Songs that sound like other songs ...

Marka Ragnos

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Neu! Can, Popul Vuh, Cluster, Tangerine Dream and a whole bunch of others who have had an extremely influential effect on modern music. The influence started with Bowie, Eno and Iggy Pop when they buggered off to bohemian West Berlin in he 70s which is where Bowie Berlin trilogy came from and Eno went on a wild ambient trip that continues to this day.

I would rather listen to a kettle boil than anyone on this list with the possible exception of Iggy Pop.

It's the whole period of early eighties bleurgh that I spend happy hours avoiding!

None of which helps with the thread, which is songs that sound like other songs, not songs that sound like obscure but influential genres!

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would rather listen to a kettle boil than anyone on this list with the possible exception of Iggy Pop.

It's the whole period of early eighties bleurgh that I spend happy hours avoiding!

None of which helps with the thread, which is songs that sound like other songs, not songs that sound like obscure but influential genres!

It really wasn’t a list the influence is far far far more widespread than my post suggests

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Are Bute Town Carnival a band?

spacer.png

Mohammad Al Hadari and his band were there, along with both premier South Wales samba bands, Barra Cwda, and Samba Gález. I was worried it would all kick off but it was still quite amicable when I left. Just hope neither band hits the Prosecco too hard.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bickster said:

I'd post that The Beatles ripped off the Jam's Start  years before Paul Weller wrote it but you all know that one anyway surely. Then there was ELO ripping off Paul Weller's The Changingman years before he wrote that too

I mean how unlucky can Weller be to have all these people writing his songs before he did

For all their quoting of their reference bands being The Kinks, The Who, The Small Faces, there is a lot of Beatles stuff in The Jam’s work. I just wiki’d it up to see something and it actually references Start, To Be Someone, Liza Radley, and Dreams of Children all with ‘similarities’ to Taxman.

But The Jam paid no royalties for it and were never challenged or sued. Then other bands sampled ‘Start’ because that absolutely wasn’t ‘Taxman’, and there was no way Weller would have the nerve to sue them for copying him and Apple couldn’t sue because it was a sample of Start and absolutely not Taxman. 

I lost track of Weller after The Style Council, I’ve heard bits n bobs but its sounded a bit generic midlife rock so its wafted past me without sticking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I lost track of Weller after The Style Council, I’ve heard bits n bobs but its sounded a bit generic midlife rock so its wafted past me without sticking.

I bought (and still like) 'Wild Wood'. It is indeed generic midlife rock. But then I like generic midlife rock. 

Didn't bother after that one, though. 

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Two pages in and no-one has said every Oasis song sounds like a rip off of someone else.

You guys are slacking. 

Funnily enough, bar the odd homage they didn't really rip off the Beatles.  Lots and lots of other bands though.

7 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Nirvana and Killing Joke the first one that always springs to my mind. Though apparently The Damned beat them both to the punch on that particular riff.

Thought the more obvious Nirvana one  was Boston’s  more than a feeling ?

Guns n Roses have never heard this song apparently and the original artist is also on record saying it’s unlikely they would have heard our song … but anyone think there is a lot of similarities in the two ?

• Like 1

Â