Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

51 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I still think  there's a  player in there somewhere. All it takes is one moment of brilliance, and before we know it, we have top, top player to rave about. 

Diaby cost millions, and we're still waiting. 

Hope you're right but he lost me after his previous appearance. I was clinging on to the "he'll make it" side of the fence, but sadly my grip gave way. I'm now in the boat that says we should send him back (if we can), save some money and give one of our own (Rogers) those minutes that he gets now.

Unless we've somehow passes the mandatory but clause stage, in which case he should be given more minutes to develop some form, but I'm fairly sure he won't have.

55 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I still think  there's a  player in there somewhere. All it takes is one moment of brilliance, and before we know it, we have top, top player to rave about. 

Dunno we have had that moment of brilliance but he still hasn't kicked on and Emery clearly doesn't trust him.

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Dunno we have had that moment of brilliance but he still hasn't kicked on and Emery clearly doesn't trust him.

Yeah something's happened. Emery played him far more in the first two months when he was rusty. and now he is match fit he barely gets more than 10 minutes at most in a game.

It was a bit of a gamble but at least it was a loan so we can shake hands at the end of the season and move on.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I have been waiting patiently for him to settle, and it follows that the skill set will be seen eventually.

.....But he doesn't seem to have the fire in his belly, to make the whole thing work.

In this league, there is a group of players, who are all very good, very skillful and very committed....If you play in front of them, with impunity, you will not disturb them.....you have to get amongst them, he is equipped to be a wrecking ball, and floats like a butterfly.

It takes, courage, Fire & Brimstone, to put pressure on them, allied to your skill set to advance yourself......for a big man, he looks passive to me.

I think that's the issue for me aswell. He has exactly the profile of a forward to do well in this league. Decent acceleration and with his size should be able to shield the ball o.k.

We're not talking about some lightweight 5ft 7 in player that just struggles physically.

He scored a nice header v Sheffield United when he gambled so you'd like to see a bit more of that if we get crosses in, Sunday in fairness wasn't a game to judge him given heads dropped after the late goal and no one in the ground really believed we'd get a late equaliser (they were also putting on endless CBs to deal with the crosses).

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Hope you're right but he lost me after his previous appearance. I was clinging on to the "he'll make it" side of the fence, but sadly my grip gave way. I'm now in the boat that says we should send him back (if we can), save some money and give one of our own (Rogers) those minutes that he gets now.

Unless we've somehow passes the mandatory but clause stage, in which case he should be given more minutes to develop some form, but I'm fairly sure he won't have.

I'm not one for giving up on a player who is no doubt talented. That header against Sheff Utd was no gimme. The way he ghosted in, I don't think anyone saw that movement, that kind of anticipation speaks of a decent footballer. Sometimes, it's almost like he's trying too hard, neglecting the easy pass and ending up taking one touch too many, or shooting without the required self - belief. 

Look how Bailey has turned things round, without doubt, our most dynamic player. That talent hasn't just arrived, it was just lying dormant, until he found the belief in himself. 

I would play him ahead of Diaby right now. Emery needs to drum home to him how unless he starts performing to the standard required, his future with us could be short - lived. Just a little motivation in his ear, "I know you have got it, now go out there and there and flaunt it," nothing would make me happier. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

I know, but it was just so late in the game and we were still shell - shocked at losing our winning run. Even the draw felt like a defeat. 

I hope he can prove us wrong, only the Villa can make us happy at being wrong, well, most of us.

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm not one for giving up on a player who is no doubt talented. That header against Sheff Utd was no gimme. The way he ghosted in, I don't think anyone saw that movement, that kind of anticipation speaks of a decent footballer. Sometimes, it's almost like he's trying too hard, neglecting the easy pass and ending up taking one touch too many, or shooting without the required self - belief. 

Look how Bailey has turned things round, without doubt, our most dynamic player. That talent hasn't just arrived, it was just lying dormant, until he found the belief in himself. 

I would play him ahead of Diaby right now. Emery needs to drum home to him how unless he starts performing to the standard required, his future with us could be short - lived. Just a little motivation in his ear, "I know you have got it, now go out there and there and flaunt it," nothing would make me happier. 

You’d play a loan player we clearly have no intention of buying who’s been dreadful ahead of our record signing who, granted, is also out of form, but a much better player?

Why?

There isn’t a timeline that exists where Zaniolo gets on the pitch ahead of Diaby. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

You’d play a loan player we clearly have no intention of buying who’s been dreadful ahead of our record signing who, granted, is also out of form, but a much better player?

Why?

There isn’t a timeline that exists where Zaniolo gets on the pitch ahead of Diaby. 

Zanilolo hasn't had the minutes that Diaby has. And you're now vouching for a player who you said, "can feck off too". Make your mind up, Herbert. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Zanilolo hasn't had the minutes that Diaby has. And you're now vouching for a player who you said, "can feck off too". Make your mind up, Herbert. 

Diaby has been poor, no doubt, but Zaniolo has been atrocious and he isn’t our player. He’s not getting on the pitch ahead of our record signing. The very worst version of Diaby is still a better player than Zaniolo - based on what I’ve seen of both, Derek. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I think that's the issue for me aswell. He has exactly the profile of a forward to do well in this league. Decent acceleration and with his size should be able to shield the ball o.k.

We're not talking about some lightweight 5ft 7 in player that just struggles physically.

He scored a nice header v Sheffield United when he gambled so you'd like to see a bit more of that if we get crosses in, Sunday in fairness wasn't a game to judge him given heads dropped after the late goal and no one in the ground really believed we'd get a late equaliser (they were also putting on endless CBs to deal with the crosses).

No game lately has been one to judge him in, as he doesn't get more than five to ten minutes.

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Whilst I agree with you, unless he gets some decent minutes and he's effective in those minutes, it isn't going to work out for him here.

I find it a shame as he has some useful qualities we could definitely use in this team, unfortunately he is struggling just to do the basics competently.

I think the change in country/league followed quickly by the betting furore has left him in a but of a lull at a time he needed to be putting his best foot forward.

I will hold out hope that he will prove me right until the end of the season.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

I've changed my mind on him entirely. I was hopeful that this would be an awesome loan, but I was wrong.

He's crap, he does nothing, the ball either bounces off him, or he tries something he might have been able to do 5 years ago, and fails, giving the ball back to the opposition.

Just send him back, he's a dud. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Diaby has been poor, no doubt, but Zaniolo has been atrocious and he isn’t our player. He’s not getting on the pitch ahead of our record signing. The very worst version of Diaby is still a better player than Zaniolo - based on what I’ve seen of both, Derek. 

Let the rest of the season do the talking.

On 13/02/2024 at 16:23, sheepyvillian said:

Maybe there is but we aren't taking that £30m gamble on the evidence so far. I'd rather see Rogers get game time, as I'm sure he will make a bigger contribution than zaniolo did in games and will help him develop.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tom13 said:

No game lately has been one to judge him in, as he doesn't get more than five to ten minutes.

Bournemouth away seems to have been where Unai totally went cold on him, rarely do you see us sub anyone at half time unless they're injured.

He started Forest away aswell and didn't do a huge amount so that's where he lost his chance, that period of the season.

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

The things is Chris....You then study, the mannerisms, facial expressions, and body Language, of Scott McTominay ( not just because he scored)...but he was fired up with determination and rallying the troops...us old uns saw it with Andy Gray....That was a typical Gray Header, ball and kitchen sink with it.

We have to find some of this in our players, outside of just John McGinn, he can't do it all.

That header against Sheff Utd, was perfect and a good example.....so why doesn't he play in the middle?...He shows he can do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

The things is Chris....You then study, the mannerisms, facial expressions, and body Language, of Scott McTominay ( not just because he scored)...but he was fired up with determination and rallying the troops...us old uns saw it with Andy Gray....That was a typical Gray Header, ball and kitchen sink with it.

We have to find some of this in our players, outside of just John McGinn, he can't do it all.

That header against Sheff Utd, was perfect and a good example.....so why doesn't he play in the middle?...He shows he can do it.

You've seriously got to stop looking at silly comparisons. The current side is full of continental players many of whom don't have a blood and guts attitude, but that doesn't make them crap. And as much as I like McGinn he's been seriously found wanting in games himself and can be very one dimensional. I'm sure if we had a team made up of McGinns, McTominays or Gray's we'd still be lacking elsewhere.

Lets be honest, McGinn is far from the main player in the side. He may well be captain but imo he's behind Martinez, Dougie, Watkins Konsa and Torres for quality. McGinn is a limited player, a good player on his day, but still limited. The idea he does everything on his own is nonsense.  

• Like 3

Â