January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Even less concerned about FFP or any limitations after seeing Unai’s comments…

We don’t need to go out and spend, we have good players (we’re 2nd in the league despite some major injuries and absences).

A couple of weaker players (not/barely involved) may leave and be replaced…

If an opportunity to bring in top quality arises that appeals to us (Unai) and improves us, we will jump on it…

Happy with that approach.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

That sounds very positive in bringing quality in. It would be absolutely criminal not to when Villa are doing so well. 

I'd expect RB, DM and possibly loaning a more experienced striker with Duran out on loan to the Championship.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Wonder will we look to offload one of the crown jewels to get us back on track? Absolutely galling that Man City are almost breaking even on that table.

One of the things that they are the kings of is selling a first team player for a decent wedge of money every summer which helps with FFP.

Summer of '23 - Palmer 47m, Mahrez 35m, Laporte 27.5m 

Summer of '22 - Sterling 56m, G. Jesus 52m, Zinchenko 35m, Porro was only 8m per transfermarkt but had a sell on clause

Summer of '21 - Torres - 55m, Angelino - 20m, 

Summer of '20 - Sane - 50m 

Not saying we need to sell anyone, but being able to have the flexibility to do something like this would be extremely helpful with FFP. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

No such things as “free” either really, sign on fees, agent fees and big wages/demands for players out of contract… another older player on big wages is going to eventually be another problem/burden that we will struggle to shift again… 

Don’t have much more to add or say on the matter, so I’ll leave it there. Time to move on 😆

Sorry to respond when you've said you're leaving it but more generally speaking in, this is what I meant by box clever.

If he's coming in at 31 on a 3/4 year deal it's a bad move, if we spend £22mil on Zaniolo and bring Anderson in too, keep Bailey and Diaby and don't play with wingers it would be bizarre. 

If we know we can get good money for someone in the squad who's perhaps floating that they wanna go, and the recruitment team feel like they can get someone on the continent signed up to a pre-contract agreement, even if we're paying higher wages/ agent fees etc, for profit and sustainability rules we'd be in profit because we'd bagged a transfer fee for one player and paid no fee for the other. 

For example, if Traore is saying he wants to play regularly and we get offered £5mil from Turkey that's £5mil profit, if we then bring in X from Germany who's on £10k more, a similar age on a 3 year deal we'll be £5mil to the good by the stupid rules which can go towards a top target instead of being eaten up by supplementing the squad with a £15mil player on less wages on a 3 year deal that would balance out to £0.

Sorry if I'm labouring the point, I just feel that with all the workings with fees at the moment, I think we could bring in more players who are genuinely top tier in the summer if this season carries on in the same vein. Spending on any position means we have less wiggle room if someone amazing becomes a realistic target. 

If Leao becomes available in August for example, and we've got any chance at all of getting him in a room with Unai and Monchi, I don't want us to have spent £45mil across a backup striker and a couple midfield bench options that's meant a deal isn't possible or we have to sell a good squad option to make it happen. Especially if there were interesting free transfers to be had on sensible contract lengths. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Sorry to respond when you've said you're leaving it but more generally speaking in, this is what I meant by box clever.

If he's coming in at 31 on a 3/4 year deal it's a bad move, if we spend £22mil on Zaniolo and bring Anderson in too, keep Bailey and Diaby and don't play with wingers it would be bizarre. 

If we know we can get good money for someone in the squad who's perhaps floating that they wanna go, and the recruitment team feel like they can get someone on the continent signed up to a pre-contract agreement, even if we're paying higher wages/ agent fees etc, for profit and sustainability rules we'd be in profit because we'd bagged a transfer fee for one player and paid no fee for the other. 

For example, if Traore is saying he wants to play regularly and we get offered £5mil from Turkey that's £5mil profit, if we then bring in X from Germany who's on £10k more, a similar age on a 3 year deal we'll be £5mil to the good by the stupid rules which can go towards a top target instead of being eaten up by supplementing the squad with a £15mil player on less wages on a 3 year deal that would balance out to £0.

Sorry if I'm labouring the point, I just feel that with all the workings with fees at the moment, I think we could bring in more players who are genuinely top tier in the summer if this season carries on in the same vein. Spending on any position means we have less wiggle room if someone amazing becomes a realistic target. 

If Leao becomes available in August for example, and we've got any chance at all of getting him in a room with Unai and Monchi, I don't want us to have spent £45mil across a backup striker and a couple midfield bench options that's meant a deal isn't possible or we have to sell a good squad option to make it happen. Especially if there were interesting free transfers to be had on sensible contract lengths. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

You mean Rafael Leao? He's under contract until 2028:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/ac-milan-star-rafael-leao-extends-contract-until-2028-now-has-short-term-release-clause-of-eur175-million/

Just now, skarroki said:

I'll come back in February :(

Just joking mate… you make fair and interesting points.

I’m not “against it”, especially if the interest is genuine and he is who Unai wants - I’m not convinced about that either… it’s the transfer window, we’re gonna see n read a lot of crap from various “sources”… it’s always the case…

There’s no point in me repeating all the stuff I’ve already written… but I’m open to being educated and convinced as you have attempted to do here 👍

Regardless, UTV! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I like Smith Rowe but if a player isn't likely to be fit for 30 games a season then they're not really worth buying.

best stat is availability

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

One of the things that they are the kings of is selling a first team player for a decent wedge of money every summer which helps with FFP.

Summer of '23 - Palmer 47m, Mahrez 35m, Laporte 27.5m 

Summer of '22 - Sterling 56m, G. Jesus 52m, Zinchenko 35m, Porro was only 8m per transfermarkt but had a sell on clause

Summer of '21 - Torres - 55m, Angelino - 20m, 

Summer of '20 - Sane - 50m 

Not saying we need to sell anyone, but being able to have the flexibility to do something like this would be extremely helpful with FFP. 

correct a lot of fans haven't cottoned on that if you are selling circa 80m profit each year on FFP books you can spend massively each year.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I like Smith Rowe but if a player isn't likely to be fit for 30 games a season then they're not really worth buying.

ESR was Smith/Lange target. There's no reason to think Emery and co have any interest in him

From emerys brief words i am guessing we may be waving goodbye this winter to the following

traore - cancel / pay off contract neutral ffp £0 sale value

donker sell with neutral ffp £ 8 to 10 million sale value

sansom sell negative ffp £5 million sale value

chambers sell positive ffp £ 5 to 7 million sale value

Digne sell neutral ffp £12 to 16 million sale value

As long as the transfer fees are neutral ffp that's at a wild guess £325,000 per week in wages saved.

If we are looking to bring 1 or 2 in.

Out of those only digne is a regular starter 

20 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

From emerys brief words i am guessing we may be waving goodbye this winter to the following

traore - cancel / pay off contract neutral ffp £0 sale value

donker sell with neutral ffp £ 8 to 10 million sale value

sansom sell negative ffp £5 million sale value

chambers sell positive ffp £ 5 to 7 million sale value

Digne sell neutral ffp £12 to 16 million sale value

As long as the transfer fees are neutral ffp that's at a wild guess £325,000 per week in wages saved.

If we are looking to bring 1 or 2 in.

Out of those only digne is a regular starter 

Mate, ring the club and offer your services if you think you could get that for those players

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but would anyone take ESR from Arsenal. 

He's a tidy player, I like him but presumably Arsenal would want to bump up the fee and considering his recent appearance record it would be a gamble whilst giving money to one of our direct rivals

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Mate, ring the club and offer your services if you think you could get that for those players

Not seeing which of the ones listed is not reasonable? 

Oil football rumoured for digne in the summer and again now, after half a season of playing great. Already played for barca psg and villa so that ticks oil football boxes.

Donker 1st team squad player / decent cb dcm option for a lower Premier league team

Chambers simular to donker 

Sansom is playing great in France for the team in 2nd place

I could see forest Brentford  Luton Burnley Sheffield utd all possibly interested in donk or chambers for that sort of money.

Just a question…

considering where we are in the league, our progress, standing and ambitions…

being “in the mix” with the other perceived “top clubs”… should we really be interested in their reserves or cast offs?

If they aren’t good enough to be getting a game for those clubs, should they be getting major game time for us and worth the financial outlay in terms of fee and wages? Especially at this time and with how we are doing…

If we’re looking to either overtake or compete with teams like Spurs, Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool, even Chelsea (as shit as they are doing, but they won’t accept long term mediocrity) and even… even Man City (probably or arguably the main/only club where a reserve or bench player could actually improve and impact us)…

(should we even include Man Utd, West Ham, Brighton in this “list”? Na… I think we now have greater aspirations than at least the latter two)…

then…

should we going for players that (a) the asking price will be massive for anyway, (b) the wages will be massive, (c) are not good enough to play for those sides???

I suppose it depends and is case by case and there are different levels but…

if a player like ESR is deemed not good enough for Arsenal… would he be good enough for us and worth the expense? When he probably wouldn’t even displace our better players or those he would be in direct competition with…?

Why sign Philips when City paid a massive fee for him and put him on massive wages? He’s not as good as any our starting midfielders… 

I think there’s a debate to be had about how many of our players are better or at least as good as some of theirs too… we’ve made staggering progress in a short time… thanks to Unai.

Many of the players these sides bought, especially the better ones, have players who were brought from abroad and became stars or considered so… it’s at least an approach that is usually more cost effective… if you get your scoring right, do your research and identify the right players…

Which “reserve” or “out of favour” PL players are actually worth going for, and would even want to come, when taking all factors into account? We can’t afford or attract their starters…

Something to ponder…

I prefer the approach of bringing in players like Pau and Diaby that can actually be as good if not better than some of their players… and I think that’s the mentality/strategy that Monchi and Unai will mostly employ…

I just can’t see any value in the PL… and value is something I’m sure we are pursuing and will have to pursue…

I’m not saying buying a PL player will not improve us or any side but… for example… just look at the sort of fees Chelsea have paid… has it been worth it? Brighton have laughed all the way to the bank…

And can we afford that kind of spending? I think not…

Also… if we take a reserve player off these sides… the demands will be excessive and we’re essentially helping them out by boosting their coffers, getting ripped off, paying huge wages and allowing those clubs to go out and buy better players or those that they really want with the it to become stronger… it also weakens us in a competitive aspect imo and keeps us “inferior”…

Edited by Jas10

3 hours ago, striker said:

Duran out on loan to the Championship

I absolutely love that AC Milan and Inter are both trying to sign him but we think a loan to the Championship is how it might end up…! We will see I guess!

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Just a question…

considering where we are in the league, our progress, standing and ambitions…

being “in the mix” with the other perceived “top clubs”… should we really be interested in their reserves or cast offs?

If they aren’t good enough to be getting a game for those clubs, should they be getting major game time for us and worth the financial outlay in terms of fee and wages? Especially at this time and with how we are doing…

If we’re looking to either overtake or compete with teams like Spurs, Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool, even Chelsea (as shit as they are doing, but they won’t accept long term mediocrity) and even… even Man City (probably or arguably the main/only club where a reserve or bench player could actually improve and impact us)…

(should we even include Man Utd and West Ham in this “list”? Na)…

then…

should we going for players that (a) the asking price will be massive for anyway, (b) the wages will be massive, (c) are not good enough to play for those sides???

I suppose it depends and is case by case and there are different levels but…

if a player like ESR is deemed not good enough for Arsenal… would he be good enough for us and worth the expense? When he probably wouldn’t even displace our better players or those he would be in direct competition with…?

Why sign Philips when City paid a massive fee for him and put him on massive wages? He’s not as good as any our starting midfielders… 

I think there’s a debate to be had about how many of our players are better or at least as good as some of theirs too… we’ve made staggering progress in a short time… thanks to Unai.

Many of the players these sides bought, especially the better ones, have players who were brought from abroad and became stars or considered so… it’s at least an approach that is usually more cost effective…

Which “reserve” or “out of favour” PL players are actually worth going for, and would even want to come, when taking all factors into account? We can’t afford or attract their starters…

Something to ponder…

I prefer the approach of bringing in players like Pau and Diaby that can actually be as good if not better than some of their players… and I think that’s the mentality/strategy that Monchi and Unai will mostly employ…

I just can’t see any value in the PL… and value is something I’m sure we are pursuing and will have to pursue…

I’m not saying buying a PL player will not improve us or any side but… for example… just look at the sort of fees Chelsea have paid… has it been worth it? Brighton have laughed all the way to the bank…

And can we afford that kind of spending? I think not…

Also… if we take a reserve player off these sides… the demands will be excessive and we’re essentially helping them out by boosting their coffers, getting ripped off, paying huge wages and allowing those clubs to go out and buy better players or those that they really want with the it to become stronger… it also weakens us in a competitive aspect imo and keeps us “inferior”…

I think there is a lot of value where a player is in a squad that doesn't play to his strengths.  Out Matty cash is a good player but doesn't necessarily suit our new way of playing.