January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

24 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

It doesn’t change the calculation at all. 

We can’t risk not making champions league as will then have to sell one of our main players anyway (as at least one of them will have their heads turned by an existing champions league team). May as well spend the 50/60m now if the right players are willing to join at a reasonable January premium and the salaries do not blow the existing structure out of the water. 

FFP exists.

Of course it would have and will be a calculation. 

Given what has happened in the last two matches, we should be sat top of the league right now with 5 additional points. 

It’s a no to Gallagher for me, England tax and all that jazz plus he’s not that great. Could see him at Palace/West Ham or similar.  I also don’t want us giving Chelsea any help at all.

Across Jan/Summer windows I’d opt for the below as I think they’d give us some flexibility to change things up tactically and also offer decent (quality) cover too. They’re  all really technical players too so I think they’d fit nicely into the Emery system .

• Amine Gouiri - LM/LW/IF (Watkins cover)
  • Joey Veerman - CM (Luiz cover/comp)
  • Arthur Vermeeren - DM (Kamara cover/comp). 13m RC
  • Lutsharel Geertruida - RB (can also cover at DM and CB)

Get shot of Traore, Dendonker, Hause, Chambers, Coutinho and loan out Duran and Iroegbunam.

If we were in for Frimpong or any other more attacking RB options (Arnau Martinez perhaps) in the summer I’d look at moving Cash on as he’d be a decent saleable asset.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

FFP exists.

Of course it would have and will be a calculation. 

Given what has happened in the last two matches, we should be sat top of the league right now with 5 additional points. 

Whether we are top or not won’t change the FFP calculation for January. The only thing that will impact what we do is whether the players we have identified are available, want to join us (being top could influence that) and for what price. E.g If the number one target for RB is available for 40m and that’s what the club are happy to pay from a price point perspective they will make it happen - pronto. 

Re FFP they will just sell a first team player in the summer to make sure we make FFP if we don’t qualify for champions league. Every single article re the owners (and all of their actions to date) has stated their ambition. They’re obviously not going to sit on their hands if there is an opportunity to materially improve the squad and increase chances of top 4 and silverware even if that requires a gamble v player sales in the summer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nicho said:

From a squad perspective we need a backup goalkeeper, right back, a centre back, a defensive midfielder, a midfielder, a winger and a striker we obviously arnt doing all of that in Jan and need outgoings first whether now or in the summer. Hopefully Buendia can get back to his best to be that attacking midfielder we’re missing. 

I’d love Gallagher who seems to be up for sale.He has the type of energy that mcginn has. 

Id be more than happy with Jonathan Rowe, Adam Wharton, Jacob Greaves from the championship. Expect people to sneer at these types of signings. 

Monchi can work his magic for the rest. 

I agree that there is talent in the EFL that we might well wish we had taken a punt on in a year or two and a couple of them are our own players;). Players like Adam Scott, Jack Clarke and Jobe Bellingham, could be added to those that you have mentioned. How and if we spend the £50m+ that we may have available during this window, will be for UE and his team to decide. They may also have just as promising a list of players from outside of England, that could do the job for us. They will know, the question is whether such players could make a difference to a top six club, which is what we are looking for.

The problem with the likes of Gallagher and Palhinha, is that they would probably cost the same as 2 or 3 players, that we might otherwise be able to buy off those lists. I don't think that we can guarantee being in such a strong position as we currently are, at the beginning of the next couple of windows, so I'm hoping that we strengthen now with a right back, a loan for a central defender (if Lenglet goes), a defensive midfielder and another striker (enabling Duran to go out on loan). I'm also hoping that we do our business quickly. 

Edited by John

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Watkins needs a huge kick up the arse. Only 14 goals and 6 assists so far

Last couple of games he’s been poor and couldn’t trap shite. Secondly, if injured Villa need better than Duran as a backup.

4 hours ago, burchy said:

It’s a no to Gallagher for me, England tax and all that jazz plus he’s not that great. Could see him at Palace/West Ham or similar.  I also don’t want us giving Chelsea any help at all.

Across Jan/Summer windows I’d opt for the below as I think they’d give us some flexibility to change things up tactically and also offer decent (quality) cover too. They’re  all really technical players too so I think they’d fit nicely into the Emery system .

• Amine Gouiri - LM/LW/IF (Watkins cover)
  • Joey Veerman - CM (Luiz cover/comp)
  • Arthur Vermeeren - DM (Kamara cover/comp). 13m RC
  • Lutsharel Geertruida - RB (can also cover at DM and CB)

Get shot of Traore, Dendonker, Hause, Chambers, Coutinho and loan out Duran and Iroegbunam.

If we were in for Frimpong or any other more attacking RB options (Arnau Martinez perhaps) in the summer I’d look at moving Cash on as he’d be a decent saleable asset.

Lets hope the club shop doesn't run out of 'E's again!

• Haha 1

Ngonge compares a bit to Bailey for me in the little bits I've seen of him. Good dribbler but I fear a bit lightweight for the Premier League.

His father Michel played for Watford from 1998-2000 under Graham Taylor.

Just now, Ceemo said:

Ngonge compares a bit to Bailey for me in the little bits I've seen of him. Good dribbler but I fear a bit lightweight for the Premier League.

His father Michel played for Watford from 1998-2000 under Graham Taylor.

Looks like almost a clone the way he plays. Doubt there is any truth in it. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Arnau martinez their RB

Half of Europe is after him according to the rags 

Release clause of €20m apparently so easily available on that perspective, but perhaps not so easy if every one else is looking at him too