Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

Hard not to see this happening to be honest considering they had the Vegas Villains as a real interest. 

My slight worry is that Villans would probably go down very well in the American market (as long as we can avoid them spelling it Villains) and so there'd probably be a huge anti-American backlash against it if Heck proposed it (more so than if the idea was introduced by a local lad who'd been a Villa fan for life).  I'd hope that if the Villans option is used elsewhere then there are ways of tying the overall "group brand" together in other ways - like the V font being based on our old floodlights, etc.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I completely agree.

One interesting one on the use of AV in any lettering or form is that the design and marketing companies hate it - in foreign markets it's Audio Visual or Audio Visual Football Club, it confuses people who don't know us and they very much wanted to get away from it. With this management team very much driven by the marketing numbers and the desire to maximise incomes for the brand, I'd be astonished if we see the initials back again any time soon.

Yeah I don't like the AVFC on the last badge.  Much prefer Aston Villa or even just Villa.  Again I should probably have said the font for the As and V matching the old floodlight config rather than grouping AV together. 

Edited by allani

@allani I'm not sure if you saw the link to the 76'ers campaign where Heck worked with a company called Mother, but I think you can definitely see evidence of lots and lots of elements and different things to pull apart and use in different ways. I think it might make you happy.

Link is here:

https://www.motherdesign.com/work/76ers/

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

@allani I'm not sure if you saw the link to the 76'ers campaign where Heck worked with a company called Mother, but I think you can definitely see evidence of lots and lots of elements and different things to pull apart and use in different ways. I think it might make you happy.

Link is here:

https://www.motherdesign.com/work/76ers/

I also watched the video of him talking about the branding that was doing the rounds when he was hired.  This is exactly the thing that got me excited (and I'm afraid also made me feel quite cold to what we've done recently) - the 76ers branding was so strong that you don't even need 76ers to be visible to know that something is connected with the same brand.  I think it's really powerful and I hope that he can do something similar at Villa.  Happy to be disappointed with a badge or a kit - if I can see that it is immediately "on point" with a strong overall brand that is unmistakably Villa.

4 minutes ago, allani said:

I also watched the video of him talking about the branding that was doing the rounds when he was hired.  This is exactly the thing that got me excited (and I'm afraid also made me feel quite cold to what we've done recently) - the 76ers branding was so strong that you don't even need 76ers to be visible to know that something is connected with the same brand.  I think it's really powerful and I hope that he can do something similar at Villa.  Happy to be disappointed with a badge or a kit - if I can see that it is immediately "on point" with a strong overall brand that is unmistakably Villa.

I’ll be really interested to see what direction they go to make the branding unmistakable. 

I travel a fair bit and the pubs and bars I walk into that are not in England will sometimes put on the West Ham game for me until they see the badge. 

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

I’ll be really interested to see what direction they go to make the branding unmistakable. 

I travel a fair bit and the pubs and bars I walk into that are not in England will sometimes put on the West Ham game for me until they see the badge. 

We've had some pretty cool kits down the years that are VERY different to West Ham or Burnley - whilst still maintaining claret, blue and white as the primary colour pallet.  I know there will be plenty of people who might ask why we should change rather than the other two teams - but there is far too much confusion at present.  Particularly when you compare that with the number of teams wearing let's say red shirts in the PL and yet they are so much easier to tell apart - you can't confuse Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool for example - even Forest.  So it should be possible to have three teams in claret and blue and for it to be immediately obvious which is which.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

There is not much colour contrast in the new badge and with the full “Aston Villa” spelled out it is difficult to make anything out when viewing the thumbnail pic on a mobile. 

I was reading a list of clubs stats on my mobile with the clubs listed by badge and it took me ages to realise Aston Villa was one of the clubs being shown. And I’m a fan!

The new badge is not instantly recognisable as Aston Villa in that type of media format. 

7 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

The round badges were from 1973-1990. 27 years of the 150 years. That equates to 5.5% of our history. I'm guessing the majority of the 77% in favour that voted for the round badge grew up with a round badge. It's nostalgic for the late 30s-60 year olds. 

Being born in 1991, I've got no attachment to a round badge and personally hate it for the exact same reason,  I've grown up with it being a shield. 

We should scrap the shape all together, that'll make everyone happy.

Fully agree but it was just 17 years 😉

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Not to answer for someone else, but I'm guessing the deliberate sabotage is the decision not to implement the new badge; not to use it anywhere but on the shirt, not to use any of its variants and not to support it through any of our media channels - it's in 10% of the places that it should be.

Is there a preference that the new badge had been rolled out everywhere, at significant cost, and then changed again later since he believes it's not up to scratch? 

The guy is trying to do his job as best he can and sometimes it feels impossible to please fans.

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

And the big problem here is that the "someone else" that you're hinting at is Christian Purslow, but the "someone else" who made the decision is Villa fans - albeit most likely steered that way by a mixture of restriction of choice and the appliance of nostalgia. 

100%

Villa fans were restricted to a choice of two. It sounds like we may get to choose again and we will again be restricted.

1 hour ago, a-k said:

Not sure where to put this...some uproar in the Canadian Parliament about an honoree who turned out to have fought for a Nazi party...reading up on it, the Division's crest looks eerily familiar...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS_(1st_Galician)

150px-Dyvizia_Galychyna-rukav.svg.png

22 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Lions are fairly common on shields

Emblem of Jerusalem - Lion of Judah - Wikipedia

Yeah, Lions, rampant or otherwise have been used in Heraldry for a loooooonnng time...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_(heraldry)#:~:text=As a general rule%2C English,the case of the royal

So the hot take here is that we have to ditch the Rampant Lion and we can't have a round badge like an overwhelming majority of fans wanted. 

And who the **** are all these people watch black and white telly? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Small beans, but I'm a bit narked that the new Fifa/EA Sports game still uses our old crest. 

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

The official premier league website still uses our old badge. 

Maybe they've decided to go all nostalgic on us.

Â