Brennan Johnson

alreadyexists

24 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You say not someone we need, but I’m not convinced that Emery rates Bailey or Traore. If we sold those (and we could be making moves on this), then we would need other players to come in. 

Traore is someone we'll be looking to sell, definitely, but we may not pointedly replace him if he goes (i.e. Philogene might have set his stall out). 

Bailey I don't know. I don't think we're actively trying to move him on, but we'd listen to an offer. He's not blown us away and he's struggled, but he's shown a bit while he's been here even when bouncing between injuries and low confidence. He's probably still got a place in the squad imo.

Edited by Chindie

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

my research tells me Forest scored 38 goals last season and Johnson scored 8 of those thats c 21%

not that it matters.

'Contributed to' includes assists. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

my research tells me Forest scored 38 goals last season and Johnson scored 8 of those thats c 21%

not that it matters.

Goal contributions. I get your point about not spending 50m on him. I personally don’t care what we spend on players, it’s not my money.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Maybe but far riskier and we’ve supposedly already been turned down by Williams, Asensio and F.Torres so it seems we’ve tried the Spanish and they haven’t been interested and Jackson has gone to Chelsea and that Chukwese (spelling!) has gone to Milan…maybe there is a gem elsewhere.

Only if you believe every rumour 

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Only if you believe every rumour 

Fair, but many different sources suggests at least for a couple of these rejected us.  Whether you believe them is then personal choice.  Not everything is the truth but not everything is a lie, we’ll likely never know the truth.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chindie said:

Traore is someone we'll be looking to sell, definitely, but we may not pointedly replace him if he goes (i.e. Philogene might have set his stall out). 

Bailey I don't know. I don't think we're actively trying to move him on, but we'd listen to an offer. He's not blown us away and he's struggled, but he's shown a bit while he's been here even when bouncing between injuries and low confidence. He's probably still got a place in the squad imo.

Traore won't be fit till mid August so that'll be a late window switch to Turkey and we'll probably get like £5m for him as he's only a year left on his contract. 

Bailey won't be going. We don't have depth in wingers. Philogene has zero PL experience or zero top league experience. 

Adding Johnson to the squad after Traore, Daivs, Sanson, Wesley, Naka all leave makes sense. I feel that might really limit Archer / Durans chances though. 

Edited by CVByrne

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Traore won't be fit till mid August so that'll be a late window switch to Turkey and we'll probably get like £5m for him as he's only a year left on his contract. 

Bailey won't be going. We don't have depth in wingers. Philogene has zero PL experience or zero top league experience. 

Adding Johnson to the squad after Traore, Daivs, Sanson, Wesley, Naka all leave makes sense. I feel that might really limit Archer / Durans chances though. 

Need experience to get the job to get experience.

A deadly cycle.

3 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Need experience to get the job to get experience.

A deadly cycle.

Yes which is why I'd say Bailey stays and Philogene stays and gets time to impress. Then Bailey moves on and next season we've Philogene ready

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Goal contributions. I get your point about not spending 50m on him. I personally don’t care what we spend on players, it’s not my money.

Oh Ok, I only compared goal scoring....but Cam had quite a few assists too, in his 40 games in the Championship

Its not my money, either, but its not a bottomless pit, and FFP looms like a stalker.....and its crucial we use the money to the best effect.

I am not pandering to Ollie, but I think he is comfortable being the main striker, and anyone else, ( big name) could get in his way, and crowd his ego.

I think Ollie will be comfortable with Archer and Duran, and Diaby at times, as they won't steal his crown( so to speak) They will just progess, gradually.

My understanding anyway is....UE is going with the 2 young boys to support Ollie.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Oh Ok, I only compared goal scoring....but Cam had quite a few assists too, in his 40 games in the Championship

Its not my money, either, but its not a bottomless pit, and FFP looms like a stalker.....and its crucial we use the money to the best effect.

I am not pandering to Ollie, but I think he is comfortable being the main striker, and anyone else, ( big name) could get in his way, and crowd his ego.

I think Ollie will be comfortable with Archer and Duran, and Diaby at times, as they won't steal his crown( so to speak) They will just progess, gradually.

My understanding anyway is....UE is going with the 2 young boys to support Ollie.

That’s very brave from Unai Emery (if that’s what he is going to do)

I admire his conviction and if he believes they are up to the task so do I

That must give those players a massive boost in confidence 

The guy is a genius and we’re so lucky to have him

In Emery We Trust

UTV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Johnson’s not an out and out striker TRO. More of a wide forward. He can just play there if needed. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Johnson’s not an out and out striker TRO. More of a wide forward. He can just play there if needed. 

Not sure, I know what one is anymore, (but he is listed in Wiki as a forward).....They said that Ollie, was a winger,  until it was suggested he should to play down the middle.

With all the permutations that the game brings today, and the changing of positions, its hard to pidgeon hole any player, in the way we did in the past.

If Johnson is a wide player....us with Diaby, Bailey, Philogene, Young and possibly Traore....why do we need another one?

Someone has to be responsible for scoring, just as someone has to be responsible for stopping the goals or creating them.....maybe none of our forwards are out and out strikers, in the Andy Gray or Peter Withe mould.....It took Pep ( the benchmark) a while to get one.

Its all about opinions....but I would not part with a Kings ransom, for him, when we have a young player, who has scored impressively in the Championship....better than Jonathan Kodja's hit rate, I might add.

We all know, its a big step up, but players do it.....but they have to be given the opportunity to fail and he hasn't had that yet....He could be a revelation, its a gamble all developing players are.

If UE says he is going with Archer and Duran, to provide support for our main striker, who is ever present.....thats good enough for me, and I endorse that.

You might think, lets spend, its not my money......but spending huge sums of money has consequences, good or bad....and I value the stability of our club....We may have wealthy owners, but they are business men for a reason.....We have to be Savvy.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

If Johnson is a wide player....us with Diaby, Bailey, Philogene, Young and possibly Traore....why do we need another one?

Forget Johnson for one second but 2 kids and Traore is hard to rely on.  Bailey was more of a miss than a hit so far so really we are relying on Diaby.  I certainly think we need another forward/wide player.  We have a lot riding on Diaby, we have to hope the true player comes out with Bailey as our main options.  JPB and Young at best (if they don’t go out on loan) will only be bit players this season.  Still expect Traore to move on.  We need that extra body coming in.

16 hours ago, nick76 said:

Forget Johnson for one second but 2 kids and Traore is hard to rely on.  Bailey was more of a miss than a hit so far so really we are relying on Diaby.  I certainly think we need another forward/wide player.  We have a lot riding on Diaby, we have to hope the true player comes out with Bailey as our main options.  JPB and Young at best (if they don’t go out on loan) will only be bit players this season.  Still expect Traore to move on.  We need that extra body coming in.

To do what Nick?.....what will be the main objective of this player?

Cameron Archer, is not really a kid anymore, he has been an academy Graduate, who has been out on Loan and completed 40 appeareances in the lower league, (to give him experience and physical fine tuning).....A league where more experienced players than him, would be pleased with his hit rate there.....from what I hear Preston and Borough fans love him....He has even scored regularly at youth international level......every test put in front of him,he has passed.

I can't say with any certainty he will score in the prem...but I can't say he won't either.......These boys have to be given a chance, else the academy is just cosmetic and not purposeful

If the manager, goes with this.....I back him.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Not sure, I know what one is anymore, (but he is listed in Wiki as a forward).....They said that Ollie, was a winger,  until it was suggested he should to play down the middle.

With all the permutations that the game brings today, and the changing of positions, its hard to pidgeon hole any player, in the way we did in the past.

Someone has to be responsible for scoring, just as someone has to be responsible for stopping the goals or creating them.....maybe none of our forwards are out and out strikers, in the Andy Gray or Peter Withe mould.....It took Pep ( the benchmark) a while to get one.

Its all about opinions....but I would not part with a Kings ransom, for him, when we have a young player, who has scored impressively in the Championship....better than Jonathan Kodja's hit rate, I might add.

We all know, its a big step up, but players do it.....but they have to be given the opportunity to fail and he hasn't had that yet....He could be a revelation, its a gamble all developing players are.

If UE says he is going with Archer and Duran, to provide support for our main striker, who is ever present.....thats good enough for me, and I endorse that.

You might think, lets spend, its not my money......but spending huge sums of money has consequences, good or bad....and I value the stability of our club....We may have wealthy owners, but they are business men for a reason.....We have to be Savvy.

I keep hearing things like this but if the club feel they could spend 50m on another player I trust it’s within the clubs means to be able to do this and not going to risk the stability of the club.  If it isn’t within the clubs means and they spent that kind of money anyway then we’re screwed in the long run regardless. 

My view of the last couple of seasons is that our lack of dominant pace across the pitch has held us back in terms of 'goals scored'. Bailey has pace but has been afraid to use his flat out speed due to hamstring injury fears. Olly and JJ are sharp but not lightening, but thankfully the addition of Diaby has added some real extra pace. That's why I think Johnson would be a very sensible addition even if he cost 40 mil, because we need another speedy alternative goal scorer.

We hopefully will play a much greater number of games this season and if Diaby needs resting or gets injured, if Bailey has a more than possible recurring injury problem then we need another genuinely quick forward. We have to have pace on the field of play at all times or we may come up short again in the 'number of goals scored column' at the end of hopefully 50 plus games.

Diaby deal has probably ended any chance of this deal happening I think. Don’t see Villa spending £40 million + (since Brentford had 35 million rejected) on anybody now. Will probably stay at Forest for another year as don’t see anybody paying what Forest want. 

• Like 1

Â