Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Literally hours ago you couldn't see where the next win was coming from. 

Extreme.

Figure of speech. Poor phrasing. You know what I mean. Our form at the moment is horrific and our back 4 is a car crash. We’ll be miles off top 4 if we continue as we are. 

52 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Uphill battle from here to get a CL spot, unless our performances pick up drastically and quickly.

Indeed.

If we can get 2/3rds of City performance levels again, we beat most teams I feel.

Again though, our key players play a massive role in this.

If we get the Kamara and Doug from the other night we may just have to pack it in 😂

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

Explain this please!!?

If you can enjoy fighting for European places I don't know what to tell you.

Must be miserable if you can't be positive when we are doing well.

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

If you can enjoy fighting for European places I don't know what to tell you.

Must be miserable if you can't be positive when we are doing well.

Should have made it clearer that this was a joke, apologies. I favour an interrobang for this purpose, but, doesn't always work.

Still think we are putting too much on this game, far too much.

Take a step back. In the title race with Ipswich in 1980-81 we lost to them twice and still won the title. 

People describing today as season defining. Well I would rather think our back to back wins against Man City and Arsenal are season defining of the progress we are making.

It is a big game, don't get me wrong, but we will have key players coming back in the weeks ahead and no reason why we can't rack up 8 or 9 more wins between now and the end of the season.

UTV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Repeated qualification for the CL won't be easy but the alternative isnt to just qualify once either. We will play the extra games whichever European tournament we are in so the extra game argument I hear from some, doesn't stack up.

But we need to win today so badly and at worst, just not lose. We need to finish 5th this season and can then see whats what next year.

Playing teams in the Champions League will (obviously) be far more draining than playing Hibs or Zrinjski Mostar.

41 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Still think we are putting too much on this game, far too much.

Take a step back. In the title race with Ipswich in 1980-81 we lost to them twice and still won the title. 

People describing today as season defining. Well I would rather think our back to back wins against Man City and Arsenal are season defining of the progress we are making.

It is a big game, don't get me wrong, but we will have key players coming back in the weeks ahead and no reason why we can't rack up 8 or 9 more wins between now and the end of the season.

UTV

Sort of agree, some of the comments across the fanbase make it seem like we will be deducted 15 points if we lose or something lol.

Saw someone say if we lose this we will continue to drop like a weight and finish 10th - 12th.

In fairness, the fact that we are 24/25 games into a season, and a now " must win " game for us, is one to ensure we keep distance inside the top 5, over Tottenham and Man U, against Man U, is a testament to how far we've come in itself. ( As opposed to trying to get to 40 points asap )

Momentum does play a part in this, unfortunately for us, Man U have now picked some up, and we've lost some.

Even after today though, there will still be a good amount of points to play for, pendulum swings etc and our good start gave us a good cushion for some " faltering ".

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Playing teams in the Champions League will (obviously) be far more draining than playing Hibs or Zrinjski Mostar.

Not to mention we would likely select a very different 11 for a match against Mostar than against Dortmund. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe, but we would have a squad to cope you'd hope. 

48 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Watching Arsenal here reminds me just how far we’ve got to go. Emery is working miracles but they’re miles better than us.

And so they should be for the ludicrous amount of money they spent.

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Psychologically huge 

Yep, all about momentum, if they win they’ll be confident of catching us. Really bad time for us to be dropping form as of late.

Am really not looking forward to it me.

Absolutely zero chance of top 3, if there ever even was. City and Arsenal have hit form an Liverpool are only going to get stronger when Salah is back.

We're in a straight shootout with Spurs. If Untied or anyone else catch us then we wouldn't deserve 4th anyway.