Marcos Acuña

wishywashy

13 minutes ago, Daulmakan said:

I don't think Acuña is a journeyman at all. Until 17 years old he only played at the amateur club level, and debuted officially with 20 years old in our second division. I understand you might consider him to be since he played for 4 teams in the span of 11 years, but everyone of those was an upgrade over the previous team, and he's always been the starter. Journeymen don't do that. As for Digne, what I've seen of him is that he's a good offensive player, good assister, but lacks defensive instincts and can be wildly inconsistent. Acuña is anything but. Even if he's having a bad day on the technical side, you can be sure he'll do his best to make it up for it by running his ass off. It's a clear upgrade for me, and if it liberates money for more transfers, even better.

I really appreciate your response and trust you know him far better than I. I don't see "journeyman" as a negative at all btw -- merely a description of someone who is a reliable player who isn't married to one club and fulfills a key role at a moderate cost, that's all. I'm not really trying to prove any point -- just learning. I feel concerned about the Acuna thing mostly because of the way it's getting tied to the idea of freeing up Digne funds, a quid pro quo. I just can't see how we're in a position to sell Digne, at least not until the winter and Moreno's back. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

7 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I really appreciate your response and trust you know him far better than I. I don't see "journeyman" as a negative at all btw -- merely a description of someone who is a reliable player who isn't married to one club and fulfills a key role at a moderate cost, that's all. I'm not really trying to prove any point -- just learning. I feel concerned about the Acuna thing mostly because of the way it's getting tied to the idea of freeing up Digne funds, a quid pro quo. I just can't see how we're in a position to sell Digne, at least not until the winter and Moreno's back. 

Moreno is back on the grass today. So maybe a couple of weeks away from being available for selection.  And as mentioned the deadline for saudi transfers is 3 wks later than england .  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Moreno is back on the grass today. So maybe a couple of weeks away from being available for selection.  And as mentioned the deadline for saudi transfers is 3 wks later than england .  

This all just gets too complicated for me to grasp because we're talking about FFP issues, too, presumably, right? Banking on Moreno's speedy recovery and Saudi interest in Digne and Acuna being great and fitting in fast -- thanks heavens I don't have to make these calls and balance all the moving pieces. I wouldn't presume to know what's best so I hold up my hands up. 😐 

Is Acuna able to work on the right, too? That would be helpful. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Doubt he'd play if it was a La Liga match, but I imagine he wouldn't want to miss the Super Cup.

Yeah understandable that he would want to play this one and try and win another trophy before he leaves 

26 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This all just gets too complicated for me to grasp because we're talking about FFP issues, too, presumably, right? Banking on Moreno's speedy recovery and Saudi interest in Digne and Acuna being great and fitting in fast -- thanks heavens I don't have to make these calls and balance all the moving pieces. I wouldn't presume to know what's best so I hold up my hands up. 😐 

Is Acuna able to work on the right, too? That would be helpful. 

I believe he played a few games on the right in Racing under Cocca, but didn't really watch those, so I can't say with how much accuracy he did. Also, he's not totally inept with his right leg:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daulmakan said:

Sure thing! I love it for you guys, Acuña is a great player. He was actually our starter left wingback, but dealt with minor injuries during the cup and so Tagliafico started some games (Acuña is better than him IMO). His nickname is "huevo" (egg) because as a child he'd injure his head often and regularly have bumps (eggs) in his head. It has stuck through all of his career because he's a very feisty player and in argentina "meter huevos" is an euphemism for that kind of player. He's pretty complete, if unspectacular. He defends, he attacks, he runs, can score from long range, good assister, doesn't have any noticeable weakness other than his short size, which isn't an issue at all playing in the wing. He'd be very happy next to Dibu and they've played together in our national team's resurgence, so they know what competing at the highest level is, he'll bring veteran savvyness and a competitive edge to your team, something I believe you can definitely use. I don't think he'd have trouble adapting to the Premier League. For 10 million, I'd definitely pull the trigger, even more so if you can sell Digne for more than that and keep the difference, I believe Acuña to be the better player anyway. Age could be a concern as he's a physically-intensive player, but you're not getting him for the long term and he should come cheap.

This is just incorrect. Our weakest link by a country mile during the cup was De Paul, everyone was screaming for him to be replaced. Furthermore, up until the finals, Argentina was unbeaten in goal when Acuña played, so that's 5 goals we suffered when he wasn't in the pitch (and he played the same minutes as Tagliafico overall).

Thank you…

well, it’s hard to get more of an endorsement than that!

Excited now 😂

Just need to make sure we offload Digne…

• Like 2

I said it earlier in the thread but this makes so much sense; Villa need a little more ruggedness, nous and experience in the defence now with Mings injured.

Acuña and Moreno rotating potentially extends the careers of both players too.

• Like 2

Â