Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 hours ago, colhint said:

I suppose Afcon will have some impact.

Isn't it only really Traore we have as an African player now? I could be totally wrong.

If you're mistakenly thinking about the likes of Diaby, he's French.

EDIT: Haven't read back through the thread, and just realised you probably mean an impact in our competitors!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

22 minutes ago, Gompedyret said:

I desperately want us to beat one of Liverpool, ManCity, Arsenal or Tottenham. only after that am I going to allow myself to believe this can be something big, already in this season.

We will need to be more ambitious than that to stay in the top 5. We’ve already won lots of games from those fixtures since we’ve been promoted so we should be taking some scalps this season. 

6 hours ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

We will need to be more ambitious than that to stay in the top 5. We’ve already won lots of games from those fixtures since we’ve been promoted so we should be taking some scalps this season. 

With crowds we’ve beaten Spurs twice and that’s about it. I reckon we can beat them again but can see defeats to City and Arsenal with a bit of fatigue kicking in during a very tough week. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

With crowds we’ve beaten Spurs twice and that’s about it. I reckon we can beat them again but can see defeats to City and Arsenal with a bit of fatigue kicking in during a very tough week. 

We’ve beaten spurs three time. Twice away. We did a double over Arsenal in once season and beat Liverpool 7-2. So that’s at least six wins. 

7 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

We’ve beaten spurs three time. Twice away. We did a double over Arsenal in once season and beat Liverpool 7-2. So that’s at least six wins. 

Beating Man Utd at home for the first time in  27 years is also a scalp. They may not be as formidable as they used to be, but still finished 4th last season. 

On 15/11/2023 at 00:51, juanpablosaliceband said:

Oh, more or less everything indicates that we indeed ARE more abitious than that. That is, however, a rather objective description of reality based on what the Villa and Emery has shown this last year regarding attitude, accomplishments and form curve.

I was more thinking about a personal, psychological need, as I wont completely let myself believe in what I see, before we take a few of those scalps as this new Villa entity. But O'boy, when it happens, my satisfaction will be unreasonably big and overwhelming.

3 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think if we start beating the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, etc the players will start to believe as well, which is a very tasty prospect with Emery at the helm.

I believe this is the key to it as well.  Once they start believing, we all saw in that 10 wins in a row in he championship what an effect it can have.  They will go into every game thinking they can win and even if they go behind they will still be thinking they are good enough to come back into it and win.

1 hour ago, burchy said:

I think if we start beating the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, etc the players will start to believe as well, which is a very tasty prospect with Emery at the helm.

I think if we beat Liverpool and Arsenal then our aims would be higher than top 4 or 5. We're not aiming to finish just behind them. 

I keep reading this view that Villa might fall away because likes of Chelsea and Man U will strengthen.

I don't think people get that the reason they're weak is because us and likes of Newcastle are stronger now. 

It's completely in our hands where we finish from this point. We've given ourselves such a strong starting platform. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 21:41, R.Bear said:

My only concern right now is that we've only had three clean sheets all season (not including the Hibs tie) and the last of which in the PL was against 10 man Chelsea 2 months ago.

We've also conceded a lot of BS goals. 2 crazy own goals, a massive deflection for bowens. Even vs Fulham it only come because of the stupid rule about playing the ball meaning the opposing player is no longer offside so konsa couldn't even go for the ball withoubplayi G the winger on. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 22:03, villa89 said:

Spurs, Bournemouth, City and Arsenal the next four. Realistically 4 points is the expectation. Anything more would be a bonus.  

I think you got to say 6 with spurs squad the way it is for our game. 7 is the hope, 9 or 10 would be gravy. 

• Like 2

On 14/11/2023 at 17:56, colhint said:

I suppose Afcon will have some impact.

Yeah I think this will put Liverpool in the mix for the a fringe CL team rather than a clear CL team. Unfortunately we play them in what will be a likely 6pter 2nd last game of the season. 

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

I keep reading this view that Villa might fall away because likes of Chelsea and Man U will strengthen.

I don't think people get that the reason they're weak is because us and likes of Newcastle are stronger now. 

It's completely in our hands where we finish from this point. We've given ourselves such a strong starting platform. 

I disagree - the reason why Chelsea and Man U are weaker is totally down to them.

There are 38 games in a season, we only play each team twice.

Our performance and place in the table is not dependent on any other team. Our season is made by consistent wins against weaker sides, and respectable scores against top sides.  

What Man U or Chelsea do is 100% of no importance to us, other than twice a season when we play them.