Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s quite funny that Man Utd got absolutely **** battered by Brentford and fluked a point… then shortly after we absolutely battered Brentford and threw away a victory to get a point.

Yet we’re the ones who are going to collapse to at least 5 defeats in our next 6 and Man Utd are the ones who are going to go on a run of 6 victories to pip us to 5th

Mad how people twist things in their heads 

In fairness, challenging for CL is new to most of our fans as well as our players. Of course we'll be nervous about it.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think people should be less worried about Man United catching us and a little more worried about 5th place not getting the Champions League spot.

I'm freaking out equally about both, don't worry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Does your scenario four account for the fact that if both Arsenal and City go through, we’re guaranteed more points because they play each other in the semi finals? Sorry if you’ve covered that already!

No it doesnt so yes it would be guaranteed at that point. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Being nervous and worried about missing out is one thing. Shitting your pants and crying it’s all over after every set back is another.

Its a bit embarrassing and worst of all some people have bought into some weird idea that this is a one time only shot. If we dont qualify we will never have a chance again

Champions League is not some miracle that automatically makes us elite. Spurs, Newcastle and Leicester in recent seasons prove that, even abroad Union Berlin have been a shambles since finishing 4th

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Being nervous and worried about missing out is one thing.

Seen lots of this.

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Shitting your pants and crying it’s all over after every set back is another.

Not seen much of this?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its a bit embarrassing and worst of all some people have bought into some weird idea that this is a one time only shot. If we dont qualify we will never have a chance again

If we don't qualify this season, it will be harder next season for a variety of reasons - players wanting to leave to play CL, less funds to strengthen due to lower revenue, PSR, other big teams improving, attracting CL level players, etc. 

We are in such a good position this season to finally get there that we are just worried we will let it slip at the last moment. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ll point it out for you after the Arsenal game. 

Don't think Utd will beat Bournemouth so there may not be as much poo as 'usual'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

If we don't qualify this season, it will be harder next season for a variety of reasons - players wanting to leave to play CL, less funds to strengthen due to lower revenue, PSR, other big teams improving, attracting CL level players, etc. 

We are in such a good position this season to finally get there that we are just worried we will let it slip at the last moment. 

Players will probably be leaving anyway, its how Monchi does his business to refresh the squad

Also Newcastle qualified for the Champions League and they attracted probably one Champions League calibre player. Competition probably killed there season, its not a guarantee of continued success

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Champions League is not some miracle that automatically makes us elite. Spurs, Newcastle and Leicester in recent seasons prove that, even abroad Union Berlin have been a shambles since finishing 4th

I do think it will be significantly more difficult.

It's not a panacea to all problems, but again - we have to seize the chance in front of us.

Additionally - I think Unai is better than both Howe and Ranieri at managing multiple competitions, not to mention he has experience doing so.

For me - it is closer to Spurs making UCL and UEL than it is Newcastle (so far) and the Leicester flash in the pan.

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

People acted like this under Smith. It was utter panic that football would end if we didn't get European football quickly. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Seen lots of this.

Not seen much of this?

Have you got CVByrne on mute?

There is absolutely an element who is trying to protect themselves mentally by declaring that the worst case scenario is inevitable.

Personally, i'm betting against us, on Tottenham, and for German sides against English sides in Europe. At least my sportsbet account will be happy if it all goes wrong.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I do think it will be significantly more difficult.

It's not a panacea to all problems, but again - we have to seize the chance in front of us.

Additionally - I think Unai is better than both Howe and Ranieri at managing multiple competitions, not to mention he has experience doing so.

For me - it is closer to Spurs making UCL and UEL than it is Newcastle (so far) and the Leicester flash in the pan.

Of course but every season is as tough as the last. Spurs for example get 4th, they arent going to attract world class players all of a sudden. Summer 2022 when they last qualified they signed Richarlison, Bissouma and Romero and Spurs had a world class manager at the time

I mean let's be real.

It's Villa.

I've said it before - but I think it's still somehow going to come down to the last day either in the league or in conference league. It's not that unbelievable, we've taken the hard route both through promotion and surviving relegation.

It'll come down to either winning away at Palace on the last day of the league or somehow having to win the UECL final to get the final coefficient points for 5th place to qualify.

I can't imagine the VT meltdown if we have to win at Athens to get into the UCL and our first trophy in decades. 

at this stage of the season strange results start to happen

teams drop points where they would have expected not to

teams pick up points where they would not expect to

it happens every season in the run in. pressure mounts from varying quarters when all of a sudden you realise the games are running out.

as has been mentioned previously, there are many more twists and turn to come and not just from Villa.

4 minutes ago, imavillan said:

it happens every season in the run in. pressure mounts from varying quarters when all of a sudden you realise the games are running out.

as has been mentioned previously, there are many more twists and turn to come and not just from Villa.

Isn't this also what happens at the start of the season when teams are just finding their feet, and also in the middle of the season when Cup matches and international breaks and the holiday schedule mean that games are coming thick and fast?

Basically, it's league football.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Exactly this. Plenty of teams fighting for things, plenty not got anything to play for, long seasons and tired players. Plenty of time for weird results to pop up. We need to make sure we keep picking up points, no matter what.

• Like 1