Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

4 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Okay, I've gone back to my diamond design and refined it a little more.

I've added the new lion, and made a few alterations to it to make it more 'rampant', and set it facing in the traditional direction. I don't mind the whole facing forward concept stuff, but to me personally, the lion facing left is just more 'Villa'.

I've also removed the star, for the reasons @NurembergVillan has mentioned frequently, and eloquently.

I've streamlined further by removing '1874', as it wasn't really needed and would have been unreadable at smaller sizes anyway.

Anyway, on with the show...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One more, just to show that this design at least is different from the rest of the crests in the Premier League

spacer.png

Feel free to tell me I've got the colours wrong, you only like round badges, it doesn't say 'Aston Villa' in full, not adding a star somehow means I've degraded our entire history, it looks like a stonemasons symbol and it's crap.

I'll not be listening anyway as I really need to get some work done!

Seems like we had the same idea about the AV forming the shape of the badge. Already posted earlier in the thread but this was mine.

1874.thumb.png.d3de26ef3547368d3ee1c3d7f3d4a7ab.png

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Seems like we had the same idea about the AV forming the shape of the badge. Already posted earlier in the thread but this was mine.

1874.thumb.png.d3de26ef3547368d3ee1c3d7f3d4a7ab.png

Awesome! Good work! Not overly surprised others have had the same idea, I've seen a few others on here that are similar as well. 

I first posted mine here (possibly a different thread) and on twitter in June 2022 

It's evolved a bit since then!

• Like 1

Whatever we end up with, I'm glad that the 'new' badge is going to be sacked off as quick as it arrived.

It looks absolutely awful in monochrome and totally lost and quite frankly a mess.

If ever a picture shows why we need something better and something more simple that stands out then surely this is it.

I'm thankful that the club or whoever the Heck as decided it's not good enough and that we are going to get a new one.

Happy days for the silent majority

spacer.png

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Whatever we end up with, I'm glad that the 'new' badge is going to be sacked off as quick as it arrived.

It looks absolutely awful in monochrome and totally lost and quite frankly a mess.

If ever a picture shows why we need something better and something more simple that stands out then surely this is it.

I'm thankful that the club or whoever the Heck as decided it's not good enough and that we are going to get a new one.

spacer.png

Agreed. I'm really surprised that the monochrome badge has the circle - I always assumed it would be the standalone lion. It just looks shoddy with that big thick white ring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

spacer.png

I actually agree. It is terrible. I actually prefer the old badge.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Okay, I've gone back to my diamond design and refined it a little more.

I've added the new lion, and made a few alterations to it to make it more 'rampant', and set it facing in the traditional direction. I don't mind the whole facing forward concept stuff, but to me personally, the lion facing left is just more 'Villa'.

I've also removed the star, for the reasons @NurembergVillan has mentioned frequently, and eloquently.

I've streamlined further by removing '1874', as it wasn't really needed and would have been unreadable at smaller sizes anyway.

Anyway, on with the show...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One more, just to show that this design at least is different from the rest of the crests in the Premier League

spacer.png

Feel free to tell me I've got the colours wrong, you only like round badges, it doesn't say 'Aston Villa' in full, not adding a star somehow means I've degraded our entire history, it looks like a stonemasons symbol and it's crap.

I'll not be listening anyway as I really need to get some work done!

Absolutely loves these. Even though the colours are wrong, the lion's facing the right (now wrong) way, there is or isn't a star and it doesn't say 'Aston Villa' or 1874 😋

• Haha 1

I really like these 'diamond' shaped badge ideas.

It makes so much sense with the A V shapes, and there's not many around that I can think of (Fiorentina, Wolfsburg, Borussia M'gladback?), so helps to stand out from the crowd.

It also evokes Victorian tiled patterns, and I think there's some similar shapes in the Holte End stained glass, and the old mural facing the pitch at the top of the old Trinity Road stand.

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/photos/item/PLA01/08/0004

I'd be tempted to go even more bold, bulkier and abstract with the concept, take the cross bar of the 'A', and perhaps make the angles 90 degrees (a perfect square rotated 45 degrees), since that would better suit expansion into wider checkerboard patterns as part of a wider visual identity for the Club). 

You would probably need to redesign a lion that fills/responds to that space nicely.

• Like 1

I actually hate the new badge now, after initially really liking it. It looks really poor on the kits and on the training gear, as people have said the monochrome look with the circle on the training gear looks so amateur. Combine this with the poor detailing on the shirt, stuck on instead of being embroided, making it look really tacky on it's first appearance. The club have really messed up here, a season with two badges and then next season having to make a further change looks really stupid. The lack of fanfare for the new badge tells us it's almost guaranteed that we change again.

Looking back the old badge is actually really nice, it could probably do with some tweaks, even just taking away the shield would have been enough. But it gave us options, on some of the training gear in recent seasons it's been monochrome with the shirt colour behind the lion and it's looked really good.

• Like 1

The Lerner badge has very little claret, our main colour. It has 'AVFC' instead of our name, one of the most unique names in football, and is associated with a period of decline.

Maybe change the lion to claret and stick Aston Villa on for AVFC and I could live with it.

2 hours ago, 0Lamptey said:

I really like these 'diamond' shaped badge ideas.

It makes so much sense with the A V shapes, and there's not many around that I can think of (Fiorentina, Wolfsburg, Borussia M'gladback?), so helps to stand out from the crowd.

It also evokes Victorian tiled patterns, and I think there's some similar shapes in the Holte End stained glass, and the old mural facing the pitch at the top of the old Trinity Road stand.

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/photos/item/PLA01/08/0004

I'd be tempted to go even more bold, bulkier and abstract with the concept, take the cross bar of the 'A', and perhaps make the angles 90 degrees (a perfect square rotated 45 degrees), since that would better suit expansion into wider checkerboard patterns as part of a wider visual identity for the Club). 

You would probably need to redesign a lion that fills/responds to that space nicely.

I had a quick look at a more 'square' diamond, but I think you lose the 'AV' too much, I did quite a few variations messing around, see below.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Not a fan of the AV diamond thing. Top effort all round and creative, a billion times better than I could do certainly, but doesn't work for me. It's too... awkward and fussy. It doesn't quite work, and ends up neither fish nor fowl.

I appreciate the kind words.

I think part of the problem with rebranding a club of any kind is that the club means so many different things to so many different people, you're never going to make everybody happy.

I've just created something that says 'Aston Villa' to me, your interpretation of 'Aston Villa' is likely very different to mine and that is absolutely fine.

I associate the diamond shape with Villa for a few reasons, one is a memory of my Dad driving us to a night game and seeing the huge 'AVFC' floodlights from the motorway on the way in, obviously, you stick the AV together you get a diamond, also on our walk into the ground we'd often pass Aston Hall, diamond patterns on the windows there, Diamond shaped windows in the old Trinity Stand and the large diamond on its side with the crest inside atop that same stand. Also, around the same time, our kit makers were Umbro and Shaun Teale my Dads' favourite player played in that kit. So as a shape, the diamond is something I very much associate with us, you likely have completely different experiences to me and so probably don't have that same association.

I'm very fortunate that I have the ability to create these concepts, but I by no means expect everybody to agree with them, so it may not work for you, but it works for me and I'm happy enough with that.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, imavillan said:

spacer.png

Absolutely agree, it looks bloody awful and whoever created that version should be shot.

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I was a little surprised when I saw the new badge in monochrome because I'd done a monochrome version for a kit mock-up, without really giving it any thought, and it seems they went a completely different way with it.

spacer.png

Not sure if my way makes it look any better, just interesting how two different designers can see things differently.

I mean this version looks a thousand times better.  Just tells me that they don't have the right people or expertise looking at this.

If it's still in the hands of the agency, then they need to be sacked (if they've not been already) - worry is, it's been passed to some design intern at Villa, because that's what it looks like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I was a little surprised when I saw the new badge in monochrome because I'd done a monochrome version for a kit mock-up, without really giving it any thought, and it seems they went a completely different way with it.

spacer.png

Not sure if my way makes it look any better, just interesting how two different designers can see things differently.

Yours looks so much better that (1) I highly doubt literally anyone would disagree and (2) it is hilarious they didn’t opt for this version. It’s almost like they want us to hate it (and frankly it’s working if that is the case). 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

completely agree here.  This mono version is a million times better.  No clue who the design/marketing team is at AVFC coming up with this tripe.  Honestly- I think they are intentionally making it look bad to justify the change at the end of the year. (tin foil hat on)

• Like 1

One of the big things in the consultations with the designers was that the club and the team that did the designs were very keen to move away from AV or AVFC - which doesn't 'carry' into foreign markets - it's audio visual equipment FC for them - they were hugely keen to ensure that the whole name went into the badge.

They were also happy about this as it's a visually lovely name - an even number of letters in each word, the first and last being the same, makes what should be a great name to work into designs - I think that's true and I think the whole name should always be on the badge.

• Like 4

Â