Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

I am well aware. You can play well and lose. 

We haven’t played well then… we conceded two really poor goals and looked pretty clueless in the final third…. If we keep doing that, we aren’t winning anything 

Edited by Tayls

It honestly does feel as if certain fans are almost willing us to have a collapse. Some seem to be absolutely revelling in it. Bit pathetic really.

@Spoony is right - we played well and psychologically Man United have a unique edge over us. If we play like that for the rest of the season we'll be fine. I was worried we'd see a repeat of the Newcastle/Chelsea performance but we didn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

That's the big problem that remains for us as a club really.

We're a better footballing team than Man. United. We showed that for about 80% of the game.

However they hung in there somehow and while likes of Diaby and Luiz were wasterfully screwing shots wide at 1-1 they produced the cross of the game and won it.

We can never shake off the feeling no matter how much we spent that we're not quite good enough to achieve things at a crucial part of the season.

It's an inferiority complex we can't quite kick the habit of. Was there in the MON seasons and looks like this season is going to turn out a replica of 08/09 which will be even more crushing.

We have hung in and scraped victories plenty of times this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spoony said:

Some perspective - we actually played well. We are mentally incapable of beating Man Utd. Play like that in our upcoming games and we remain in the running. 

To win a trophy we're going to have to win this type of game and beat this sort of opponent, that will remain the long term issue.

The wins v Arsenal and Man. City were brilliant but that's the problem, you win nothing in December and we always seem to be burnt out once the season goes into the final third and others step up and surpass us.

The lead might be 5 points but tbh we're going to be dropping more points in the coming weeks as Carlos-Lenglet is a really poor combination against set pieces and crosses, both completely disappeared for the winner and left Cash to deal with a guy miles bigger than him.

Why are we just naming Pau on the bench to never use him?!

Still everything to play for.

No reason to throw in the towel

We have Fulham, Forest and Luton town next.

If we get 7-9 points from that we'll be in a very healthy position

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

We're still 5 points ahead of them and with better goal difference. This result is very bad, there's no getting around it, but it was hardly unlikely and we're still involved. At least there were signs of improvement in the performance today. 

Lots of work for Emery to do though, the danger of choking completely is very real.

I’m under no illusions. But we can’t let one defeat define us, it’s very deflating yes, but I felt overall for the most part, we had a good response today. I think overplaying Bailey and losing Kamara today had a big influence. 

Too much pressure for these boys. 6th and guaranteed Europa is our level and what we should be focusing on. This is not a champions league team right now, I don’t care. We need to time to build. 

5 points now! Need results and fast before we sink faster than the titanic.

Would be a complete bottle job if we were to finish lower than 5th. Worse than the MON 4th spot! 

Still in our favor but it's looking grim! Need wins to boost the confidence!!

Watkins had a bad day in front of old c*ck nose, so that's ammo to leave him out the England Squad and recall Toney (who ever said cheats don't win.. but that's another subject!)

• Like 1

Some fans have a loser mentality, we're 1 point off 4th and still in Europe in February. Lots still to play for and some big players to come back into the team.

Edited by VillaJay
  • Like 2

Just now, Spoony said:

We have hung in and scraped victories plenty of times this season. 

Can we still do that in the run in when it really really matters?

If it's 1-1 v Spurs with 10 minutes left will we just throw away another match in which we're pretty comfortable? Same if we're 1-1 v Man. City or Arsenal away with a few minutes left?

Bad habits are really forming now especially at VP which is a huge problem as we've completely lost the invincibility feeling we had for all of 2023.

Definite improvement today despite the absolute sickener of a result.

We've blown a great lead which is gutting, but our form is climbing and we have Pau and Digne returning, and Ramsey looking better.

There's still a race that we're in, it's just now a 100m sprint to May rather than a marathon that we were cruising comfortably in.

We now have Fulham, Forest and Luton. Has to be nine points.

Edited by jayEm
  • Like 2

Just now, Spoony said:

Christ you know what I think I am actually done with this forum. It is incredibly toxic in its negativity and makes being a Villa fan less enjoyable. 

It is.

And I get the feeling that some folks are just waiting for a reason to spread the toxicity.

We're still in an amazing position in the league. I'm still very excited about the season ahead

• Like 3