Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Leverkusen gets extra 1 point for qualifying to semis which Conference League doesn't get 

Not true.

Points system

Points are awarded as follows:

2 – All wins from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All wins in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All draws from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
0.5 – All draws in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Round of 16 bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group runners-up (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)
1 – Group runners-up (UECL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the round of 16 (UCL, UEL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals (UECL)

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

Not true.

Points system

Points are awarded as follows:

2 – All wins from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All wins in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All draws from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
0.5 – All draws in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Round of 16 bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group runners-up (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)
1 – Group runners-up (UECL)

What does the last two points say 

Just now, Alakagom said:

What does the last two points say 

That in Conference league the team (us) will get an extra point qualifying for the semi-finals, just like CL and Europa League. 

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Right let's see where that leaves us.

Germany - 16.786

England - 16.750

Scenario 1 - Probably realistic best case given what has happened

1. Man City v Real Madrid - Man City Win and go through

2. Bayern v Arsenal - Arsenal draw and go through on pens

3. Dortmund v Ath Madrid - Dortmund win the game but Ath Madrid go through on pens

4. Atalanta v Liverpool - Liverpool win the tie but go out 

5. West Ham v Leverkusen - draw and West Ham out

6. Lille v Villa - Draw and Villa go through 

Points Totals

image.png.86993e40128b3b0132ec1ae666fb25bd.png 

Outlook

The maximum Germany can get in this scenario is an additional 1.143 points. That is assuming Leverkusen win both Semi ties and win the final (assume they get a bonus point for winning the final).  That is 18.608 points. That would mean England would need to get 0.697 or (5.576/8) points to move ahead. The lowest maximum we would get from Man City v Arsenal assuming both ties are drawn is 5 points. So we would just need Villa to draw one leg in the Semi final to go through in that scenario. 

Scenario 2 - Probably realistic middle to worst case given what has happened

2. Bayern v Arsenal - Arsenal draw and go out on pens

3. Dortmund v Ath Madrid - Dortmund win the game and go through 

5. West Ham v Leverkusen - Leverkusen go through by winning the second leg as well

Points Totals

image.png.645dd0e033827608a141d7415b46412c.png

Outlook

This is where we are relying on us and Man City to get to the final and at least one of us to win it. Assume Leverkusen get to the final by drawing one leg, winning the other then win the final. Assume Dortmund lose both legs and go out. That would add 1 to their score (7 points divided by 7). Assume Bayern draw one leg against City i.e. 0.143 points. That leaves Germany on 19.037. Man City and Villa drawing one leg and winning the other adds another 1 point to ours (i.e 8 points divided by 8). So we are now on 18.661 with 2 English teams in the final. If Man City win and we lose then that is 3 points for England i.e. 0.375 points added - 19.036! We lose out by the barest of margins.

I don't think there is any point doing a scenario where Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen all go through and only City go through from the English sides. In that scenario it's done. 

So in the realistic middle to worse case, us and City would both have to win to secure the 5th spot? 

@Delphinho123 dream scenario 

Just now, viivvaa66 said:

That in Conference league the team (us) will get an extra point qualifying for the semi-finals, just like CL and Europa League. 

'from' the semi-finals, not 'to' the semi-finals

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Exactly this. I'm bored of frigging 'coefficients' trying to get into a contest we'll almost certainly do quite poorly in instead of concentrating on the competition we're doing well in, and could yet win. 

Let's just be happy for a night! At the rate we get to this stage of European competitions, there are probably dozens reading this who won't get to see the next time. Chin up!

Think you can be both. They are not mutually exclusive. I want us to win a trophy more than I want us to get UCL. However, we can do both and what we do has a big impact on that. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Think you can be both. They are not mutually exclusive. I want us to win a trophy more than I want us to get UCL. However, we can do both and what we do has a big impact on that. 

The evidence of the thread seems to suggest to me that people are more annoyed about Liverpool losing to Atalanta than they are happy about us beating Lille. I know there's a selection effect because it's the Champions League qualification thread. But in practice it seems a lot of people (and I get this, it was my first reaction too) are drawn to the negative, not the positive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

The evidence of the thread seems to suggest to me that people are more annoyed about Liverpool losing to Atalanta than they are happy about us beating Lille. I know there's a selection effect because it's the Champions League qualification thread. But in practice it seems a lot of people (and I get this, it was my first reaction too) are drawn to the negative, not the positive. 

Somewhat true but as you say this is a thread about Champions League and not the match thread. Also conceding late as soured the taste a little. 

11 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Right let's see where that leaves us.

Germany - 16.786

England - 16.750

Scenario 1 - Probably realistic best case given what has happened

2. Bayern v Arsenal - Arsenal draw and go through on pens

3. Dortmund v Ath Madrid - Dortmund win the game but Ath Madrid go through on pens

5. West Ham v Leverkusen - draw and West Ham out

Points Totals

image.png.86993e40128b3b0132ec1ae666fb25bd.png 

Outlook

The maximum Germany can get in this scenario is an additional 1.143 points. That is assuming Leverkusen win both Semi ties and win the final (assume they get a bonus point for winning the final).  That is 18.608 points. That would mean England would need to get 0.697 or (5.576/8) points to move ahead. The lowest maximum we would get from Man City v Arsenal assuming both ties are drawn is 5 points. So we would just need Villa to draw one leg in the Semi final to go through in that scenario. 

Scenario 2 - Probably realistic middle to worst case given what has happened

2. Bayern v Arsenal - Arsenal draw and go out on pens

3. Dortmund v Ath Madrid - Dortmund win the game and go through 

5. West Ham v Leverkusen - Leverkusen go through by winning the second leg as well

Points Totals

image.png.645dd0e033827608a141d7415b46412c.png

Outlook

This is where we are relying on us and Man City to get to the final and at least one of us to win it. Assume Leverkusen get to the final by drawing one leg, winning the other then win the final. Assume Dortmund lose both legs and go out. That would add 1 to their score (7 points divided by 7). Assume Bayern draw one leg against City i.e. 0.143 points. That leaves Germany on 19.037. Man City and Villa drawing one leg and winning the other adds another 1 point to ours (i.e 8 points divided by 8). So we are now on 18.661 with 2 English teams in the final. If Man City win and we lose then that is 3 points for England i.e. 0.375 points added - 19.036! We lose out by the barest of margins.

I don't think there is any point doing a scenario where Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen all go through and only City go through from the English sides. In that scenario it's done. 

The prospect of the Europa conference final being not only our chance to get our first trophy in 30 years but also to cement our place in the champions league is getting more and more likely 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's very likely Villa needs the added CL revenue to keeps its best team in absurd amount of years intact and together so you can't be surprised. We're both delighted and anxious 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You get a point for reaching SF of conference league.

Clubs that reach the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League, or the semi-finals or final of the UEFA Europa Conference League are awarded an extra point for each such round.

56o4g8s0oom51.jpg?auto=webp&s=6019914c0c

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, from the semi-finals, just like teams got the extra point in CL and Europa League for qualifying for the last 16.  It means the teams get the extra point if  they reach the semi-final in Conference League.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

It's very likely Villa needs the added CL revenue to keeps its best team in absurd amount of years intact and together so you can't be surprised. We're both delighted and anxious 

It may be that we end up needing to sell 2 or 3 players instead of 0 or 1. That would be sad, but life will go on. We'll still put 11 players out, managed by one of the best managers in the league. If it's to be the end for some of them, then let's go out on a high winning a trophy. What will be will be. 

• Like 1

So best case scenario now I assume is Bayern and Dortmund get knocked out next week?

Or Man. City get through and knock out Bayern themselves?

And we win the Conference league ourselves (or just get through to the SF).

The Italian teams don't really matter as they're the leaders but it would be good if one of them could stop Leverkusen winning the Europa league. Atalanta winning would be an amazing story for what they've achieved and the football they've played in the last five years and if they can win 3-0 at Anfield they won't have any fear of playing anyone else left. 

Roma are also vastly experienced squad and were penalties away from winning it last season so they'll be motivated enough so I think this might be the competition where Leverkusen fall short. West Ham could still win the home leg aswell even if they don't go through.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

So best case scenario now I assume is Bayern and Dortmund get knocked out next week?

Or Man. City get through and knock out Bayern themselves?

And we win the Conference league ourselves (or just get through to the SF).

The Italian teams don't really matter as they're the leaders but it would be good if one of them could stop Leverkusen winning the Europa league. Atalanta winning would be an amazing story for what they've achieved and the football they've played in the last five years and if they can win 3-0 at Anfield they won't have any fear of playing anyone else left. 

Roma are also vastly experienced squad and were penalties away from winning it last season so they'll be motivated enough so I think this might be the competition where Leverkusen fall short. West Ham could still win the home leg aswell even if they don't go through.

I think the best case realistic scenario is City, Arsenal, Atletico to go through. Almost a certainty at that point. 

• Like 2

I'd be very happy getting into the Europa for next season and proving that we can rep in the league and Europe at the same time. It elevates us above many of the other teams struggling to be competitive in both compo's and raises the level of the current squad. Brighton and Newcastle have both struggled massively trying to do what we are currently doing.  Yes the CL would be great but just being in Europe is fantastic in itself. 

Anyway it's not over with a lot more football left to play. WH could win the return against Leverkusen and get coefficient points, Liverpool could beat Atlanta and do the same. Then Arsenal could, if they're on their game beat Bayern and Athletico could come away from Dortmund with at least a draw. Man City may also beat Madrid. If all that happens the picture looks a lot different and brighter. We could also leave Lille next Thursday after booking a place in the Semis. There is plenty to be optimistic about.