Youri Tielemans

thejoker

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Question:

Who is our best central midfielder now Tielemans has signed? 

Maybe a better way to rephrase it is...

At the end of the next season, who do you think we'll look back on and say 'he was our best central midfielder last year'. 

Probably Kamara however I think tielemans and Luiz in more attacking roles all year could probably total 25 goal contributions between them given the number of games we are slated to play. 

59 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I'd like to think that by the end of next season we will be categorizing JJ as more of a forward than a midfielder. 

He can play there but think his best position is from midfield this driving runs are what set him apart from the rest of the midfield.

• Like 2

Would you rather have Tielemans or Tonali for next season given their similar statistical profiles? 

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&dom_lg=1&player_id1=56f7a928&p1yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id2=0db169ae&p2yrfrom=2022-2023

Youri produced slightly worse xA per 90 than tonali this season (0.18 to 0.19) in a significantly worse team, in an arguably harder league. He outperformed his xG and tonali underperformed. Youri completed more passes and at a higher percentage, in all 3 categories despite playing less minutes than tonali, again in a significantly worse team. Completed more progressive passes too.

Shot creating actions are similar, from live play Tonali 79 to Youris 75. Tonali is a good set piece deliverer though and that shouldn't be discounted. 

Also consider tielemans was playing significantly out of position for most of this season as he had to play far deepet than when his best seasons have come because of the lack of quality Leicester had at the base of midfield.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

He can play there but think his best position is from midfield this driving runs are what set him apart from the rest of the midfield.

It gets us up the pitch quickly too, can’t see him shifting from his current role too soon

42 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Would you rather have Tielemans or Tonali for next season given their similar statistical profiles? 

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/player_comparison.cgi?request=1&sum=0&dom_lg=1&player_id1=56f7a928&p1yrfrom=2022-2023&player_id2=0db169ae&p2yrfrom=2022-2023

Youri produced slightly worse xA per 90 than tonali this season (0.18 to 0.19) in a significantly worse team, in an arguably harder league. He outperformed his xG and tonali underperformed. Youri completed more passes and at a higher percentage, in all 3 categories despite playing less minutes than tonali, again in a significantly worse team. Completed more progressive passes too.

Shot creating actions are similar, from live play Tonali 79 to Youris 75. Tonali is a good set piece deliverer though and that shouldn't be discounted. 

Also consider tielemans was playing significantly out of position for most of this season as he had to play far deepet than when his best seasons have come because of the lack of quality Leicester had at the base of midfield.

looking at it holistically, it has to be Tielemans.

However, thats based on the fact we got a very good midfielder for no transfer fee, and that then allowing us to, and us actually spending that money elsewhere to further improve the team.

Even if Tonali is slightly better than Tielemans, the cost differential IF we spend that money elsewhere to good effect, will always tip it towards Tielemans for me.

If it were a straight 55m vs 55m shoot out, dunno, guess we will see this season in a direct comparison.

45 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

As of now Based on premier league experience and value alone Tielemans. This would be an interesting discussion and comparison between the two end of the season. 

On 03/07/2023 at 09:41, Delphinho123 said:

Question:

Who is our best central midfielder now Tielemans has signed? 

Maybe a better way to rephrase it is...

At the end of the next season, who do you think we'll look back on and say 'he was our best central midfielder last year'. 

to me it is easily Luiz. 

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

As good as Douglas is, and I love the guy, no way is it 'easily' him. Kamara is just different class.

for me it is more that I don't think we have another squad member who is able to do things that Douglas can. When Kamara was out, we were able to get through. I don't see that being the case with Dougie. But Tielemans might persuade me otherwise

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Ok, I’m bloody excited now. Look how well he strikes that ball:

If we said 12 months ago that we would be signing him on a free, this place would have been creaming themselves. Signing him on a Bosman will be one of the signings of the season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â