Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

14 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Looks a bit shit. If this is the kind of thing heck is looking to do for any future branding then it probably isn't going to turn out much better then the current style. It's so plain, unimaginative and amateurish. They could have at least had a silhouette backdrop of the stadium/gaslight as a watermark... Just something to bring it to life and give it some identity. Can't wait to see the new badge 🙄

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

To kind of expand on my point, the 76ers rebarnd included a load of new stuff like kits and fonts and logos etc.

Their main logo rebrand was this

sixers.jpg

which is very american but looks fine to me.

They also released this as some sort of secondary logo

nba_76ers_ben_800x450.jpg

Now when all this was released at once, I imagine the fans would have looked at that figure of Ben Franklin and taken it for what it was, a very small part of a larger rebrand and not the primary logo or goal of what theyy were doing. I don't know enough about basketball but it's probably like the devil on the Man Utd 3rd kit. Looks a bit stupid in isolation but it makes sense in the grand scheme of things.

I think what Heck might have done is basically the equivalent of tweeting out JUST that figure of Ben Franklin. If that had happened with the 76ers I imagine their fans would have had the same reaction as us. What the **** is that? They're expecting a rebrand and a main logo and they only get that.

My guess would be when we see the fully release full package of our rebrand, the AV150 thing will only be a very very small part of it. But because it's the only thing we've got, we've over analysed it and reacted emotionally

I get what you're saying, but the basics design elements are consistent across those images. The copy, the colours, the font... they may be different elements of an overall brand but the 76ers bit is always the same font, the same colour scheme, etc.

If the Heck tweet is a "part" of a larger brand portfolio it would surely still have primarily the same font and colours etc? Otherwise it wouldn't be recognisably part of the same brand.

35 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The other possibility is that he's using the soft release as a tool to get fan response to steer their development programme?

After he unilaterally cancelled the last badge fans voted for? I suspect not.

• Like 1

Asked the wife what she the logo stood for or said...

Obviously well aware I'm a villa fan but tried to bring it up totally out of context having not mentioned football/villa for a couple of days...

She said, after a good 15 seconds looking, is it Aston Villa 50?

Not miles off but still an indicator that unless you know what it says, you aren't working it out. 

Edited by MrBlack

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Asked the wife what she the logo stood for or said...

Obviously well aware I'm a villa fan but tried to bring it up totally out of context having not mentioned football/villa for a couple of days...

She said, after a good 15 seconds looking, is it Aston Villa 50?

Not miles off but still an indicator that unless you know what it says, you aren't working it out. 

At least she didn’t say “the bit on the left looks like an erect penis, if I could remember what one looked like…” 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

45 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

At least she didn’t say “the bit on the left looks like an erect penis, if I could remember what one looked like…” 🤣

I'm taking it as a compliment that she didn't think it was an erect penis.

But still, cheeky git 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I get what you're saying, but the basics design elements are consistent across those images. The copy, the colours, the font... they may be different elements of an overall brand but the 76ers bit is always the same font, the same colour scheme, etc.

If the Heck tweet is a "part" of a larger brand portfolio it would surely still have primarily the same font and colours etc? Otherwise it wouldn't be recognisably part of the same brand.

I agree. I'm saying I'm not sure that that font would look so bad used in other ways. I think in this logo it doesn't work, but it might in others. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying seeing one small part of it might not do it justice.

The colours are lovely to be honest

• Like 1

Turns up, get rids of Purslow's creation pretty well on day one, then serves up that. I mean, if you're going to sell yourself as a marketing genius, you've got to be doing better than that, surely?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree. I'm saying I'm not sure that that font would look so bad used in other ways. I think in this logo it doesn't work, but it might in others. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying seeing one small part of it might not do it justice.

The colours are lovely to be honest

Yeah, I actually almost don't hate it. The 150 thing is obviously not going to be present on other imagery, and whether the AV is extended to Aston Villa anywhere remains to be seen.

I like the idea of the stylised font, but it just isn't legible enough. If it was a slightly more readable, simplified version I would be more on board with the concept I think.

8 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, I actually almost don't hate it. The 150 thing is obviously not going to be present on other imagery, and whether the AV is extended to Aston Villa anywhere remains to be seen.

I like the idea of the stylised font, but it just isn't legible enough. If it was a slightly more readable, simplified version I would be more on board with the concept I think.

Yeah exactly this. The problem is it's not legible. Other than that there's not a whole lot wrong with it.

But again, to be clear, I don't mean as a club badge. If that was the actual badge it would be absolutely shit

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah exactly this. The problem is it's not legible. Other than that there's not a whole lot wrong with it.

I think the colours are prefect and that's encouraging, but I think not being legible is probably a whole lot, especially since this is likely to be on our kits somewhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the colours are prefect and that's encouraging, but I think not being legible is probably a whole lot, especially since this is likely to be on our kits somewhere.

Yeah I agree. Not being legible is a pretty big negative.

I think if you see "Aston Villa" spelled out in that font it would be legible. But that combination of AV 150 doesn't work. And the numbers being joined up is especially weird

• Like 1

Like a couple of others I tried asking a neutral what it said and they came up with AV 50 but only after staring at it for a couple of minutes and realising it was C&B and I'm a Villa fan.

Tried it on someone else in monochrome and got combinations of A50U and A500. 

MSG5DRw.png

We probably over analyse this stuff and won't care at all come match day even if this thing makes it onto a shirt, but it is a shocking piece of design really.

• Like 4

Make the A more like an A, the V more like a V and it becomes clearer. The 1 into the 5 needs tidying up but limited with what I can do on my phone.

Do they not just run it past people first 🤷‍♂️? And assuming they do, do they not get comments like they did from us?

image5.png

Â