January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

14 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He's not coming in Jan. Leverkusen are top of the bundesliga and his buyout clause doesn't activate until the summer. He also probably wouldn't come in the summer given how desirable he is but we'd have a shot then. 

Thanks for the update, obviously my,“extensive research”, wasn’t extensive enough! If the Champions of the PL come knocking I’m sure he’d listen! UTV! Bring on the Champions !!!!!

32 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Can't beat a good excel, my only concern would be selling Digne without another really good LB coming in, showed how light we are in the FB positions once Moreno got injured. Also, just like to say Digne has bene exceptional and one of our most consistent performers 

The assumption would be we sign a new LB/LM type player. Also we will go with Pau Mings Konsa Cash and Moreno Paul Carlos Konsa type options for 3 CBs and a FB switching sides.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Apparently, Manure are going to cancel the Amrabat loan. Could we take that on? Surely a better DM alternative than Dendoncker?

Not sure what would be involved (inc cost and wages) but just something that caught my eye and a random suggestion. Has been highly rated for a while but I don’t know the terms on which Fiorentina allowed supposedly such an important player to leave…

I really do think proper cover or competition for Bouba (our only quality out and out DM) would be really helpful.

In the meantime, I suppose we will return to the Luiz and McGinn double pivot (should be good, both are so much better now too) while he is suspended but… we could do with options and the ability to rest players and play them in their best/preferred positions.

John is one booking away from a suspension too… really hope he doesn’t miss that Boxing Day game - we need him.

Oh Bouba… why did you have to get yourself sent off? 🤦‍♂️

I just feel, with Dendoncker’s limitations and Tielemans performing better in an attacking role, that we are light in central midfield and that could cause issues… we want to keep our better players relatively fresh and in form too rather than risking burning anyone out. McGinn’s energy is crucial…

Maybe one or two intelligent loans alongside a permanent signing would be a good approach…

Regardless, I’m not concerned as I’m confident we will only sign players that Unai himself wants and sees fitting into and helping the team/squad. We will do what is right…

Glad our owners are nothing like people like Boehly and have given Unai control and freedom rather than interference…

We won’t be reckless or waste money but… the right signings could give us a real boost and keep the “Villa Engine” running smoothly 😂

We could do with someone better and more adept than Cash…

I don’t know about up front… I have to be honest and say that I like Duran and there are players such as Zaniolo (will improve further) and Diaby (will rediscover form and be a real asset) that could cover Ollie… decent CFs are so difficult to find these days.

A top class LW could really enhance us though… give Ramsey time to rediscover full fitness & form.

Competition is healthy too… look at what has happened to Bailey and Digne & Moreno…

It’s so good to have the ability to do business from a position of strength, a good time and opportunity to help us continue to move in the right direction…

We are surely a much more attractive proposition now too so players who may not have considered us or had second thoughts previously may reconsider now…

He has been dreadful for United and is a reason he is going back. A tournament wonder who thinks he is Xavi when he plays but would rather keep Donk and Tim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Aston Villa and its type, was always Unai's ideal fit.....The so called top clubs with their instant gratification and demands for immediate success, was never his bag.

Unai is a builder and he likes players who buy in to his processes.....I think we will see that again in this window.

I am not suggesting, rough diamonds that might take a season to develop, I am talking like Tielemans, players who just need a bit of fine tuning, and guidance to play in a system that extrapolates, their true potential.

I think thats the kind of player, he will target.

Going slightly off topic here - but I am still surprised at how many external "commentators" think that Emery is likely to end up at Utd or maybe Liverpool if / when they change managers.  Unless they have a massive culture change there's pretty much no chance that Emery leaves a performing Villa to go there.  He's done the "top clubs" and been treated like ***** twice. 

In terms of transfer targets - I don't think I have ever felt so confident that everyone in the club is so completely on the same page in terms of how we want to play, what type of players we are targetting and what type of people we want in the team.  It is really encouraging - especially when you see other clubs with players arriving without the knowledge / approval of the manager or where players are fully scouted and then the manager pulls the plug at the last minute.   Very refreshing indeed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

For me Geertruida is really who we want at RB. Can cover CB and CM pretty well. 

Really good goal threat, decent playmaker too and a really good passer especially in terms of progressing the ball up the field. Can either stay as the 3rd man in the back 3 in a 3-2-5 attacking shape or invert as the 3rd man in midfield in a more aggressive attack. 

Screenshot_2023-12-21-14-12-34-38_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12_8EwUztx55G.jpeg

Been banging the Geetruida drum for a while too. Captains Feyenoord so another leader if we got him. Don’t think he’d be cheap though. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The assumption would be we sign a new LB/LM type player. Also we will go with Pau Mings Konsa Cash and Moreno Paul Carlos Konsa type options for 3 CBs and a FB switching sides.

Seen a few dodgy links to Andrea Cambiaso at Juve. Can play either side of the back line or in midfield, only 23 and an Italian international. 

45 minutes ago, burchy said:

Been banging the Geetruida drum for a while too. Captains Feyenoord so another leader if we got him. Don’t think he’d be cheap though. 

Blimey I’d just got a ticket for the Frimpong Express! Should I change it now?

Unai has spoken:

"They [the club owners] are very ambitious and they are very excited," Emery said. "They are enjoying what we are doing. We have to be intelligent and smart.

"We have very good players in the squad and we have to manage some change and try to improve some positions. We are going to be very demanding because it is not easy to change something and improve.

"We have the possibility to do something. The owners are open to signing some players if we are convinced. We are also trying to work out how we can manage some players leaving the squad.

"We are going to analyse each situation with the players we have in the squad and with the players we can maybe get."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/unai-emery-answers-aston-villa-28331333

• Thanks 1

So, who’s leaving?

Chambers

Dendoncker

Lenglet loan cancellation? (Off to Bayern or AC) Replacement loan?

Hause?

Traore?

Iroegbunam? (Saw a report that we’re considering another sale & buyback option)

-

Could see a few signings depending on outgoings… replace with better.

Just don’t envisage us replacing Olsen when we didn’t do it in the summer.

59 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Seems fanciful seeing as he starts for them. 

It does, but that said it also depends how much they need to raise revenue. I seem to remember Juve were approaching Barca levels of financial mismanagement, but may have that wrong - I don’t follow Italian football. Spurs were linked to him, too.

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

On the subject of RB and after extensive research, I googled him, I’m on the Frimpong express train to glory as he can also add to our midfield too. If we can do the right deals to make it doable?

Leverkusen are 4pts clear top of the league. No way they're selling player in January after just giving him new 5 year contract extension

Wouldn't surprise me if we already have a few things lined up.

We haven't been in a position this good for quite a long time, so we need to take advantage of it.

Better players will have certainly taken notice of our progress and plans.

Can't wait for Chris Heck to announce our new soccer players!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

It does, but that said it also depends how much they need to raise revenue. I seem to remember Juve were approaching Barca levels of financial mismanagement, but may have that wrong - I don’t follow Italian football. Spurs were linked to him, too.

A cursory glance would suggest that they are in need of money. 

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Leverkusen are 4pts clear top of the league. No way they're selling player in January after just giving him new 5 year contract extension

I'm pretty sure the contract extension was basically to secure him to the club for this season as well. 

Italian defender Alessandro Buongiorno has been linked with a move to the Premier League in recent weeks.

According to Roma Metropolitan magazine, clubs like Aston Villa and West Ham United have entered the race to sign the 24-year-old Torino defender and it remains to be seen whether they can secure an agreement to sign him next month.

The defender is reportedly valued at over €30 million and it remains to be seen whether Aston Villa and West Ham are prepared to pay up. The West Midlands club have emerged as a surprise contender for the league title this season and they are currently third in the table.

They hope to sustain their current form and push for the title until the end of the campaign. They will need to bring in quality signings during the January transfer window to keep up with the Premier League elite.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/12/20/aston-villa-west-ham-keen-on-versatile-defender-who-could-cost-around-e30m/