Songs that sound like other songs ...

Marka Ragnos

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I wonder how tough a sales pitch it was in ‘76 for someone in Warner to take this to the boss and say, hey, we need to sign these guys and give them some money.

Easy, I reckon. In ‘76 the record labels were awash with money and music was changing direction, so piece of cake?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

Easy, I reckon. In ‘76 the record labels were awash with money and music was changing direction, so piece of cake?

Yeah, you’re right actually by ‘76 I would imagine record companies were looking for the next thing, and a quick wiki suggests Bowie was interested in them, so that would have made life a lot easier.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not hearing any similarity there if I'm honest - this sounds like Blue Monday?

No, it doesn't, I agree. I think there's a bit of it in the first one chris posted, though. I'm not saying rip-off or anything, just...something.

• Like 1

I think you could easily make a case that they are all three linked. There’s an alternative sound in ‘76, by ‘79 there’s a tune in there and in ‘83 it’s given the full disco production values.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think you could easily make a case that they are all three linked. There’s an alternative sound in ‘76, by ‘79 there’s a tune in there and in ‘83 it’s given the full disco production values.

I think that's a bit of a push - there are two songs there that definitely sound the same, they have similar spacing, melody, rhythm, cadence etc and one that's loosely linked because it's played using an instrument that makes sounds that share a common root - but it's like saying Hold on I'm coming is influenced by The Last Post just because they've both got a trumpet - as an instrument develops and people learn to use it, they make music that has a natural connection because the instrument is the same - but I don't think that necessarily means influence.

Songs that sound like other songs is definitely there in the Gerry and the Holograms thing and Blue Monday - the other thing seems like shoehorning in something that's also electronic because, I don't know because people like it and want it to be important I guess - anyways, we have a music thread for that and I'm meandering off topic.

Andrew Lloyd Webber extensively sampled his parents' record collection.

Dutch composer Louis Andriessen stated that he: "has yet to think up a single note; in fact, the poor guy's never invented one note by himself. That's rather poor".

There's a number of ok Youtube vids on this, the best one was by a music teacher sat at a piano playing the og's vs ALW's hits. I think it's gone or hidden? Even given the finite combinations of notes, it's blatant stuff.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

Dutch composer Louis Andriessen stated that he: "has yet to think up a single note; in fact, the poor guy's never invented one note by himself. That's rather poor".

I assume he was trying to be funny, there. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Gotye's "Somebody I used to know" sounds an awful lot like XTC's "Senses working overtime" 

I'd link the songs, but I'm on a mobile and frankly can't be arsed. 

Here ya go

Yeah I can see you what you mean.

As an aside, funnily enough I only ever look at VT on my phone.

• Thanks 1

Â