Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

11 hours ago, villan95 said:

Good to see that we have been one of the top 4 performing teams this season statistically. Gives me hope that it will be sustainable.

Yes we’re in a good spot statistically. It’s no flash in the pan. Just want everyone to be somewhat realistic if we start slipping into 3rd/4th place. 

Unai has said the same that our goal should be champions league and specifically mentioned some of the under performers (Chelsea, Newcastle) though I think he’s being very generous in mentioning United. 

• Like 1

Bit of a shame it's us v Spurs for 4th and it looks like they're bringing in Werner, Gallagher and Dragusin.

Three first teamers!

It'll be such an achievement if we hold them off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Bit of a shame it's us v Spurs for 4th and it looks like they're bringing in Werner, Gallagher and Dragusin.

Three first teamers!

And getting important players back from injury. Maddison should be back soon.

If FFP restricts us from doing business then so be it but we just have to hope guys like Diaby and JJ find their form soon. They will be vital down the stretch.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Three first teamers!

I'm sorry, but Werner has been laughed out of the country while at Chelsea, it's the first big transfer for Dragusin, Gallagher won't happen yet until summer.

Nothing to be worried about on the transfer front in my opinion. 

They are a good team, but this window won't change much. 

• Like 2

Quite a strange weekend where we really want Newcastle to beat Man. City (or at least not lose) and same for Man. United v Spurs.

If you'd said that two months ago it would've been very much the other way round but that's testament to the hard work we've put in since middle of September to be in the position where Newcastle or Man. United winning dosen't really impact too much.

Man. United got back all of Shaw, Martinez and Casemiro for this so you have to think they'll put in a better 90 minute performance against a Spurs side still missing half their regulars so confident on that one, can't see Newcastle doing anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Three first teamers!

I don't think he's going to be enough to Dragusin to 5th place...

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Good to see Newcastle capitulation there to City. Hopefully morale stays low for when they come to Villa Park at the end of the month 

We can all dream about the title but every Newcastle/Spurs/United loss helps us more to secure the a UCL spot. 

• Like 3

Just now, DJBOB said:

We can all dream about the title but every Newcastle/Spurs/United loss helps us more to secure the a UCL spot. 

Yes exactly we are really in a Champions League race. We know City and Liverpool will go in a strong run to finish the season 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Three first teamers!

I love your gushing posts about Spurs. Werner on separate videos has been called a banter signing and a stocking filler 

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I don’t really think Newcastle have a serious hope of getting a CL spot. Would rather they had taken points off City tbf.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Three first teamers!

Three first teamers is an awful lot to integrate quickly into a team that’s is already quite hit and miss and a bit chaotic. Will be fun to watch but it will be quite an achievement if things settle down before March/April.

Spurs/Chelsea I’m most worried about. 

Luckily I think we’re better in key areas than each team - better than Spurs defensively and better than Chelsea in attack mostly from their complete lack of goal scorers. 

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Spurs/Chelsea I’m most worried about. 

Luckily I think we’re better in key areas than each team - better than Spurs defensively and better than Chelsea in attack mostly from their complete lack of goal scorers. 

And we play them both at home having beaten both of them away. 

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

And we play them both at home having beaten both of them away. 

Spurs imo is one of the trickiest games left on the schedule. Arguable but probably tougher than Liverpool which could be a dead rubber for them e.g. secure top 4 but out of the title race.

We play Spurs three days after our round of 16 first leg so Unai will have a decision to make if we draw someone away in eastern europe. Spurs will have a free week to prepare and come at us from kick off.

• Like 1