Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ha, if they won their game in hand of course. 

We’re giving a free 3 points to team that averages 1.6 PPG over the season and 3 points before another match has finished and ignoring an 18 GD deficit. This thread has been hilarious.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

If 5th becomes enough, and say we beat Brentford this weekend and Utd lose to Liverpool, Villa mathematically would only need 7 points from 6 games to be certain of qualification - and that’s if Utd win all their remaining 7 games.

Which they will of course 

Just now, fightoffyour said:

We’re giving a free 3 points to team that averages 1.6 PPG over the season and 3 points before another match has finished and if ignoring an 18 GD deficit. This thread has been hilarious.

Mate I’m not given them anything. I think they are shit. They probably will beat Sheffield United though although I wouldn’t bet on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Which they will of course 

We’ve all been bitten a lot of times in the past with optimism, but the stats and probabilities make it incredibly likely we are top 5 now. 
We’ve just got to bite the bullet and support Liverpool and City in European competitions now to give us a fall back of 5th place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Did any genuinely think United would catch us if they won today? Or is everyone just responding to @CVByrne

Yeh of course it would have been a potential outcome.  Watched us for enough years to not take anything for granted.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It’s actually a good result for Man United in their pursuit of us. They’ve actually improved their goal difference tonight so that’s a massive swing of two goals in one game so I would say they nailed on for fifth and outside chance of fourth

#skysports

Edited by Follyfoot

2 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

We’ve all been bitten a lot of times in the past with optimism, but the stats and probabilities make it incredibly likely we are top 5 now. 
We’ve just got to bite the bullet and support Liverpool and City in European competitions now to give us a fall back of 5th place.

This is true. Not sure fans that are a bit cautious should keep getting mocked. Those that write us off and have no faith deserve a bit of ribbing though.

UTV

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

Yeh of course it would have been a potential outcome.  Watched us for enough years to not take anything for granted.

Fair but this United team is probably the worst I can ever remember and this Villa team one of the best. It would be an extraordinary turnaround.

There are lots fo people who thought they could catch us with a win tonight, hence all the celebrations that they lost

But it's quite simply obvious that even with a win they wouldn't have stood a chance, we would have still been eight points ahead and with a far superior goal difference

And you can factor in their probable wins and claim the gap is as good as shortened to this or that amount, but if you're going to factor in probable Manchester United wins, then you have to do the same for us, just as they're likely to win games so are we, we've shown top four since Emery came in, and we don't even need to equal between now and the end of the season to finish above United, regardless of whether they had have won tonight or not

Also if they'd have won that wouldn't have meant that they were then suddenly going to go on a run and win all their remaining games, this is a team that have only won one of their last five, will probably be one win in their last six after the weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ha, if they won their game in hand of course. 

The thing with that is their game in hand isn't until April 24th or something. So given we have Brentford and Bournemouth at home before it's actually feasible we could've been even further ahead of them than the current 11 point advantage when they played Sheffield United at home.

If they were playing it next week then it would be a totally different dynamic. As it happens they'll lose to Liverpool now with the quick turnaround and I really fancy Bournemouth to turn them over again with the pace they have in the final third.

• Like 1

I actually jumped from my seat watching the Chelsea v Man U game whilst on the tube when Palmer scored the winner. Looked a right div! 🤣

Edited by newhamvilla

Spare a thought for spurs fans tonight. It's not quite the same, but it's not a million miles off us cheering a blues goal

They absolutely despise Chelsea 

• Haha 1

ten Hag is the managerial equivalent of signing those Dutch league players with 44 goals and 163 assists per season and then they finish their prem seasons with 1 goal and 3 assists.

Glorious.

• Like 1

I had a bet on Chelsea to win and then put another on a draw in play. When they scored the penalty I quickly cashed out the draw in case United ended up going up the other end and scoring!  I must have managed it just in time.

• Like 2