Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

5 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Something I’ve not seen much about is the fact Liverpool are losing Salah for AFCON, he’s been involved in over 50% of their goals 

True……but we’re losing Bertie as well 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Two players in and I think we’ll get top 4. 

Compared to the other teams if we fall the better side of luck with injuries and bans I think we'll get top 5...

I'm probably making this up but can you imagine if we get to a scenario where we need to win the ECL in order to push the coefficient over the line? Or need man city to win the CL? We finish 5th then go in to one of the finals needing an English win 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Compared to the other teams if we fall the better side of luck with injuries and bans I think we'll get top 5...

I'm probably making this up but can you imagine if we get to a scenario where we need to win the ECL in order to push the coefficient over the line? Or need man city to win the CL? We finish 5th then go in to one of the finals needing an English win 

Yeah, I’m the same. Heart says 4th but head says probably 5th which would still be a remarkable achievement imo. Really don’t see us doing a lot in Jan window so think we will go with what we’ve got. 

UCL will obvs be a factor and I guess decisions around team lineup strength will be made in the latter stages assuming 4th is still a viable target. 

Very interesting thoughts on the impact of the euro coefficient 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Or we don’t care because we’ll get Top4 because while we can’t predict the future our ppg runrate since Emery came in, ~13 months ago, suggests we will.  

History suggests 75 points is more than enough for Top4…we need 36 points from 20 games, that’s 12 wins in 20 games…that’s well within Emery’s wheelhouse isn’t it?  

So taking out emotion, perceived strength of others, pure maths and stats points to Top4.  We do our business, we don’t worry about what others do. Maths!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, eholm said:

Heart says 4th but head says probably 5th

Surely your heart is saying 5th but your head says 4th in this.  

Your heart is based on emotion so you perceive we are the weaker of the surrounding teams.  

Your head looks at facts and stats and sees Emery’s tenure ppg, this seasons ppg, all better than Spurs.

We are ahead at the moment, an incredible home record, we have players coming back from injury and we are half way through the season.  

Your head sees all them facts.  

Then add on we have Emery therefore your head says 4th but your heart based on Villa letting us down over the years and Spurs and media telling you they are better thus you think 5th.

Edited by nick76

Just now, nick76 said:

Your heart and head are based on Villa gonna villa

😜

This ain't your daddies villa... During games I've got a totally different mindset and confidence in us getting over the line but I still can't translate that to CL or winning the ECL yet 

Hopefully that means when we do it I've got an element of shock enhancing the joy

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Surely your heart is saying 5th but your head says 4th in this.  

Your heart is based on emotion so you perceive we are the weaker of the surrounding teams.  

Your head looks at facts and stats and sees Emery’s tenure ppg, this seasons ppg, all better than Spurs.

We are ahead at the moment, an incredible home record, we have players coming back from injury and we are half way through the season.  

Your head sees all them facts.  

Then add on we have Emery therefore your head says 4th but your heart based on Villa letting us down over the years and Spurs and media telling you they are better thus you think 5th.

Wow! Fair play mate that is some analysis there! Ever thought about a career as a psychiatrist 😆

I can see where you are coming from but it’s all a lot simpler than that with me. I would love us to finish 4th (heart) but just feel in terms of where our squad is now 5th is more likely (head).

• Like 1

Still think it’s going to be between us, Spurs and Newcastle for 4th despite the league table probably suggesting Newcastle are far behind us right now. You’d imagine they will do some business in January, probably get some returning injured players in Jan and then have only one game a week for the rest of the season to help them. 

Race for 4th is going to be exciting to watch, going to be weeks that go in our favour and weeks that don’t (Spurs winning yesterday). It took Man Utd and Newcastle till their 37th game to confirm top 4 last season and it will go to the wire again no doubt! 

Edited by RichW
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RichW said:

Still think it’s going to be between us, Spurs and Newcastle for 4th despite the league table probably suggesting Newcastle are far behind us right now. You’d imagine they will do some business in January, probably get some returning injured players in Jan and then have only one game a week for the rest of the season to help them. 

Race for 4th is going to be exciting to watch, going to be weeks that go in our favour and weeks that don’t (Spurs winning yesterday). It took Man Utd and Newcastle till their 37th game to confirm top 4 last season and it will go to the wire again no doubt! 

Newcastle? We would have to collapse completely.  Emery had a better ppg than Newcastle from the start of his tenure last season.  We are 10 points clear now and we don’t play in Europe again until March.  They aren’t in the equation.

I don’t understand the pessimism from some. We have one iffy result at home, not helped by poor officials but we are formidable at home.

We are second in the league having beat City, Arsenal, Spurs in the last two weeks plus two draws but a team with injuries and 10 points behind are going to catch us if things go well for them in four weeks time by the close of the window.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, RichW said:

Spurs look the bigger threat at present and wouldn't be surprised if they finished in the top 4. Obviously hope they don't.

I'm not, at present, as concerned with Newcastle. Unless their away form improves dramatically then I can't see them finishing above us but obviously things can change quickly so still respect it is possible.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Could do with United losing a few more before all their injured defenders return. At some point they will go on a decent run. Newcastle I think will miss Pope too much so not as concerned about them anymore. Spurs definitely the biggest threat to us. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just want to quote this from the Title thread because this thread is a bit depressing today.  I don’t think we’ll win the title but I’m more confident that not we’ll get Top4.  

3 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Form in the 14 games since we lost to Liverpool (the last time we were outplayed, when this season's system was still finding its feet) :

Villa 33 pts

Arsenal 30 pts

Liverpool 29 pts

Spurs 26 pts

Man City 22 pts

• Like 1