Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

31 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Haven't really been keeping up with the 5th spot rules. Can anybody summarise them? Are we basically hoping English clubs do better than German clubs? When will we know for sure what 5th place gets?

Yes.

Though also a chance that the Italian clubs implode and we overtake them. But they have a decent lead at the moment. 

Also a chance that Spain do really well and catch up to us, Germany or Italy.

It's 2 spots out of the 4 countries and we are currently third.

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

Bit harsh mate. We were 4 nil up after 30 minutes against them only a few weeks ago.

I mean in general. 

I think we have a bad trait of switching off once it gets too comfortable 

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

To quote Southgate, that's a bit of recency bias.

We're top in the league in terms of holding onto points - having only dropped 3 points (United away) once we've taken the lead.

Arsenal have dropped 9 points in comparison after taking the lead.

Best in the league. Good to see someone focusing on the positives. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

To quote Southgate, that's a bit of recency bias.

We're top in the league in terms of holding onto points - having only dropped 3 points (United away) once we've taken the lead.

Arsenal have dropped 9 points in comparison after taking the lead.

The other 14? I take it Chelsea will make it 'the other 15' from next season following back to back bottom half finishes?

They can't just be referred to as big 6 for old times sake.

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The other 14? I take it Chelsea will make it 'the other 15' from next season following back to back bottom half finishes?

They can't just be referred to as big 6 for old times sake.

They're still "big 6" in terms of revenue, which dwarfs ours.  Is there a list of clubs that voted for FFP initially in 2011? Be interesting to see who wanted it.

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Haven't really been keeping up with the 5th spot rules. Can anybody summarise them? Are we basically hoping English clubs do better than German clubs? When will we know for sure what 5th place gets?

If you have Twitter, there’s a page called Football Rankings which summarises everything really well and keeps tabs on a daily basis. They have England at 80% probability for fifth place to take a spot, with Germany at 20%. Italy are 90% likely to take the other of the two spots. Bayern Munich going out tonight would be a good start. We could have a clearer picture after this week’s European games but it all depends on results. A team gets two points for a match win, one point for a draw and one point for advancing to the next round (this point only applies to the semi and final for the conference). Points are divided by the number of teams each country entered into Europe. So 8 for England and 7 for Germany. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

If you have Twitter, there’s a page called Football Rankings which summarises everything really well and keeps tabs on a daily basis. They have England at 80% probability for fifth place to take a spot, with Germany at 20%. Italy are 90% likely to take the other of the two spots. Bayern Munich going out tonight would be a good start. We could have a clearer picture after this week’s European games but it all depends on results. A team gets two points for a match win, one point for a draw and one point for advancing to the next round (this point only applies to the semi and final for the conference). Points are divided by the number of teams each country entered into Europe. So 8 for England and 7 for Germany. 

England should rise in the ranking this week and next.  We were actually disadvantaged by having the English teams top the Europa groups, as it meant none of them played in the playoff round, and despite that we're still in in touching distance of 2nd.  I can't see how we don't get at least 2nd, unless all teams bomb out this round.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

England should rise in the ranking this week and next.  We were actually disadvantaged by having the English teams top the Europa groups, as it meant none of them played in the playoff round, and despite that we're still in in touching distance of 2nd.  I can't see how we don't get at least 2nd, unless all teams bomb out this round.

Wasn’t there bonus points for topping the group and going through to compensate for the points other teams could pick up in the play offs?

But yes, let’s hope so. Fifth place being secure could relieve some tension from the run in, albeit we still want to finish as high as we can. 

knowing Villa we will win the Europa Conference, which becomes the deciding factor which gives England a 5th Champions League space, which allows Spurs into Champions League , who we face in later rounds and then they knock us out!

58 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Christ 😂

Hahaha my God, they seriously overrate their players don’t they? If Torres played for them he’d be the greatest defender of all time.

Be great to beat them in their cup final on Sunday.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Hahaha my God, they seriously overrate their players don’t they? If Torres played for them he’d be the greatest defender of all time.

Be great to beat them in their cup final on Sunday.

My favourite reply to the original tweet was 'The balls to make that pass is insane'. There's no pressure on him ffs and the passing lane is clear 😂😂😭

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

My favourite reply to the original tweet was 'The balls to make that pass is insane'. There's no pressure on him ffs and the passing lane is clear 😂😂😭

Yeah this Man United side are famous for cutting out passing lanes…

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If 5th place qualifies for the champions league, will that team go straight into the group stage or have to qualify via a playoff?

With the new format - the group stage is much different so I'm pretty sure that the 5th spot goes straight into the super league....errr....the new UCL format.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Thanks 1