Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Just how they play/are could easily see Spurs losing to Forest but then beating Arsenal and City. 

I think Liverpool will batter them. They really wound up Liverpool after the last game

22 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

We're mentioned on the first page. I hope that helps 😂

Wow I missed that! Thanks, my narcissism thanks you. 😁

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

THANK YOU!

It's driving me crazy that people are still mentioning them. They're irrelevant

Too right! Just to further illustrate this point (because I am a sadist)...

If our PPG dropped to 1 (relegation form), we'd end up on 67 points. Man Utd would then need to accumulate 20 points in the next 10 games to overtake us when you factor in goal difference.

They would need to pick up wins against Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton, Crystal Palace and then one win (or two draws) against Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Man Utd overtaking us would not only require their biggest upswing in form over the course of the entire season, but it would also require us to embark on a run of form far below Emery's worst in his entire Villa career.

United can do one.

• Like 4

Just now, JPAngel said:

Too right! Just to further illustrate this point (because I am a sadist)...

If our PPG dropped to 1 (relegation form), we'd end up on 67 points. Man Utd would then need to accumulate 20 points in the next 10 games to overtake us when you factor in goal difference.

They would need to pick up wins against Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Burnley, Newcastle, Brighton, Crystal Palace and then one win (or two draws) against Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Man Utd overtaking us would not only require their biggest upswing in form over the course of the entire season, but it would also require us to embark on a run of form far below Emery's worst in his entire Villa career.

United can do one.

it's mad.

Another way to look at it is if Man Utd won 7 of their last 9 games, which is a run of results and PPG that literally nothing suggest they're capable of... we'd STILL only need 10 points to beat them. 3 wins and a draw from 8 games

They are not going to catch us. They won't even be close

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

Agreed but the main point is Spurs have actually done well against most teams.

Again, Man Utd are a big factor here as four of Spur's points came against them.

26 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

?? Post the right one then 

11 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Stupid question but I'll ask it: How will we know if the Premier League haas bee given that additional CL place? I don't understand the coefficient system, I just want to know if 5th will get a CL place!

I follow this tweeter to know

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I follow this tweeter to know

Okay.... That's slightly different to what I posted. Quick question though, don't 2 Countries get an additional spot? 

It also states guaranteed points from AC v Roma already included?

Edited by avfc1982am

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You say "only" 8 points as if that's a small gap. It's an absolutely huge gape at this end of the table with only 8 games left.

It's not going to happen.

it's mathematically possible, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest that they are capable of the huge uptick in form they require, and that we are capable of the incredible collapse that is required for them to overtake us. And it's been that way for several weeks.

They are far more likely to finish 7th than they are to finish 5th.

We are not in questionable form. We are 4th in the form table. Man Utd are 8th.

This season they are now irrelevant for the top 4/5 race

I have become a pessimist as a result of years of football torture and disappointments, just can't find myself saying it's over till it is over. 

Also I truly believe in football curses and statements coming back to haunt (we will probably get an 8 points reduction because of FFP and to help Utd get champions league next season). Therefore I will not say irrelevant, untill they mathematically are irrelevant :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Okay.... That's slightly different to what I posted. Quick question though, don't 2 Countries get an additional spot? 

Yes but Italy are doing the best and will almost certainly get one. It’s between us and Germany for the second spot. They are slightly ahead of us at the moment. We need the English clubs to do well and the German clubs to do badly. So support the English teams and hope that Athletico Madrid beat Dortmund. Unfortunately we could also do with West Ham beating Leverkusen, City beating Real Madrid and Arsenal beating Bayern. Liverpool beating Atalanta is the only one I feel confident about. 

It should all become clearer after this round.

Edit- forgot us! Villa beating Lille helps the 5th place spot also so it is partly in our own hands.

Edited by WallisFrizz
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I have become a pessimist as a result of years of football torture and disappointments, just can't find myself saying it's over till it is over. 

Also I truly believe in football curses and statements coming back to haunt (we will probably get an 8 points reduction because of FFP and to help Utd get champions league next season). Therefore I will not say irrelevant, untill they mathematically are irrelevant :) 

Ah, so it's a trauma response. Understood! :P

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It also states guaranteed points from AC v Roma already included?

Yours was a 5-year-rolling coefficient table for the ranking of leagues, not sure what for other than to rank them, but the extra places - yes two of them - are awarded on this year's coefficient only.

AC and Roma play each other, so the coefficient points for that tie will all go to Italy regardless of the result in each leg and the winner.

Just now, Pongo Waring said:

Think this account is just making the odds percentage up each day

No @NilsMackay that they quote makes up the percentages but the Football Rankings tweeter generally posts just the points like the picture in the tweet.

13 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yes but Italy are doing the best and will almost certainly get one. It’s between us and Germany for the second spot. They are slightly ahead of us at the moment. We need the English clubs to do well and the German clubs to do badly. So support the English teams and hope that Athletico Madrid beat Dortmund. Unfortunately we could also do with West Ham beating Leverkusen, City beating Real Madrid and Arsenal beating Bayern. Liverpool beating Atalanta is the only one I feel confident about. 

It should all become clearer after this round.

Yes but you need to factor in that Harry Kane plays for Bayern... It's a sure banker they end up with no trophy 😂

Seriously though. I don't see WH beating Leverkusen but I fancy Athletico to turn over Dortmund. City and Madrid is a 50/50. Lille will be a tough fixture for us but think we'll scrape it. I agree that Liverpool should beat Atalanta and I expect Fiorentina to also win. 

Either way, we do what we need to in the league and it's all irrelevant. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

My response to that trauma is to calm my PTSD with maths :) 

• Haha 3

The European draws were probably the worst we could have had in terms of the percentage chance of England getting 2nd spot. However, on the flip side, if Arsenal beat Bayern, City beat Madrid and one of Leverkusen/Dortmund go out then we are pretty much guaranteed that 5th spot. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Again, Man Utd are a big factor here as four of Spur's points came against them.

True but they have drawn away to City and Arsenal and beaten us.