Super Mario Bros

StewieGriffin

I thought I'd branch out from the main Nintendo thread, as I wanted to begin a wider discussion on the series as a whole as I couldn't find an existing thread.

Anyway, here is Nintendo Directs preview of Wonder, which is out next month and it's a return to good old side scrolling "classic" Mario after a couple of 3D departures, although I'm not 100% sold on the elephant power-up...

Mario in general doesn't seem to get much discussion on here that I've seen, although I tend not to pop over here very often. I'll always have the softest of soft spots for this franchise, as Super Mario Bros was the first game I had (in a dual pack with Duck Hunt) on the original NES and is therefore THE game that started it all off for me. Not many game franchises have lasted that length of time, and there's a beauty in it's simplicity of " run and jump on bad guy" to make it accessible for casual gamers whilst still being hard enough to provide a challenge for older/more experienced gamers - how the hell was anyone meant to figure out the order to go through World 8-4 in SMB in the pre-net era?! It made very young Stewie cry, and made not-so-young Stewie cry for a different reason when I finally completed it years later.

I'll gloss over the sequel because I want to and this is my thread dammit, let's just say it was rushed - but SM3 is one of the greatest games ever made, as is Sunshine and Galaxy, with Odyssey in the discussion too. I will make a special mention for Super Mario World on the SNES, which is probably my favourite game of all time, and started off the idea of extra things to do, with the Dragon coins unlocking extra areas and giving help/shortcuts - this has now evolved into some infuriatingly difficult purple coins in the Odyssey and Galaxy games - collecting every star/coin etc in the newer games takes skill and effort, regardless of your gaming ability.

The series has also given us Mario Kart, which I don't intend to go too much into here but I think we all appreciate the glory of blue-shelling a loved one and having them not talk to you afterwards. As well as the unfathomable pleasure of having your friends child come to play Mario Kart and assuming that because he's 10 and cool he'll be able to whip a 38 year old man on Mario Kart, only to find that experience far outweighs being cool and naiive. In your face, kid.

Anyway, yes, I am excited for the release of Wonder. Please discuss all games freely, but Wonder is the new one so lets run with that...

Mario, lets-a-go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

SMB was also my first game. My mom bought the "Power Pack" (the cart with SMB, Duck Hunt and World Class Track Meet + all the peripherals. That mat was like wizardry to me, was sad when it stopped working after a while) at a flea market when I was 3/4 for like 20 bucks, this was well after the NES' heyday and I think even the SNES was in its twilight years by that point. It was my only game for years. There was a brief period where I swapped it with SMB2 with a neighbour for a while, but for a good chunk of my life gaming was synonymous with Mario.

And then when I was 6/7 I got SMB3 (and another NES, why not they were practically being given away at that point) and it simply blew my mind. I knew SMB1 in and out like the back of my hand, all the little secrets and maneuvers, but SMB3 was on another level. The power-ups were amazing. The secrets were way more complex and rewarding. Finding out about the whistle for the first time was crazy. And then there was another one! It's funny because my peers were playing N64 and PS1 at this point and caught up in the whole 3D revolution and I was over here being wowed by a 2D platformer. It's still in my top 5 games til this day and I've played just about every Mario game by this point.

Super Mario Wonder looks great. It's breaking up the monotony of the "New" Super Mario Bros games (even though I love the first 2 games in that series). I think I might buy it as soon as it comes out. Not like these games ever get discounted anyway.

• Like 1

SMW was the first game I owned, as it came with the SNES we got at home. I spent hour on that, first just to get through the entire world, next the star road after which all koopas looked like Marios (or something like that). That was such an epic game.

I had played SMB and SMB3 at my friends’house before this. So we later also got the SM All Stars on SNES. 1 and 3 in the SMB were still awesome, but the freedom of SMW, where you choose to go back through the entire world was better. SMB 2 was a bit different, not as good, but still cool as it was a change from the ‘regular’ Mario games.

i don’t want to know how many hours of my childhood were spent on these, but I sure my dad could still moan about it.

Edited by AXD
  • Like 1

One of those franchises I never 'got'. Think the only one I enjoyed was the 3d one on N64. Other than that, they just leave me cold (thought Odyssey was one of the most overrated games of all time).

• Like 1

I love SMB, probably my favourite game ever. I used to be really good at it, now with old age and a large dose of MS I'm pretty terrible at it. It's probably the game and franchise I have played the most. I am also geeky enough to have written my own (crap) versions of it on almost every computer I have owned. the latest attempts were during lockdown to learn phaser, then Unity and then later on Godot. 🤓

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Super mario world is one of my favourite games ever. Ive completed it so many times as i love it.

Ita only game i know where eveey key, switch secret exit etc off by heart

That followdd by mario 64 epic games

I was amazed that when they put the games onto the NES/SNES online via Switch how instantly I remembered the secrets. I didn't even have to think about 90% of them, and it would have been, what, 25 years since SMW? 30 since SMB? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

I was amazed that when they put the games onto the NES/SNES online via Switch how instantly I remembered the secrets. I didn't even have to think about 90% of them, and it would have been, what, 25 years since SMW? 30 since SMB? 

Thats how you know a game so is so good you know the game inside out. Ive got a flight to cyprus next week whoch is about 4 and half hours. I might try do the whole game for the duration of the flight!

• 3 months later...

I went to in-patient rehab in May for alcohol abuse and we were given a couple free hours in the afternoons. I brought my Switch Lite with me, and Super Mario Odyssey gave me a lot of smiles in an otherwise pretty bleak time. 

Hoping to get Wonder for Christmas from Mrs. MNVillan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I went to in-patient rehab in May for alcohol abuse and we were given a couple free hours in the afternoons. I brought my Switch Lite with me, and Super Mario Odyssey gave me a lot of smiles in an otherwise pretty bleak time. 

Wonders good.

If you like the 2d stuff definitely get super mario brothers before wonder.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Take care of yourself @MNVillan! Glad you got some enjoyment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got this (Wonder) for christmas and put a few hours in. It's a lot of fun, albeit pretty easy (so far)

Mario games are almost always excellent, but I feel like the 2D ones these days are almost like side projects for the "proper" games. Super Mario Odyssey was absolutely superb and these 2D games feel like fillers until they release the next 3D mario

Either way this is a lot of fun. Although it does feel like they were on drugs when they came up with it.

"Why don't we make him an elephant lol"

• Like 1

I got Wonder for Xmas too. Really enjoying it but am cruising through it pretty easily thus far and I’m a pretty average gamer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I got Wonder for Xmas too. Really enjoying it but am cruising through it pretty easily thus far and I’m a pretty average gamer.

Yep same. I've done a couple of 4 and 5 star levels and I think the hardest one took me 5 or 6 attempts. Be interested to see if they ramp up the difficulty as I go through it.

I haven't attempted any of the "Special World" courses yet which looks like it might sort the men from the boys

• Like 2

On 02/01/2024 at 10:14, Stevo985 said:

I haven't attempted any of the "Special World" courses yet which looks like it might sort the men from the boys

Yeah this is the place where it gets hard. The first level in Special World, "Climb to the Beat", has drained about 25 lives from me. It's tough.

Very very fun, and it's doable, I've got to the very end a couple of times but just mistimed it. 

As someone who isn't au fait with things Nintendo, what is the 'Nintendo Direct' referred to on the video?

Is it like a streaming version of the switch (similar to Playstation)?

Â