Neighbours, everybody needs good Neighbours

Genie

But on the flip side, my neighbours are lovely, African couple with a young daughter who is about 2 years old, never hear a peep from them and always stop and have a chat with them.

I never hear a thing from my neighbours above me, I try to be respectful, if I'm playing my bass guitar I always do it through headphones because I reckon the noise would make their floorboards rumble, I do play my music every now and again and if I'm having a few beers on a Friday night the volume might go up a little but its never excessively loud or late I don't think.

If they were going to complain about anything it would probably be the foul language that I scream when playing COD with my mate.

The last neighbours that were above me were a right pair, I had to report them to the landlord because of the constant arguing, normally I wouldn't bother but I had to tell him that these arguments sounded like they were verging on violence, I thought he was knocking her about, turns out that she'd been abusing him for months, police were involved and he took a restraining order out on her, then he couldn't pay his rent so the landlord booted him out as well.

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

My Mom n Dad lived in there old house for knocking on for 30 years, they got new neighbours and everything went to hell for them to the point they had to move out.

They were an Asian family and at first everything was fine, then he started doing work in his house, hammering and banging away at all hours, whatever he was doing caused a big **** off crack on my mom n dads side of the wall, he denied that he could possibly have done it when it was pretty clear that it wouldn't have happened any other way.

They got the wall sorted but the banging continued, there was no rhyme or reason to it, 7am in the morning for 3 hours, 10pm at night for 2 hours, 1pm in the afternoon, my Dad had recently retired as well so he was home pretty much all the time, it got to the point that my Dad knocked on the door and asked if he could keep the banging to a reasonable hour, while he appreciated that he had to do work but going on from 5pm till 11pm wasn't fair on my Mom after she had got back from work, the response they got was "I have to work, it has to be done" 

The noise was ungodly.

One evening I was round there and me and my dad were going up the road to get some beer in, as we walked outside we could see through his living room window and he was standing there repeatedly throwing a box against the wall, obviously just to make a racket for my parents.

Another time, me and my Dad pulled up the drive in the car and as the light shone on their door we saw his reflection, as soon as my Dad pulled up he ran off and into the living room and started the banging again, he was literally waiting for him to come back so he could start again, my Mom had been home the whole time and she said it stopped as soon as my Dad went out and started when he got back.

anyways, there were constant rows, he had workers round there one time and I heard one of them say something about my Mom (I can't remember what it was that was said but I lost it) went round started booting their door trying to get the prick to come out so that I could lamp him, police were called, my mom and dad explained everything that had been going on, police left without doing anything but told my mom and dad to get in touch with the council about the noise.

council left recording equipment at my mom and dads so they could monitor the noise (which was still pretty much constant) they thought they were finally going to get something sorted.

Then, the police were called again, he had told them that my mom had shouted racist abuse at him over the fence (this apparently happened when my parents were on holiday in Spain) then there was another occasion when apparently I had shouted racist abuse at him (again, I wasn't even round there on the day in question I hadn't lived there for about 8 years at this point) and it kept on happening, all these accusations of racism when a lot of the time it happened when no one was even in the house. 

because of this the council said that the whole situation had entered a "grey area" because if they came down on him for using his tools or doing work at unsociable house then he would accuse the council of racism as well and that was something that they couldn't risk, a meeting was set up at my mom and dads with both the council and police who sat there for over an hour explaining why nothing could be done about it, my dad kicked them out and the house went up for sale.

It was an absolute living nightmare for them, a few months after they had moved out my Mom got called into the police station and was told that he had made another complaint that she was driving down the road hung her head out the window and shouted racist abuse at him again, this is despite the fact that she would have been at work at the time so there was no way it could even have happened.

The policewoman that spoke to my Mom said that it was clear that he was trying to hide behind the race card and that if anymore complaints were made then they would threaten him for wasting police time or something along them lines.

Funny thing is that it was always my Mom who he made the complaints against to the police, never my Dad, it would have been more believable if he had pointed the finger at my old man.

That was the last that we heard from him, I still go past the house every now and again and feel like firebombing it.

Bloody hell, thats awful.

How on earth did the manage to sell the house? Don't you have disclose stuff like that?

• Like 1

I'm not too sure how they did it but they did, it was a proper rough time for them, it wouldn't surprise me if:

1 - they didn't disclose it purely because it was in the interest of their own health to get out ASAP

2 - the banging and nuisance shit all stopped the day they moved out

I'm pretty sure that the problems started almost as soon as it was pointed out that he'd caused the crack in the wall, from then he just went out of his way to cause as much trouble as he possibly could, he would have loved nothing more than for me to go round and chin him because with all of the previous reports to the police of racist abuse no doubt it would have been 10x worse than just a standard neighbourly scrap.

There’s some funny **** where I live, in fact I’m sure one hermit - like desperado has my jigsaw puzzle but I’m not entirely sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

My Mom n Dad lived in there old house for knocking on for 30 years, they got new neighbours and everything went to hell for them to the point they had to move out.

They were an Asian family and at first everything was fine, then he started doing work in his house, hammering and banging away at all hours, whatever he was doing caused a big **** off crack on my mom n dads side of the wall, he denied that he could possibly have done it when it was pretty clear that it wouldn't have happened any other way.

They got the wall sorted but the banging continued, there was no rhyme or reason to it, 7am in the morning for 3 hours, 10pm at night for 2 hours, 1pm in the afternoon, my Dad had recently retired as well so he was home pretty much all the time, it got to the point that my Dad knocked on the door and asked if he could keep the banging to a reasonable hour, while he appreciated that he had to do work but going on from 5pm till 11pm wasn't fair on my Mom after she had got back from work, the response they got was "I have to work, it has to be done" 

The noise was ungodly.

One evening I was round there and me and my dad were going up the road to get some beer in, as we walked outside we could see through his living room window and he was standing there repeatedly throwing a box against the wall, obviously just to make a racket for my parents.

Another time, me and my Dad pulled up the drive in the car and as the light shone on their door we saw his reflection, as soon as my Dad pulled up he ran off and into the living room and started the banging again, he was literally waiting for him to come back so he could start again, my Mom had been home the whole time and she said it stopped as soon as my Dad went out and started when he got back.

anyways, there were constant rows, he had workers round there one time and I heard one of them say something about my Mom (I can't remember what it was that was said but I lost it) went round started booting their door trying to get the prick to come out so that I could lamp him, police were called, my mom and dad explained everything that had been going on, police left without doing anything but told my mom and dad to get in touch with the council about the noise.

council left recording equipment at my mom and dads so they could monitor the noise (which was still pretty much constant) they thought they were finally going to get something sorted.

Then, the police were called again, he had told them that my mom had shouted racist abuse at him over the fence (this apparently happened when my parents were on holiday in Spain) then there was another occasion when apparently I had shouted racist abuse at him (again, I wasn't even round there on the day in question I hadn't lived there for about 8 years at this point) and it kept on happening, all these accusations of racism when a lot of the time it happened when no one was even in the house. 

because of this the council said that the whole situation had entered a "grey area" because if they came down on him for using his tools or doing work at unsociable house then he would accuse the council of racism as well and that was something that they couldn't risk, a meeting was set up at my mom and dads with both the council and police who sat there for over an hour explaining why nothing could be done about it, my dad kicked them out and the house went up for sale.

It was an absolute living nightmare for them, a few months after they had moved out my Mom got called into the police station and was told that he had made another complaint that she was driving down the road hung her head out the window and shouted racist abuse at him again, this is despite the fact that she would have been at work at the time so there was no way it could even have happened.

The policewoman that spoke to my Mom said that it was clear that he was trying to hide behind the race card and that if anymore complaints were made then they would threaten him for wasting police time or something along them lines.

Funny thing is that it was always my Mom who he made the complaints against to the police, never my Dad, it would have been more believable if he had pointed the finger at my old man.

That was the last that we heard from him, I still go past the house every now and again and feel like firebombing it.

That is horrific. Sound like the neighbor was mentally ill.

43 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

I'm not too sure how they did it but they did, it was a proper rough time for them, it wouldn't surprise me if:

1 - they didn't disclose it purely because it was in the interest of their own health to get out ASAP

2 - the banging and nuisance shit all stopped the day they moved out

I'm pretty sure that the problems started almost as soon as it was pointed out that he'd caused the crack in the wall, from then he just went out of his way to cause as much trouble as he possibly could, he would have loved nothing more than for me to go round and chin him because with all of the previous reports to the police of racist abuse no doubt it would have been 10x worse than just a standard neighbourly scrap.

Glad your parents got out. Who purchased the house? Relatives of the mad neighbour? I've heard of that happening before. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Glad your parents got out. Who purchased the house? Relatives of the mad neighbour? I've heard of that happening before. 

No idea who moved in, but their next neighbour was a crazy old lady who used to scream and shout at everyone, they moved again after just 2 or 3 years, they weren't ever really happy with the place and didn't like the house but they just had to get out of the old place, their current neighbours are a young couple, the lad is a little scrawny **** and the bird is a great big fat girl, I honestly think that he is a feeder, like the type of person who would get a stiffy while watching his missus eat 12 fat ass donuts

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

That was my first thought reading that.

6 hours ago, colhint said:

His hobby was morse code so he was tapping away all the time. The military pay him to practice and teach it. He explained if the worst ever happened you could still communicate with morse.

.-- .... .- - ....... .- ....... -.-. .-.. . .- .-. .. -. --. ....... .. -. ....... - .... . ....... .-- --- --- -.. ...

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

.-- .... .- - ....... .- ....... -.-. .-.. . .- .-. .. -. --. ....... .. -. ....... - .... . ....... .-- --- --- -.. ...

Easy for you to say. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Honestly having bad neighbours can make your life hell.  I love where i live but if any of them sold up and i had a prick move next door it would make me consider selling

Yep once a nutter moves in who isn't reasonable it's time to move on, it never ends well and once the police are called its difficult not to disclose any disputes. I would probably rent out to get out ASAP and rent myself until I was ready to sell. 

It's been really serendipitous that our neighbours have two kids the same ages as our two oldest grandchildren. And they've become best mates. 

• Like 1

We bought a house 5 years ago. We loved the house from day one but about a week after moving in we noticed that the house behind us had a dog that barked an awful lot. 

Then came the pandemic, lockdown and working from home. I swear, there were days when the dog barked from morning to night. I think the dog was a Pointer. Either way he had this horrible, sharp, rasping bark that would just get inside your head. It almost drove us crazy. It got to a stage where I had to wear earphone while working g to try to block out the noise.

We aren't the type to make a fuss and hate conflict.  Still, we decided we had to let them know. But this is the weird part. Every time we resolved to knock on their door about it he would stop for a few days and we would leave it. Then it would start again.

Which brings me to November 2021. We were now 3 years living here and I was still mostly working from home. The barking was so bad. I decided something had to be done and would call the next day. We had even discussed what would happen if they were uncoperative and the possibility that we would put the house up for sale (the barking was driving us both crazy). And here is the thing. He didn't bark the next day and hasn't barked since! It is so weird. The dog is still there but the nuisance barking just stopped all of a sudden. My wife thinks they replaced the dog with the same breed but I am convinced it is the same dog and he has just stopped being a nuisance (neutered or something?).

I honestly would love to know what happened because we genuinely were prepared to sell up if it didn't get resolved and we both think it is super weird that it just resolved itself without us having to do anything. 

14 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I honestly would love to know what happened because we genuinely were prepared to sell up if it didn't get resolved and we both think it is super weird that it just resolved itself without us having to do anything. 

The timing is weird but maybe they got one of those machines that emits a high pitched sound in reaction to a dog bark?

I bought one because of our next door neighbor's dog and put it on the side of the house. The daft mutt just goes to the other side of the house to bark it's brains out.

15 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

We bought a house 5 years ago. We loved the house from day one but about a week after moving in we noticed that the house behind us had a dog that barked an awful lot. 

Then came the pandemic, lockdown and working from home. I swear, there were days when the dog barked from morning to night. I think the dog was a Pointer. Either way he had this horrible, sharp, rasping bark that would just get inside your head. It almost drove us crazy. It got to a stage where I had to wear earphone while working g to try to block out the noise.

We aren't the type to make a fuss and hate conflict.  Still, we decided we had to let them know. But this is the weird part. Every time we resolved to knock on their door about it he would stop for a few days and we would leave it. Then it would start again.

Which brings me to November 2021. We were now 3 years living here and I was still mostly working from home. The barking was so bad. I decided something had to be done and would call the next day. We had even discussed what would happen if they were uncoperative and the possibility that we would put the house up for sale (the barking was driving us both crazy). And here is the thing. He didn't bark the next day and hasn't barked since! It is so weird. The dog is still there but the nuisance barking just stopped all of a sudden. My wife thinks they replaced the dog with the same breed but I am convinced it is the same dog and he has just stopped being a nuisance (neutered or something?).

You reckon they either paid to get training for it, or maybe they got one of them horrible anti bark shock collars, I don't know if they are legal or not in the UK though

I live in a flat/apartment complex and the neighbours are generally okay.  I have one lady who moved in about the same time I did (roughly 15 years ago) and whilst we don't really chat much, she is always pleasant, waves to me when we're both outside and comes over to ask how I'm doing etc (I'm on a floor where I have a terrace area).  The other side is purely rental as I have new neighbours there every year or so - no real issues with any of them (except for the big stench of weed in the communal hallway that now seems to emanate from it :puke:). 

Above me, thankfully are now good.  I once had this awful man who would stand on his balcony at all hours shouting down his phone just above my bedroom window.  He would also smoke like a chimney all day and leave his filthy butts all over my terrace.  I would open my door to the terrace and get covered in ash as he would literally be there hanging out of his balcony dropping his ash and butts down below right above where my door opened.  I was outside tidying up a few plants one evening (and sweeping up his horrible mess), and there he was just standing there staring down at me dropping his ash down below.   I politely asked him not to do it - he didn't say a thing, just smirked at me and carried on.  In the end I raised a formal complaint with the management company who said they had been in contact with him.  He was still doing it for a good month after - I was tempted to fill his post box with the mess.  He left soon after that though. 

Â