Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A random thought, do we reckon that, some of the fan designs are very good, and the big agencies or designers go out of their way, to make things totally different from fan designs, just to not be seen as " copying " ?

Which ends up in us having wonky shit? 😂

I think that's part of problem, yes.

• Like 1

I never mind the blue background because it sits on a claret shirt - those are our colours, and claret on claret never makes logical sense to me. But some of these with a claret background do look lovely.

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A random thought, do we reckon that, some of the fan designs are very good, and the big agencies or designers go out of their way, to make things totally different from fan designs, just to not be seen as " copying " ?

Which ends up in us having wonky shit? 😂

Obviously everybody is on social media so people see these.

Fan designs work to whatever restrictions they want, for example a fan design can drop the star or 1874 and people will say it looks clean, but the survey dictates to the actual designers that they have to be there, if there were no restrictions I'm certain we'd be looking at an entirely different and likely much better design.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

8.png

Mate you've absolutely smashed it, this is brilliant stuff. Even with the slightly wrong shade of blue. You've captured how important a full brand identity is, especially with regards to colour. The designs here pop amazingly well. Claret / blue / gold as a cracking colour combination and this shows how it could be used to really good effect.

• Like 2

I’ve said it before but why does our badge have to have only one or two elements to it, why can’t it have more. Other badges have lots of details to them, Liverpool’s for example. It doesn’t stop them utilising elements individually.

I get that people like the simple reworked shield designs but they’re just a West Ham shield with a lion in there IMHO.

I think the badge redesign is a complete shit show and a real missed opportunity for the club to create something iconic that reflects Aston Villa in the best possible way. 

I think other clubs like West Ham should be more worried about imitating us rather than the other way around… we should own our own design and elements… such as the colours… without worrying if it’s similar to another’s… plus we have the lion rather than a pair of hammers or whatever the other clubs have…

We are the original and best claret & blue team.

• Like 1

My anger is building over the money saving argument. Save money elsewhere and get the branding right. 

Clubs with far smaller resources than us have managed very successful rebrands. Look at Bristol City, Brentford and Crystal Palace. 

8 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Fan designs work to whatever restrictions they want, for example a fan design can drop the star or 1874 and people will say it looks clean, but the survey dictates to the actual designers that they have to be there, if there were no restrictions I'm certain we'd be looking at an entirely different and likely much better design.

Yeah that’s fine.

Although I don’t remember the feedback saying the club name had to go at the bottom of the badge. Or to keep the less good version of the lion. Both of these are two of the bigger issues with this new badge. 

What were the restrictions we gave them for the AV150 badge/emblem thing? As far as I’m aware, we didn’t give them ANY specific requirements, it’s still come out looking terrible.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah that’s fine.

Although I don’t remember the feedback saying the club name had to go at the bottom of the badge. Or to keep the less good version of the lion. Both of these are two of the bigger issues with this new badge. 

What were the restrictions we gave them for the AV150 badge/emblem thing? As far as I’m aware, we didn’t give them ANY specific requirements, it’s still come out looking terrible.

Also the main restriction was to change the colours from yellow on baby blue and they didn't do that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Also the main restriction was to change the colours from yellow on baby blue and they didn't do that.

Yeah that probably is the main issue, but I couldn’t remember what the results of the survey said so I didn’t want to outright say they took that decision upon themselves.

11 hours ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

8.png

The de-crested version looks great to be fair! Removing the background and losing the shitty shield is all it needs

• Like 2

I really hope the club acknowledge that this is a badge refresh rather than a new badge. And give the reasons why we have ditched a new badge in favour of a badge refresh. That’s the least fans deserve.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah that’s fine.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

I believe what we are being given, judging by the crest we've seen, is a brand evolution rather than a total rebrand.

If this is the case then there are definitely more restrictions than just the ones outlined in the results of the survey, and you have to start with the Lerner crest and go from there.

I'd imagine they couldn't change the lion, the direction it is facing, or the star as that would kill too much branding already out there, they also likely couldn't change the colours as it would be too big a change and take the new design too far away from the Lerner crest for them to feel part of the same brand. The reason they need to feel part of the same brand is so you can phase out the Lerner badge gradually over time rather than outright change everything in one go. There'd have to be a shield shape at least similar to the original. Then add the questionnaire restrictions and you can see how the designers have been very restricted in what they can do.

The text being top or bottom is a bit overblown for me, both can work and both can look unbalanced, it's the '1874' that's causing most of the balance issues in my opinion.

The AV150, again in my opinion, is a good idea with good colours, it's just poorly executed, it should be more obvious what it is supposed to say. Also, launching that marque on its own, on Twitter, on the day the fans find out about the North Stand project being put on hold really made a bad first impression and those are difficult to shake.

I'm not defending the crest we've seen, I'm not happy about it, even with the restrictions in place it could be better, I'm just trying to explain why the fan-made designs (my own included) haven't been working to the same restrictions and so it's much easier to make something more desirable.

Â