Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Be nice to get a convincing win tonight. Nice early goal and the confidence will get flowing. Head into the weekend sitting pretty and full of confidence hopefully. 

Absolutely this. While at risk of being negative, we've got 21 points from 10 games but some of those we've really dug a result out against some not great teams and we're about 10 games too early for me to be at the point where we're nicking a win or draw. I really hope the break helped and we get Torres back soon

Praying we can hang on to top five and PL gets the fifth CL spot at this point I think. My optimism for achieving that is directly proportional to how soon Pau returns.

• Like 2

On 28/01/2024 at 13:03, Davkaus said:

After what happened at their place, there shouldn't be an easier game to fire the team up for this season.

:(

If they can't fire themselves up for a game like this, what's **** wrong with them.

• Like 1

Emery is a Europa League manager in all fairness.

Winning hte Europa League is in likeliness our best chance to get CL football.

We can't compete with top 4 because of FFP

Just now, Tom13 said:

Way off it. When was our last good performance?

Honestly Man City. And first 10 mins of Arsenal.

We've lost our home win record to Sheffield, one of the worst teams in the history of the top flight let alone the Premier League, and Newcastle, a team with one away win all season. Embarrassing and no matter how you look at it nowhere near good enough.

• Like 3

We can still finish 4th but we need to find our form fast. How we respond next game is crucial. If we don't beat Sheff Utd this season we don't deserve top 4.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Way off it. When was our last good performance?

Man City is the last game I can say we played well.

Were lucky against Arsenal.

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

:(

If they can't fire themselves up for a game like this, what's **** wrong with them.

Was thinking this. Made Mugs of us at Newcastle, thought we would come out on the front foot, but seems a couple of players are, dare I say it, on the beach. Luiz and Diaby have been stand out pants!

We don't even have to be amazing to finish 5th. Probably 20 odd points or so from the next 16 matches. Will be criminal if we finish any lower after such a good opportunity.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 3

The first time all season that I've been genuinely concerned we could properly fall off now. 

Been a pretty dreadful few weeks but we've been fortunate not to have been punished for anything too much. Tonight was just a battering. 

Stick a fork in it. We're done. We have no form or momentum. Spurs will fly past us. Can we hold onto 5th and  hope that's enough? I don't know.

Severely lacking in inspiration. Until we put in a good.performsnce again it's hard to have confidence we'll be up there in May. Keeping more of an eye on West ham and Brighton results.