Super Mario Bros

StewieGriffin

49 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

As someone who isn't au fait with things Nintendo, what is the 'Nintendo Direct' referred to on the video?

Is it like a streaming version of the switch (similar to Playstation)?

It's just the name of Nintendo's own reveal videos and the like.

They do 2 or 3 'big' Nintendo Direct videos a year, where there's 25 - 45 mins of reveals and updates of new games they and other developers are releasing for the Switch, and then for their biggest titles they usually do a Direct video that focuses purely on that game and it's features.

Nintendo were the first of the big games companies to start doing these presentations regularly, now everyone else does their own versions. Before they did this all of their release and reveal stuff was either done via press releases or the annual trade shows (mainly E3, TGS and, back in the day, Spaceworld). Nintendo then started doing their own little 'Direct' videos whenever they wanted, but also usually aligned with the trade shows as well, and it took off.

You can actually tell that the Switch is about to be replaced based on these videos - the Nintendo Directs have gradually got worse as it's evident Nintendo themselves and their biggest developer partners are working on other things they can't reveal yet. So the titles revealed in the big Directs have slowly become much more B tier, niche, small scale or less development intense, as developers move their main focus to a new device and theres less being worked on for the Switch.

• Thanks 1

I loved the old Mario games right from the NES upto the N64 version, but one thing that's always bothered me, and may be for the "things you often wonder" thread, is why are they called the Mario Bros? Is that their last name? So it's Mario Mario and Luigi Mario? I've googled and there's no canon reason I can find.

8 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I loved the old Mario games right from the NES upto the N64 version, but one thing that's always bothered me, and may be for the "things you often wonder" thread, is why are they called the Mario Bros? Is that their last name? So it's Mario Mario and Luigi Mario? I've googled and there's no canon reason I can find.

I believe 'canonically' that yes, the name is Mario Mario and Luigi Mario.

Although that is definitely a retroactively named thing, as the only reason Mario is called Mario is because that was the name of Nintendo of Americas landlord or something and they were struggling for a name for the character that at the time was called Jumpman.

See also how they named Donkey Kong - they wanted to call him Monkey Kong but the discussion was done over a bad phone line and the name stuck*. 

*may be apocryphal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished Wonder last night.

It's a very fun game and I enjoyed it, but it's incredibly easy.

The "Special World" has some genuinely hard levels. One that I've done was particularly hard. But Special World is outside of the main game. You don't need to do it.

Almost everything in the main game is a piece of piss. Even the final boss I did first time without breaking a sweat.

The odd level gives a bit of a headache, but it's very straightforward overall.

It's a good game, but can't help thinking this one is basically for kids

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The "Special World" has some genuinely hard levels. One that I've done was particularly hard. But Special World is outside of the main game. You don't need to do it.

Almost everything in the main game is a piece of piss. Even the final boss I did first time without breaking a sweat.

I finished the game about a week ago an felt I was barely trying for most of it. Definitely a fun game, but could do with a "hard" difficulty mode. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I finished the game about a week ago an felt I was barely trying for most of it. Definitely a fun game, but could do with a "hard" difficulty mode. 

Yep agreed. 

Those "bosses" on some of the floating ships, where it's like a conveyor belt with a bowser machine head at the end are laughable. As in I actually laughed the first time I did one.

It's so easy

• Like 1

On 18/01/2024 at 06:24, Stevo985 said:

I was afraid of this. Quite a shame

Â