Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Don’t worry guys, over time you’ll all get institutionalised to the badge, you grow use to it, then before you know it, you’ll love it

There’s no way this monstrosity lasts more than a couple of years in the age of social media. They’ll be ridiculed and mocked to death.

• Haha 1

Think I’m possibly just too accepting because the lion is the right way around. This season I felt like I was watching an illegal stream or playing a computer game without the IP rights every time I saw the badge.

• Like 1

Just now, BG_Villa_Fan said:

There’s no way this monstrosity lasts more than a couple of years in the age of social media. They’ll be ridiculed and mocked to death.

It be forgot about by next month, no one has that attention span on social media 

• Like 4

Just now, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Nah, I don't like it, but realistically, nobody outside of the Villa bubble gives a shit one way or another

Remember how much of a farce it was when we announced we'd have 2 badges for the season? Nobody cares about this stuff for another club except their own, unless it's a real, real disaster piece like the Leeds badge, which this isn't.

It's so similar I bet a whole load of neutrals will hardly notice we have a new badge.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

Nah, I don't like it, but realistically, nobody outside of the Villa bubble gives a shit one way or another

Remember how much of a farce it was when we announced we'd have 2 badges for the season? Nobody cares about this stuff for another club except their own, unless it's a real, real disaster piece like the Leeds badge, which this isn't.

It's so similar I bet a whole load of neutrals will hardly notice we have a new badge.

Pretty much this. 
I’ve asked (Non villa) friends and other design friends about this

its gets the same answer “it’s fine”

• Like 1

The crest isn't good. Far from it.

What it is though is another example of Fan concerns not just being overlooked, but being completely ignored. I'm sure if it lasts a decade the manner in which certain club employees (who will have long left the clubs payroll before then) forced this crest upon supporters will be forgotten but, right now, it is hard to ignore.

I'm not a fan of design by survey but should one be taken, it's results should be adhered to.

Why not run a competition for anybody (and amongst them some very talented professionals) to design a new crest, then put forward the 20 best designs chosen by club officials for supporters to vote upon. The club doesn't get a design they don't like and neither do the fans.

But, nevermind, here we are. Here's to 10 more years of having to have a badge grow on us. A champions league win or a league title will certainly make that process easier! 

Up the Villa!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

I think you'll find the vast majority don't care about things like the lack of contrast apparently making scaling difficult or drop shadows being outdated.

They've replaced AVFC with our wonderful club name and honoured previous fan consultation favourites such as including 1874 and the star. Those will be enough to carry it through as at least fine enough.

It’s not as big a joke as the Leeds debacle.

But as much of a piss take Leeds received for that badge, at least they tried something different. It was a swing and a miss.

We on the other hand, had a shit badge, which was made slightly less shit, then went through a fairly thorough consultation, a badge was chosen that wasn’t without its faults (I didn’t love it), only for it to ditched straight away to go back to a version of the earlier shit badge we had, arguably worse in places.

The end result(s) haven’t been as laughable as the Leeds salute badge. But at least as far as we’re concerned, I think the process to get where we are has been more laughable. All these years and debate to essentially end up back where we were.

But again, I think it’ll be something different in a couple of years anyway.

• Like 1

I think it looks pretty good, it has a certain 3D look that makes it pop out, the drop shadow is really challenging and innotative, I've seen this many times before, something considered not oool brought back and made to be cool. like when Quentin Tarantino brings back forgotten actors for his movies and makes them stars again. or when of these expensive clothes design companies releases something like crocs and makes them fashionable. Also in that picture you're not seeing what Walter Benjamin would term it's aura, that is it's Its presence in time and space, its unique existence at the place where it happens to be, in person it will look different

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Caravella82 said:

the 20 best designs chosen by club officials for supporters to vote upon. The club doesn't get a design they don't like and neither do the fans.

This should of been step 1 in the whole process..

design> club consultation> fan consultation> tweaked and expand the brand on a few> club decisions > fan decision> “go in to print” 

• Like 3

I showed my wife the badge. She couldn’t give a shit about football but is aware of Villa through me. She said “isn’t it the same?” And I said know we’ve had that round one youd have seen on the kits and she said “oh you’re going back to the old one” and I explained the differences but I think she stopped listening. But she did confirm her favourite is the one prior to the round one.

But that’s actually the vast majority of non Villa fan views. Everyone I know thinks that round one is stupid and likes our old one. I know that it doesn’t matter what other fans think but it is quite interesting I think. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I showed my wife the badge. She couldn’t give a shit about football but is aware of Villa through me. She said “isn’t it the same?” And I said know we’ve had that round one youd have seen on the kits and she said “oh you’re going back to the old one” and I explained the differences but I think she stopped listening. But she did confirm her favourite is the one prior to the round one.

But that’s actually the vast majority of non Villa fan views. Everyone I know thinks that round one is stupid and likes our old one. I know that it doesn’t matter what other fans think but it is quite interesting I think. 

I found it really boring.

• Haha 1

It's not great (but then the constraints were pretty tight) but it is much more easily identifiable as Villa than the awfully dull, run of the mill, looky-likey badge we came up with last time.  I think the lion will look fantastic when used on its own, I like the new shape of the crest and I like having Aston Villa rather than AVFC.  Not a fan of the star.  Think we can do better with the constrast of the lion and the background.

I'm keen to see it within the context of the rest of our branding.

I like the new badge. It’s cool. It will look great in our new Adidas kits, with our champions league badge on the arm. Happy days Villans. UTV.

I have to say, I like the look of the image that was released earlier. It is unique in terms of shape, colour, and position of the club name, and you can tell at first glance that it is 100% an Aston Villa badge, which wasn’t the case on the previous 2 incarnations. Plus if that is the claret used on the shirts, it pops even more.

if you think of all of the historic big clubs in the world, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, United, Inter, Ajax etc… they all have badges that are uniquely theirs. You can look at a United badge within any words, and instantly know who it is. Real and Inter don’t even have any words on theirs, and it is still plainly obvious.

I think this is what the club are shooting for with the new branding. No one that I can think of has a shield this shape, with the club name at the bottom, in a similar colour scheme. Even if you take the name off, it is 100% unashamedly Aston Villa and nobody’s else’s, and I’m proud of that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Jenko#4 said:

No one that I can think of has a shield this shape, with the club name at the bottom, in a similar colour scheme.

There's a reason for this: it doesn't look good.

We've gone unique alright. Uniquely shit.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

I was really gutted when I saw the the two options we had to choose between last time. Didn't like the drunk lion facing the wrong way mainly.

The new badge is slightly better than that in my opinion, and better than the Lerner badge. It's not brilliant, but it's fine. Best design I've seen from anyone was the diamond made out of A and V that was in this thread I think. Was really modern and inventive I thought, but just seemed very Villa at the same time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

This is the consensus I got from people I asked. Football fans, non fans, designers, that are football fans/non fans. 

and I always get a expressionless “it’s fine” 

no one has gone…… “look at that drop shadow, it’s cringe!!!”

Or even  “the Aston Villa is off centre”

Just a “it’s fine” even my former (advertising) creative director  said that and boy he was a critical ****. Always right though 

so… “it’s fine”

Â