January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

All feel like players we would buy when we are fighting to get in the top 10 and not now where we are trying to take advantage of being in the CL places.  Think we need to think of better quality imo.

I hear you but was thinking none of your Lautaro Martinez or Jonathan Davids of this world are going to come in to challenge Ollie. It’s the Spuds/Kane conundrum all over again. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, burchy said:

I hear you but was thinking none of your Lautaro Martinez or Jonathan Davids of this world are going to come in to challenge Ollie. It’s the Spuds/Kane conundrum all over again. 

That’s fair but there must be players out there that are ready for that next level up that Emery and Monchi can convince to come like Diaby and Torres were.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s fair but there must be players out there that are ready for that next level up that Emery and Monchi can convince to come like Diaby and Torres were.

I quite like Gimenez at Feyenoord but he’s a bit of a poacher so not sure he’d be the right fit. Boniface at Leverkusen looks a prospect too but again not sure he’d come in to play second fiddle. 

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think we need to think where Emery wants the versatility in the squad. I think Pau is a LB/LCB and Konsa RB/RCB in a functional back 3 in possession. For this to work we need an attacking RB/RM who has similar profile to Moreno on left. If we play a CB at full back we play an attacking full back ahead of him on that side. 

I also feel we need a right footed winger / versatile forward. It depends where Buendia fits in, I think he's best as the s/s dropping off Watkins into the 10 position. His workrate and skilled passing would be perfect in a high press role there. So we would have him as competition for Diaby there. 

LM has JJ really, I think McGinn or Zaniolo there isn't the natural place for them. So a right footed winger could operate well here and give us options. 

For me the squad changes would be out Chambers, Dendonker, Traore - replace them with attacking RB, a Right footed winger/ wide forward and ball winning 6. 

I'm still worried by losing Watkins, I think either the right footed winger / forward is capable of leading line if needed or we find or loan in an experienced striker. 

We need to move Olsen on too and replace.

I think diaby/bailey cover that right side but what would massively improve us is the side where JJ and zaniolo play on that left if we can bring in someone there who is able to perform at a higher level we will put ourselves in a great position and believe me watkins is going anywhere 

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I didn't think we needed to sign anyone, but I am now of the opinion that our most urgent signing is a RB if the right one is available.

I'm a Matty Cash fan, but I think he's reached his limits and I feel he stands out a bit now in the team as not being as fluid and switched on as the others.

Yeah him and zaniolo not up to speed at all 

Don’t for one second think that Emery won’t be signing at least one player in Jan given the position that we’re in, as that would be borderline insanity, he will know whats missing and the type of personnel required for that position.

We just need to sit back and enjoy the show

Edited by RicRic

3 hours ago, RicRic said:

I think diaby/bailey cover that right side but what would massively improve us is the side where JJ and zaniolo play on that left if we can bring in someone there who is able to perform at a higher level we will put ourselves in a great position and believe me watkins is going anywhere 

Spoiler

spacer.png

Better than any attacker we currently have…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RicRic said:

Yeah him and zaniolo not up to speed at all 

I disagree with Zaniolo, but it is yet to be proven either way. Tough start for him let's see what he offers in the second half of the season...

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

Emery access to train Duran/Diaby to cover Watkins best option at the moment.  Clubs have spent fortunes on strikers that don't cut it. Nunez no goal in 10. Hojlund no league goal yet. Haaland the only "striker" in top 5 PL scorers atm. Watkins is one but he was wide forward converted. Salah and Son, and Bowen the other 3. Not strikers. Arsenal don't rely on a striker

54 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Emery access to train Duran/Diaby to cover Watkins best option at the moment.  Clubs have spent fortunes on strikers that don't cut it. Nunez no goal in 10. Hojlund no league goal yet. Haaland the only "striker" in top 5 PL scorers atm. Watkins is one but he was wide forward converted. Salah and Son, and Bowen the other 3. Not strikers. Arsenal don't rely on a striker

Emery said twice earlier in the year after buying Duran he wanted another striker. So I’m going with him to know. He said striker, not forward so I doubt that means Diaby.

Edited by nick76

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Emery said twice earlier in the year after buying Duran he wanted another striker. So I’m going with him to know. He said striker, not forward so I doubt that means Diaby.

He said when we signed Diaby it's a very good signing because he can left, right side forward and striker. Diaby played striker PSG youth team

We won’t be buying a striker in Jan for one key reason. If we make champions league we are going to be shopping at at a completely different level and at striker level that makes a huge difference. E.g the mooted interest in Chiesa in the summer. 

We already have emergency cover in Duran, Diaby and Zaniolo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He said when we signed Diaby it's a very good signing because he can left, right side forward and striker. Diaby played striker PSG youth team

Oh God.. he’s the new Traore where you tell everyone that he’s played striker before.

Noooooooo!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Oh God.. he’s the new Traore where you tell everyone that he’s played striker before.

Noooooooo!!!

Yeah I do that but most of my posts are devil's advocate. I'm not being intentionally antagonistic even if that's how it comes across. I want to be convinced but generally I'm not. There's a dearth of striking options in PL let alone Europe. I was thinking today if this amazing backup striker that doesn't cost a fortune and will seamlessly fit in and be happy to fill in if Watkins gets injured exists why haven't the top teams signed them. The answer is they don't exist. We have depth other teams don't in our interchangeability of players in Emery system and some neutral YT podcast punters have realised that after our results against City and Arsenal. What if player x gets injured, then what? applies to every team

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Thank the lord we will be playing the other Premier League clubs’ youth teams then….

• Like 1