January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

19 hours ago, nick76 said:

I would be totally gutted if we sold Luiz for £100m and brought Phillips for £50m as an example.  Even selling Luiz for £120m and buying Phillips for £40m would still be gutting.  

I would be gutted if we sold Luiz for £120m and brought in Phillips on a free, particularly given the wages he would want. 

To be honest, I'm already gutted that at a point when we are so near to doing something really big, our manager has had to contemplate selling one of our prize assets during the next window, to weaken us just at a time when we are putting pressure, on the type of club that player would be likely to sign for. :angry:  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

I would speculate that, before a ball was kicked this season, Unai saw Chambers as adequate cover at right-back and as a holding midfielder.  If memory serves, I think he even alluded to it in an interview in pre-season.  I think he's changed his mind after the way Chambers played at Legia (and he clearly hasn't changed his mind in training since), hence why Chambers hasn't been used and is now free to leave.  At 28, Chambers still has plenty of football left in him and would probably be a great addition for a low-to-mid-table club.  I can see him at a Luton as replacement for Lockyer for example.

The problem we will face in replacing Chambers is finding a player or players who are of the right age, experience, and ability level, who are willing to bide their time to get an opportunity, but are also good enough to slot in when needed. 

Chambers is not good enough to slot in when needed he's shite.

Rather have someone from the academy on the bench.

Hopefully we can make enough by qualifying for the CL to be able to keep the best of our players. It makes it so clear how vital qualification for the CL is, in comparison to winning one of the cups (although winning one would increase our status too). It also explains why the club are seeking some unpopular means of increasing our cash flow.

HDE would be loving this talk of income, at a time when we should be able to focus on what we need to do, in order to increase our chances of winning things. What should matter to us, is what is on the field playing in our shirts, but our balance sheet largely determines what happens to us as a football club now.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Hopefully we can make enough by qualifying for the CL to be able to keep the best of our players. It makes it so clear how vital qualification for the CL is, in comparison to winning one of the cups (although winning one would increase our status too). It also explains why the club are seeking some unpopular means of increasing our cash flow.

HDE would be loving this talk of income, at a time when we should be able to focus on what we need to do, in order to increase our chances of winning things. What should matter to us, is what is on the field playing in our shirts, but our balance sheet largely determines what happens to us as a football club now.  :rolleyes:

Decent write up on exactly what the revenue proposition looks like from the CL. This is only after the group stage too, reasonable to assume a team like Villa could comfortably make €50 million from the group stages alone.

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/champions-league-revenue-202324-after

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Chambers is not good enough to slot in when needed he's shite.

Rather have someone from the academy on the bench.

Yes, hence why he's free to leave.  And my point was that his REPLACEMENT has to be good enough to slot in..... otherwise, what's the point.... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

West Ham sold Rice after 3 successive European seasons. They’ve been top 7 twice then won the conference (while not being that good in the league). They’ve built a relatively good squad when knowing he’s leaving, but still they’ve maximized their benefit out of him. 
It’s when to sell while sustain the progress of the team.

They replaced him with Ward-Prowse and used part of the money to sign Kudas.

You could argue West Ham have improved since letting Rice go. 

7 hours ago, FLVillan said:

I would speculate that, before a ball was kicked this season, Unai saw Chambers as adequate cover at right-back and as a holding midfielder.  If memory serves, I think he even alluded to it in an interview in pre-season.  I think he's changed his mind after the way Chambers played at Legia (and he clearly hasn't changed his mind in training since), hence why Chambers hasn't been used and is now free to leave.  At 28, Chambers still has plenty of football left in him and would probably be a great addition for a low-to-mid-table club.  I can see him at a Luton as replacement for Lockyer for example.

The problem we will face in replacing Chambers is finding a player or players who are of the right age, experience, and ability level, who are willing to bide their time to get an opportunity, but are also good enough to slot in when needed. 

Or buy better than what’s in the first team?

It doesn’t necessarily need like for like replacement especially where Villa are at the moment!

Edited by striker

2 minutes ago, striker said:

They replaced him with Ward-Prowse and used part of the money to sign Kudas.

You could argue West Ham have improved since letting Rice go. 

didnt they sign Alvarez, Ward-Prowse and Kudus with the Rice money?

3 very good signings, if they had a top striker, they would be a very dangerous team, they are dangerous now as it is tbh.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, striker said:

Or buy better than what’s in the first team?

It doesn’t necessarily need like for like replacement especially where Villa are at the moment!

That would always be the best way, but I don't think January would be the time for that as most teams want their best players to see out the season.  Unless we can find another Moreno! 

7 hours ago, John said:

To be honest, I'm already gutted that at a point when we are so near to doing something really big, our manager has had to contemplate selling one of our prize assets during the next window

Did he say this or based on VT posts?

7 hours ago, John said:

I would be gutted if we sold Luiz for £120m and brought in Phillips on a free, particularly given the wages he would want. 

To be honest, I'm already gutted that at a point when we are so near to doing something really big, our manager has had to contemplate selling one of our prize assets during the next window, to weaken us just at a time when we are putting pressure, on the type of club that player would be likely to sign for. :angry:  

We do not flow without Luiz, we are a fraction of our potential when he's not playing. Selling him would be lunacy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Yeah, wording like that is similar to "I'm not racist, but..." Never going to be a good debate after that, so I just won't engage.

I'm not saying your mom's fat but....

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Her ass cheeks have different postcodes

She bleeds gravy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Did he say this or based on VT posts?

I just read something along the lines of: we’d have to consider or look at offers if they come in for players… 

Same goes for most clubs I would think…

So, he didn’t say we have to sell any of our best players or are struggling financially…afaik (I’ll watch the vid/presser in full at some point)… but possibly review offers that come in… he may have even been referring to less important players 🤷‍♂️

Just that he knows we have to follow the rules and adhere to FFP. Many will make more of that than they should really… most clubs seems to be in the same boat…

-

The aim must be CL, if we can manage that it’s going to give boost us significantly and make it even more likely that our better players will stick around.

I’m not concerned… I can only repeat that we are in the safest possible hands with Unai as our manager… so lucky.

-

Oh, here we are:

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

Problem is, different reporters and journalists use different words and wording that could have been and could be interpreted differently…

Jacob and John differ a bit here, for example… plus Tanswell posted that Athetic article on FFP (with Evans involved) with a similar headline (selling a key player) but… Unai never said it… arguably the opposite in fact…

“Not losing our potential” suggests we want to stay strong and retain our core…

We may just try to continue selling players on the fringe of the first 11 or squad, including youngsters…

The more success (on and off the pitch) we have, the less of a concern these things are….

• Thanks 1

"We are trying to keep to financial fair play while holding on to the best players in our squad," Emery admitted. "But of course we are not closed off to selling someone if a very good offer comes in.

"And it gives us the possibility to improve our FFP position. But we are going to work with respect to the rules. However we must be sure we do not lose our potential as a team - even if we have to sell some players.

"It is dangerous sometimes when you sell some players just to have money in your pocket. Because then, maybe, you are not being patient and maybe it will be difficult to replace them while remaining successful.

"You need to be clinical with that money. This is the reason I prefer to believe first in the players we have. Of course, we are going to accept and respect the FFP rules - we get it. We are going to be intelligent and smart and demanding. We are not going to lose our potential to keep improving."

Emery added: "They (the owners) are responsible. We meet with them and we have to accept the rules. And of course, they are very excited and they are very happy with how we are working together and how they invested here in Aston Villa four, five years ago.

"They want to invest more and more but accept the rules and accept financial fair play. We are trying to be intelligent in our transfer windows. We are trying to improve our squad with some players and if we can't do it now, we can think of the next transfer window in the summer."