meant that the club needed to spend money to fix the room up and took the opportunity to completely refurb and try to put something in place that would raise more revenue - all of that happened in just a couple of months at a time when there was also a focus on getting Terrace View done and get ready for the upcoming season both on and off the pitch with a brand new management team. It perhaps impacted some of the work they've now done in making the Upper Holte concourses a little better, which didn't help it's reception.

This summer, the club will have a chance to review what they've done and find the right way to sell what is a really good space, a really nice opportunity for supporters looking for a special occasion and a facility that should ultimately be popular with fans and profitable - if they get that right then perhaps the booing will stop and we'll have something that sits more comfortably in the minds of Villa fans.

I'm not sure about that, the Cost of food, programs and drink is very small I suspect.  I'd be very surprised if the club is spending more than £6-7 per person on that.

We don't really know the cost of all the refurb that went into it, even with a third of the previous capacity though I think the club are comfortable 

• 1 month later...

I am planning to bring my father to the Chelsea game, and use the Lower Ground experience. We are coming from Norway and as such have limited history (my last game at Villa Park was in January 2020 against Watford). I tried to buy two tickets from the web page, but was not allowed. Is there a lot of hassle to get tickets to family and friends? Or am I just a muppet who does not understand the things to do?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

I am planning to bring my father to the Chelsea game, and use the Lower Ground experience. We are coming from Norway and as such have limited history (my last game at Villa Park was in January 2020 against Watford). I tried to buy two tickets from the web page, but was not allowed. Is there a lot of hassle to get tickets to family and friends? Or am I just a muppet who does not understand the things to do?

I don’t know about the Terrace View specifically, but everyone getting a ticket in the ground does need a client reference, so you may need to add one for your dad.

• Like 1

A mate of mine was asking about getting tickets for a game before the end of the season for a couple of his mates. 

I mentioned a few options to him and then I thought about Lower Grounds and didn't really know how to describe it. Ended up calling it a 'medium priced hospitality experience' - I'm not if that's true as I've never been, but when I read the term back I thought 'oh that sounds good'. But also, **** the Lower Grounds. 

Â