Songs that sound like other songs ...

Marka Ragnos

I'm not saying these would necessarily be instances of copyright infringement or the intentional stealing of songs -- but I'm not saying they're not that, either. What are some pairs of songs that --- as you hear them -- sound coincidentally similar to you?

Here's a pair of songs that share some improbably similar passages of melody: 

WARNING: ULTRAVOX VID IS NSFW.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

I remember thinking I was going crazy that seemingly it was only me who thought The Kids Aren’t Alright by The Offspring bore a passing similarity to the theme tune to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 

I remember my mates were all dismissive about it. Since then I’ve found some like minded souls on the internet but I needed them to back me up 20+ years ago.

• Like 1

I'd post that The Beatles ripped off the Jam's Start  years before Paul Weller wrote it but you all know that one anyway surely. Then there was ELO ripping off Paul Weller's The Changingman years before he wrote that too

I mean how unlucky can Weller be to have all these people writing his songs before he did

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A perfectly good tune in its own right then at 1:44 turns in to a generic Neu! Homage.

Imma Mooney on this one - is Neu! an artist? 

I don't know this song, is their a particular song by Neu! that this sounds like?

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Moby has a history of theft, he's a grade A word removed

Ripped off The Passage's Drugface with absolutely no credit among others

Yeah, you've told that story before. On this one though, he was the first and charlatans 4 years later

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

is Neu! an artist?

How to say I know feck all about music without saying it out loud :D 

German Experimental Electronic Music, AKA Krautrock

So you’ve heard of Kraftwerk, well out of the same scene came…

Neu! Can, Popul Vuh, Cluster, Tangerine Dream and a whole bunch of others who have had an extremely influential effect on modern music. The influence started with Bowie, Eno and Iggy Pop when they buggered off to bohemian West Berlin in he 70s which is where Bowie Berlin trilogy came from and Eno went on a wild ambient trip that continues to this day. Since then the motorik beat and the electronic rhythms have spread their influence far and wide and pretty much underpin most European electronic music to this day. 
Radiohead, Depeche Mode, U2 and work your way downwards from there through Portishead…. Trance, rave, all of it, it all starts with the German Experimental scene in the 70s

• Like 3

Â