January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Another thought, these high quality young players, will probably replace " dead wood " which are costing us millions in wages, and free up space/funds for higher quality first teamers simultaneously.

We've got players who've barely made an appearance for us over the past couple of years, probably on wages which are bigger than what 3 or 4 of tjese okauers will be on combined.

They'll either evolve or.contribute, or eventually be moved.oj for profit etc

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Another thought, these high quality young players, will probably replace " dead wood " whichh are costing us millions in wages, and free up space/funds for her gjer quality first teamers simultaneously.

We've got players who've barely made an appearance for us over the past couple of years, probably on wages which are bigger than what 3 or 4 of tjese okauers will be on combined.

They'll either evolve or.contribute, or eventually be moved.oj for profit etc

Yep, young, talented n hungry players over over-the-hill has-beens or mediocre players any day…

The longevity factor is major too… if we can develop future stars that become part of our journey and ingrained in the culture or fabric of the club… lovely bubbly 

• Like 1

Ah… shit. Remember us being linked to this guy…

Benfica snap up so much talent, esp from South America, then sell for humungous profit after…

They got Marcos Leonardo too…

Edited by Jas10

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's late... And I'm getting old... Leave me alone FFS 😂

Bloody auto whatever dafuq that was !

You’re no worse than me mate 😆 but I usually edit straight after posting 😂

• Like 1

no idea if this is an unpopular opinion but when we sign these 'development players' I don't really count them as signings. 

If you aren't playing for us this season or at least are expected to start after the summer then IDGAF, most of them never work out.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sne said:

Trying to steal Red Star striker Jovan Mijatovic under the nose of Man C according to the gossips. 18 y.o and their top scorer this season with 8.

Monchi trying to do a double whammy with him and Kosta?

Seems like it was a mix up when an Italian journalist confused our deal for the right back with the striker. He’s deleted the post now. 

• Like 2

For anyone underwhelmed by these 3 young ‘development’ players we have been linked with. Not saying they will all definitely work out, but this is the exact same lauded model Brighton use. Sign unknown young players through good scouting that fit the right profile, and have maximum potential.

I imagine when Brighton started being linked with players of the same Ilk their fans questioned it, but now after years of success with it actively welcome it.

Much safer model in the current climate than buying over priced players, on high wages, that may adapt to the league or fail and be impossible to move on until they run out their contract or are sold at a massive loss.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JuanCrablo24 said:

For anyone underwhelmed by these 3 young ‘development’ players we have been linked with. Not saying they will all definitely work out, but this is the exact same lauded model Brighton use. Sign unknown young players through good scouting that fit the right profile, and have maximum potential.

I imagine when Brighton started being linked with players of the same Ilk their fans questioned it, but now after years of success with it actively welcome it.

Much safer model in the current climate than buying over priced players, on high wages, that may adapt to the league or fail and be impossible to move on until they run out their contract or are sold at a massive loss.

They are to be applauded, I want to secure champions league football for the first time.

• Like 1

It’s good to get back to the strategy of signing younger players with an eye on development. They don’t always work out but we are not in a position to sign established players and many older buys quickly become a millstone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

They are to be applauded, I want to secure champions league football for the first time.

FFP is obviously an issue, we are ahead of schedule in terms of what we have achieved so far this season. CL football next season would be immense, but not if it comes at the cost of having to balance the books moving forward and Everton like sanctions.

I am sure if the right top class player is available at the right price we could move on it, but unlikely to happen in Jan. Pretty much every team in the league is in this position this window.

A lot of sitting back and seeing what happens with these latest round of sanctions. Smart risks and patience is what is needed. As long term we are setup much stronger than most.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Jas10 said:

How long does he have left on his deal?

Known for being loyal and a “homeboy” (does that make sense? 😂) so may struggle to settle elsewhere or get homesick… especially abroad…

Surprised he’s left footed… but a LW…

we do love our left footed players 😂

Sociedad have some great players that would be very welcome here… 

but must have a host of clubs interested in most of them…

He a very well rounded player. Has the technical qualities of a central midfielder, with very good passing and crossing, high work rate and no shortage of skill. Not the fastest, but no slow by any means. 

Best way to describe him is a traditional crossing focused winger, that has to qualities to play in central midfield as a press resistant passing playmaker. Perfect to have in front of the marauding Moreno.

With Pau and Moreno, and Doug (who's is fluent in spainsh) the left hand side link up would work nicely. And with the Spanish manager and coaches we have at the club, he'd settle better at Villa than any other club outside Spain.

But he is highly unlikely. Coveted by many top clubs, high transfer fee required, high wage also. We'd need to qualify for the champions league to have any chance.

Anyone know the actual details about signing youth players and FFP?

I tried briefly to look it up, but the details were a bit nebulous. Seemed like if you sign an u-21 player and they go into your academy rather than straight into the first team, they don't impact FFP, but there were some caveats to that as well. Basically though, whatever we spent on the young Serb mighn't count against FFP, which might explain a big outlay if we are tight for FFP. Anyone actually know though? If not, someone get Chris Purslow on the case!

Other thing I read was that wages were a bigger issue for FFP than transfer fees for us right now, as the wage bill has ballooned relative to a fairly moderate net spend. Dendonker, Chambers, Olsen, Traore, are all on big money without contributing equivocally. We couldn't have signed Pau, Tielemans or Diaby without offering them a massive pay increase. Lenglet and Zaniolo were not planned, but are on big money, replacing injured players already on big money.

Emery wants 2 elevens, and doesn't want deadwood, but we currently have deadwood on big money and can't afford to replace them all with big money signing due to FFP, so a couple of signings like the ones suggested might be necessary. 

The Middlesbrough guy seems a wierd target, but Finn Azaz was also a weird signing that went entirely against the grain of everything the club was doing at the time. He was older than most of the guys they were cutting from the academy, and they immediately sent him out on loan, so they didn't seem to want to train him up. I don't know if they ever thought he'd be good enough for the PL, but someone (probably from his West Brom days) obviously thought he was worth more than what he was at the time. So with the West Brom connection, I can only assume it's a similar deal with this guy. 

On 04/01/2024 at 20:18, K-Carlsen said:

I am praying that if we are going for another winger, we go for Antonio Nusa from Brugge. 18 year old Norwegian. In no doubt, the next big one from our country! He has been the standout player for the national team in the last matches, is playing regular for Brugge and is really developing into something special. He made his debut in the Norwegian top division at only 16 years old and started scoring from his third game. He played and scored in the Champions League at 17 years old. The kid is something else!

Seems like Tottenham is getting him for a fee around €30M. A steal and such a shame it is not us. You will see him tear up in PL next year. Better than Oscar Bobb and two years younger. This kid is Odegaard-esque, just as a winger.

Edited by K-Carlsen
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Jas10 said:

You’re no worse than me mate 😆 but I usually edit straight after posting 😂

Do you get that moment of tension after you post when you've noticed the mistake and you are editing, but hope no-one sees the post for about 30 seconds?

I do and I hate that.

• Haha 2