Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Not the best not the worst CL draw. Lazio should get thumped by Bayern. Hopefully Barcelona have sorted their problems out by time they face Napoli. 

Inter will have a chance against Atletico. Arsenal and City should get through easily 

• Confused 1

I make it that 11 more wins will be enough for top 4, assuming we draw at least a couple too. If we can get at least two more out of the three games before new year, I think the top 4 job is as good as done. The foundations will have been laid. We would only need 30 points or so from the last 18 games. Interestingly, 5 out of 7 of our games against the other top / big 8 will be at home in the second half of the season, which shouldn’t hurt either. 

2 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Well we are about mid way through the season so shouldn’t everyone’s fixtures be pretty much the same at this point? 

Yep. I think april end of march time they ahve a horrendous run of tough games 

Also they have to go to chelsea utd newcastle liverpool us

Fun article on Opta about being top at Christmas, just in case it happens. In the PL era, only once has a team top at Christmas finished outside the top 4 (and y'all know who that was!)

Teams top at Christmas go on to win the title 52% of the time in the PL era (45% all time). 

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/12/top-of-the-league-at-christmas-does-it-mean-anything/

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Fun article on Opta about being top at Christmas, just in case it happens. In the PL era, only once has a team top at Christmas finished outside the top 4 (and y'all know who that was!)

Teams top at Christmas go on to win the title 52% of the time in the PL era (45% all time). 

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/12/top-of-the-league-at-christmas-does-it-mean-anything/

I'm such a sucker for articles like this!

One thing I found interesting is that, if we're top at Christmas and we implode as we did in 1999, we'd still finish above where we finished last season 😅

• Haha 1

On 18/12/2023 at 15:17, Demitri_C said:

Yep. I think april end of march time they ahve a horrendous run of tough games 

Also they have to go to chelsea utd newcastle liverpool us

They are also losing some big players to AFCON and Son to the asia cup.

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

🍆🍆🍆😅

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Are we invited to the new Super League now?

Still not going to happen. After the last aborted launch, all the PL clubs signed up to a clause saying they would be ejected from English football if they take part. Nothing to see here...

On 20/12/2023 at 11:37, JPAngel said:

I'm such a sucker for articles like this!

One thing I found interesting is that, if we're top at Christmas and we implode as we did in 1999, we'd still finish above where we finished last season 😅

Only one team has been top at Christmas and not finished in the Top 4 at end of season in Premier League Era. Aston Villa in 89/99. Can we do it again?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Still not going to happen. After the last aborted launch, all the PL clubs signed up to a clause saying they would be ejected from English football if they take part. Nothing to see here...

In the national interest to leave things alone and let Premier League become the super league as the gap to the other countries widens. UK government will make sure to keep it like that.

What it will mean is there is more clubs say in the European Club game and especially the big leagues. It is a joke that only 6/7 clubs from Premier League qualify for Europe each season there should be 10 or 12. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Apparently, UEFA are set to abandon the new Champions League format next season, will remain in current format.  No 5th place lads, we'll have to secure top 4 👀

This is not good for us. Not only does fifth place not get CL, but the new format is much fairer for lower ranked teams. We will be in the group with the lowest ranked team, but due to the new format we will not face better opposition than, for example, Real Madrid. But look at the group Newcastle got this year!